PDA

View Full Version : dimension 2400 project

Ps!pHeN
04-28-2005, 01:35 PM
I have a Dell 2400 that has been beat to death from traveling and want to try and do my first mod project with it using the shotgun mod design but with a smaller case. My question is the pci slots are not going to match up so is there an adapter out there that I could buy for my nic, serial, usb..etc? so that I can mount them horizontally on the new gun case?

Bum
04-28-2005, 02:15 PM
If I'm reading your post right, you're going to move the components of Dell 2400 to a gun case, yes? If so, why not just hack out the back panel and modify it as necessary to fit the new case?

Malatory
04-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Yup lots on the net to find .. Riser cards

http://www.mycableshop.com/3rd_Level/PCI32_RiserCards.htm

Ps!pHeN
04-28-2005, 02:44 PM
Yes, I am going to mount my 2400 parts in a gun case(briefcase). I looked into risers, but they will only work for one card and not the rest as it will be overcrouded. In case you didn't see the shotgun server mod here's the link
http://www.suitcaseservers.com/gallery.html
I think you'll get idea of my problem. Do you think I could mount my MB w/cards and tie them in directly to the case using the cable needed for each pci card? Any ideas would be great and thanks

Bum
04-29-2005, 12:39 AM
Ahh...now I think I understand what your question is. You're thinking of mounting the motherboard inside the case and having the appropriate cables run to fittings that you would put on the side of the case which would be same as the fittings on the cards. I'd say that sounds like a good idea but I suspect you will have to create your own adapter cables for some of those. The NIC one would be easy to do, they sell all the parts for that at any electronics shop. The serial would probably be the same deal. The usb would probably be hard to scratch build but maybe you can find a hub or something to modify to fit your needs.

If you are truly a crazy person, or just have skill in this area, you could desolder and extend the original fittings themselves. But for ease of assembly/disassembly I think the adapter cables would probably be better.

Guttenaffe
04-29-2005, 04:25 AM
USB is easy; all you have to do is buy a short male to female cable. Glue some brackets to hold it in place to the female side and you have a USB port to mount elsewhere.

Or make your own from get those duel port expansion slot USB brackets and a male-male USB cable by cutting it and wiring it out to headers to be hooked to the female expansion slot.

Malatory
04-29-2005, 09:16 AM
Now seeing more to what you were wanting .. Yes it can be done ...
Nic.. Just get some CAT5e cable, wall plate plug, and standed RJ45 plug for the other end.

basicly the same for the others. most small computer shops will sell the USB adapters to connect to the headers on motherboards. Just "Mod" one of those to a USB cable and your set.

Ps!pHeN
04-29-2005, 07:43 PM
Sorry to take so long getting back, and thanks for the advice guys!! I will try and send a finished photo so you can see how it tured out.