PDA

View Full Version : Out of room!

Kaej
09-13-2006, 10:21 AM
I'm fitting a water-cooling loop to my newly modded case but there isn't enough room inside the case to hold the hard drives in any proper place.

At the moment i've got two options.

The first is to squeeze all three in with a cooling fan setup behind them on top of my CD-Drive and in front of my MDVA display panel. That'll be a real ****ing squeeze.

The other is to mount them in different locations. One on the side panel that comes off, one on the floor of the case and the other on the rear panel behind the radiator.
Which sounds better?

Chel
09-13-2006, 12:13 PM
You can save yourself the headache and just buy a new case. If you do any of those things you've said you'll have a nightmare trying to organize the cables and they'll probably be running hot.

Airbozo
09-13-2006, 12:40 PM
One advantage to mounting the drive on the side panel is that the side panel becomes a heatsink for the drive. I have done this, but then had the look of the screws on the panel. Did not matter to me at the time since it was a rackmount system.

gobygoby
09-13-2006, 01:27 PM
a wise man once said: think outside the box :)

Airbozo
09-13-2006, 03:22 PM
a wise man once said: think outside the box :)

Yeah but then too many people started saying it and it lost it's magic. I do think that is a great idea though... Externally mounted hd's!

Chel
09-13-2006, 03:38 PM
You can make a bracket or two to run your sata cables outside and make a mounting box with a little fan on the front. Now that would be the best solution imo.

gobygoby
09-13-2006, 04:06 PM
slap some windows with LED's on the HD's..........oooooooooohh ahhhhhhhh!

Kaej
09-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Fixed the problem, and none of the ideas posted were used. I used velcro to attatch one drive on the bottom of the FDD cage (right in front of a fan) another on the floor of the case and another on the side panel of the case where the window used to be. They all have some air flow going over them on one side so they shouldn't get too hot. There are 4X120mm fans and 2x80mm fans with the 2 80s and 2 of the 120s being intake and the other 2 120s and the PSU acting as exhale. I'll keep my eyes on temps though, to make sure i'm not just reassuring myself.

Airbozo
09-13-2006, 06:40 PM
I am all for velcro, but over time (a short period you will find out) the velcro will come unstuck from your drive/case if you used the self sticky kind, and KLUNK, your drive will fall off.

Mr.Paplu
09-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Re: Out of room!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a wise man once said: think outside the box

Genious...

Razors Edge
09-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Ship me you're case, I'll add more 3 inch bays for you with my naighbors welder,drill and electric bill :)

Durrthock
09-29-2006, 04:53 PM
What??