PDA

View Full Version : Scratch-built air filters

Crow_T_Autobot
09-15-2006, 12:19 PM
I'm in the planning stages of a fully scratch-built PC (I'll post a log when I have something to show off), and I want to add some filtering on the incoming air. I find that this isn't a very common item to just pick up pre-built though. I've found only a couple of filters designed to fit onto fans, and they're pre-modded with a visual motif (spider web, etc.) that I would have to remove first.

So I got to thinking about what it would take to make a filter myself. Just something simple and inexpensive that I could replace every other month or so to keep the inside as dust-free as possible.

Anyone ever try this kind of thing before? I was thinking using some kind of dusting cloth as a base, but I need good air flow through it as not to stress the fans. Swiffer cloths? Part of a vacuumn cleaner bag?

Any other ideas you guys can come up with?

***Edit***
After posting, I realized this probably would fit better in Idea Zone. Mods, feel free to move it if you feel the same.

Nagoshi
09-15-2006, 01:25 PM
Soem screening that we can find on doors. They seems to work fine :)

ajmilton
09-15-2006, 01:44 PM
yeah, fine window screen would probably be ok. you can also pick up air conditioner filters and cut them to fit (some are actually designed for this), but that might kill your airflow. i'd hit a home depot (or whatever hardware store you have available) and just look around at their filters.

Crow_T_Autobot
09-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Hadn't thought of just using door screen. Nice idea.
I want it as dust free as possible, so I might use door screen and then some kind of fine fabric that has good breathibility.

I'll have to get some small pieces of these things and test them out with a fan to see if they lose any air flow.

If anyone else has ideas, I'd love to hear them. I'm actually surprised that air filtering isn't more common in mods as dust buildup can effect heat dissipation.

Nagoshi
09-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Well, real modders will keep their cases as clean as possible... by cleaning it like once a month ;)

Actually, I did saw the door screening somewhere, but I dont remember where exacly, the guy actually only used the door screening and it was filled with dust after a while of use. So basically, you buy some screening, cuyt it to the shape, make it fit, and you clean it when you believe it's becoming cloggy. Of course, it will block a bit of airflow, but if you don't want to clean your whole case every month... that may be your solution :)

Airbozo
09-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Forget the door screening, go to a home supply store and pickup Forced air register filters. You can get them in 2 sizes that will cut down nicely to any fan size. They let lots of air flow and filter way better than screen material.

Like this:

http://www.achooallergy.com/webventfilter.asp?utm_id=1200

Vertigo
09-15-2006, 04:43 PM
If you're feeling particularly ghetto, you could also use something like the Swiffer replacement cloth that's used on the swiffer dusters. Stretched over one side of the fan this should work well for keeping dust out, the only real issue as stated above is air flow, so my suggestion use good quality large fans.

Cevinzol
09-15-2006, 07:06 PM
something i'm planning on using is the wrapping I found on some delivered flowers. its kind of a spun fabic like trhe stuff under a stuffed chair and its purple.

tybrenis
09-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Well, real modders will keep their cases as clean as possible... by cleaning it like once a month ;)

Real modder's seal their cases and watercool em'.

Using door screening sounds like a good idea, but I have another recomendation for you.

For my home built airbrush booth, I use furnace filters to filter paint out of my exhausted fumes. It's like 5 bucks for 3-5 of em', and they work quite well, allowing airflow while still filtering. Check them out at your local home depot, one would cover like 50 fans.

Drac998
09-15-2006, 10:07 PM
Women's nylon stockings. Don't ask, but it works great as a filter and keeps the smallest of smallest out. Plus regular cleaning is still needed.

Vertigo
09-29-2006, 01:20 AM
Inexpensive filter, could make some nice grills for it, I got a few of these myself for my new comp.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16800999361

Acey
10-05-2006, 08:06 AM
pantyhose!!!!11!!!111!

a.Bird
10-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Woah, that's an excellent idea Acey. Thanks for the tip!

Cevinzol
10-05-2006, 08:46 PM
that's an excellent idea Acey. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah he got it from Drac998's post on the previous page.
Reading is fundamental.

a.Bird
10-06-2006, 12:09 AM
Thanks smartass, that really changes the fact that it's a great tip.

b4i7
10-06-2006, 06:44 PM
yeah...a while back i was talkin to a guy that ran an arcade.....panty hose are wonderful for filters...the barely (if any) restrict airflow.....and im sure it would be pretty dang easy to find a color to match your case

MitaPi
10-06-2006, 07:07 PM
lol oh man.. can you imagine what ones parents would say if you brought home colorful pantyhose?? :eek: :D

"Uh, its not what you think!"

"Your grounded" "...For life"

"Can I still keep them?"

"No, um, I need them, for something... JUST GO TO YOUR ROOM!"

wild_legs76
10-28-2006, 08:44 PM
try using pantyhoses and cut them to size...

hope this helps

Razors Edge
10-28-2006, 08:57 PM
Ok, well This is sorta on topic but a question. For dust inside the case, Do I have to worry about gettign dust from a exhaust fan? Becuase I have a small intake on the window and the front, I know I have to fitler those, becuase those bring in dust, but does an exhuast fan bring dust?

tybrenis
10-28-2006, 10:01 PM
No, if any thing, and exhaust will EXHAUST dust. I wouldn't worry about them.

b4i7
10-29-2006, 01:18 AM
you may want to filter the front...because dust will build up on the fan or the back side of the case(if its that mesh like style)

DCM015
11-07-2006, 01:55 PM
you can use high performance car filters like fram air hogs or k&n oil free filters

i use them on my beast and i have no problem at all