PDA

View Full Version : 360 vs. PC?

.Maleficus.
09-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Which would you rather have? Both have definate advantages and disadvantages over each other, but I personally would like both lol.

And, if you have both, (which if you are reading this and you have a 360 you will lol) which do you like better? Games wise, that is.

I'm really wondering because a lot of games are on both PC and 360, and the 360 versions are $10-$30 more exepensive in some cases. For both having the same games, buying a 360 sounds like a better choice because it's app. $700 cheaper to get good graphics and gaming. That sounds like the better option until you buy 10 games and pay $100 more than their PC counterparts.

Maleficus

Slug Toy
09-22-2006, 06:33 PM
i like computers better for three reasons.

1. you can upgrade them. the 360 is stuck the way it was made.

2. you can do more things with a computer than a 360.

3. a better control set for games. i dont like the 360 controllers, although i use them a lot when i do halo 2 marathons with my friend. i much prefer a good old mouse and keyboard. i can move and click faster that way.

i think one of the few things consoles have as an advantage is the fact that they are a single platform that doesnt change, making it easy to make games and other stuff. other than that... i cant think of anything.

they wont last in pure speed and power. the 360 has three cores. we'll have quad core computers by the new year, or earlier. the 360 has the xenos graphics core. computers will have something very similar by christmas. the 360 is hi-def... big deal, 2560x1600 is way more than 1080i or 1080p. even 1600x1200 is more, and monitors have better dpi too. you can fit 1600x1200 in a 19" monitor, or maybe a 17" if its high quality. we're STILL at 1920x1080 for 60+" tv's.

all in all... computers are better in my mind. granted, there are some awesome 360 exlusives, but ive managed without the so far.

Razors Edge
09-22-2006, 06:59 PM
I'm not going to vote becase its too hard.

At the moment I have not seen a machine come near close to touching the 360 in gaming.

PC's are also my best friend. No Vote.

Chel
09-22-2006, 09:01 PM
I'm not going to vote becase its too hard.

At the moment I have not seen a machine come near close to touching the 360 in gaming.

PC's are also my best friend. No Vote.

Specs wise yes, but graphics Ive seen games that look 10x (ha speaking of 10x when dx10 comes out alot of games will potentially look better) better on pc than the 360 atm.

I vote pc. You can do so much more on a pc and you can constantly upgrade it in whatever areas you see fit. I would buy a 360 if I had the money but I dont want waste my money which is another point...pcs imo are an investment because you can actually make a living of working on a pc. Sure you can be a professional gamer on the 360 but how realistic is that for the average person?

monoflap
09-23-2006, 12:02 AM
I think the price point between the 360 and the pc are irrelavent because you still have to own a T.V. to play a console. It doesn't matter how damn good the graphics are if your T.V. sucks. So in a sense, computers are cheaper than the 360 factoring in the price of the T.V. And oh yeah, computers all the way!

.Maleficus.
09-23-2006, 12:08 AM
I think the price point between the 360 and the pc are irrelavent because you still have to own a T.V. to play a console. It doesn't matter how damn good the graphics are if your T.V. sucks. So in a sense, computers are cheaper than the 360 factoring in the price of the T.V. And oh yeah, computers all the way!
That being said, you have to own moniter to use a computer. When you build your own computer, it doesn't come with a moniter, you have to buy that too (same with OEM machines, they just factor that in with the price).

AND, to enjoy PC games as much as possible, you need a nice moniter, so there is a lot of money too.

You don't need a $5000 T.V. to enjoy a 360. I would enjoy it fine on my regular old T.V. if I had a 360.

Maleficus

DaveW
09-23-2006, 07:24 AM
To hell with the lot of you, i've pre-ordered a wii.

Call me a traitor if you want...there's nothing you can do to stop me!

-Dave

.Maleficus.
09-23-2006, 10:11 AM
To hell with the lot of you, i've pre-ordered a wii.

Call me a traitor if you want...there's nothing you can do to stop me!

-Dave
Are you kidding me? I've only been waiting for the Wii since it's been anounced.

I applaud you.

Razors Edge
09-23-2006, 11:18 AM
meh I think Nintendo killed its future when they named it "WII", think about it.

When you're girl friend comes over and says "whats that?", what are you ganna tell her? "oh thats my wii"....

Kids dads arn't ganna go into a store and say "hey, can I have a wii?"

DaveW
09-23-2006, 02:38 PM

ROFL...well they might.

-Dave

Rankenphile
09-24-2006, 01:26 PM
meh I think Nintendo killed its future when they named it "WII", think about it.

When you're girl friend comes over and says "whats that?", what are you ganna tell her? "oh thats my wii"....

When faced with a decision between buying their children a console that costs $500, $600 or $250, I can promise you you will hear many, many parents using the word "Wii".

Razors Edge
09-24-2006, 05:59 PM
An xbox360 is dropping price To (I HEAR) $200. Thats what I herd so far over the net, But other then that, There isn't much price difference between the xbox 360 and the WII.

As for now,

360 = $300
WII = $250

dgrmkrp
09-24-2006, 06:13 PM
i'm gonna go with a pc.. i had a console in the old days of mario.. i used to play it and somthing with tanks in a maze.. boy, was that great.. did't have a computer tho :p now, i don't need games.. just my music, my big warm crt and bags of ideas to study.. sure, a game is nice once in a while, but i can't picture all my buddies in the dorm playing CS.. on consoles.. we don't have TVs.. not that we're not allowed to, but a PC is so much more useful... i would shell the money for a graphics card instead of buying a console.. sure, i'd like one, but i wouldn't use as much.. i would get tired of it..
also, i gotta respect nintendo.. "wii" is a stroke of genius.. in naming, i mean :) apparently, japanese people are crazy about it :) and it looks promisingly refreshing.. still, being a console, u could get bored eventually.. (pro gamers.. don't hit me :))

Razors Edge
09-24-2006, 10:24 PM
I don't think parents will appreciate there kids screaming "wii, wii,wii!!!" all day. Not to mention, I betcha the'll name there Controllers to "NUR" next... (who gets that joke?)

DaveW
09-24-2006, 10:38 PM
(who gets that joke?)

*groan*

Seriously though, the very fact that this topic started as 360vs.PC and now we're all talking about the Nintendo simply proves that they know what they're doing. Maybe it's true, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

-Dave

simon275
09-25-2006, 12:04 AM
PC you can customize every aspect of it, doesnt chew up a tv screen which other members of the family may want to use. Can surf the net. Install own programs. You can't really compare and xbox 306 and a PC. They are two different things. Ones a console ones a PC.

Cevinzol
09-25-2006, 03:16 AM
Pong!

.Maleficus.
09-25-2006, 08:29 PM
PC you can customize every aspect of it, doesnt chew up a tv screen which other members of the family may want to use. Can surf the net. Install own programs. You can't really compare and xbox 306 and a PC. They are two different things. Ones a console ones a PC.
Umm, I put this in the "Video Gaming" forum because I'm asking what you would rather have for gaming... so...

I'm not comparing every aspect of them, just the gaming part.

DaveW
09-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Probably the PC then. Cos when you've completed it, there's the mod scene. I know a lot of mods now work on the XboX too, in things like Oblivion, fer example-but they were made on a PC.

-Dave

simon275
09-26-2006, 09:53 PM
Ok .Maleficus. fair enough.

For gaming PC hands down mouse and keyboard are better plus you can mod games on the PC change in game functions and stuff soemthing I allways do when I finish a game.

Indybird
09-26-2006, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I've played 360 a couple times and love it but theres nothing like playin a game at 80fps and 1920x1200 with a mouse and keyboard. :)

But heres the question: if USB mice and keyboards worked on 360 then what would you want? :p

By the way the Wii's cool and I like the name but Revolution just sounded soooooo much better. :rolleyes:

Rankenphile
09-27-2006, 12:22 AM
By the way the Wii's cool and I like the name but Revolution just sounded soooooo much better. :rolleyes:

As much as I agree with you, you have to realize that pronouncing the name "Revolution" in Japan is practically impossible, and even thinking about selling something called Revolution in China is a serious no-no.

simon275
09-27-2006, 01:25 AM
But heres the question: if USB mice and keyboards worked on 360 then what would you want? :p

PC still otherwise I would have to use an xbox 360 at a desk and sit way to close to a tv screen.

Would kinda defeat the purpose of it being a console.

As much as I agree with you, you have to realize that pronouncing the name "Revolution" in Japan is practically impossible, and even thinking about selling something called Revolution in China is a serious no-no.

I never thought about it that way.

Heh that would be funny in China (translated)

Two guys in a street in china

Guy 1: "So you bought the new revolution"

Guy 2 "tratior!"

*beatings with big sticks follow.

AKA_RA
09-27-2006, 05:25 AM
this poll does seem a bit one sided

chedabob
09-27-2006, 12:31 PM
OMG im a minority. problem with gaming pcs, is every time a ground breaking game comes out, you need to fork out loads to buy new hardware. with the xbox, i never upgraded it, and up until about a year ago, it had graphics that rivalled most pcs.

besides, who wants to have a mouse and keyboard on their lap when sat in front of a 32inch lcd? and have a cable dangling accross the carpet for the headset (cos lets face it, wireless headsets suck).

oh, and 360 is great for content. i dont have to go onto five or six different sites to find the new maps or whatever, its in one place. the updates are semi-auto, so as soon as you boot the game, you can upgrade to it. i also dont have to use a credit card to pay for premium content. i can just walk to the game store, hand the guy £17 and get 2000 points.

and i can keep track of what games i have, what games friends have, what they are doing right now, how many points they have, etc. i dont have to have a seperate app like xfire. and i can talk to them accross multiple games. leave them a voice message across games, send a video accross games.

360 is all round better for me. so what if i have to pay £40 a year for the best god damn online service ever. i dont care. i dont have to fork out £300 everytime a new game comes out cos i want to run it at 1280x1024 or whatever.

Rankenphile
09-27-2006, 04:25 PM
I'm thoroughly impressed with what MS brought to the table this time around with the 360, and want one very badly. I'll probably end up getting one after Christmas.

But it will never replace my PC. You're talking apples and oranges here. Or apples and hammers. Or something. They are two completely separate beings with two completely separate uses.

But I'm still really, really excited about the Wii, no matter what you call it.

Razors Edge
09-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Look,don't get me wrong but, Nintendo is great. I respect Nintendos reign of Marios, and Luigies and...whatever else they own. Now the Gamecube, I had one when I was 11, and when it first came out, but then I felt like it was too..."Kiddish". I mean sure Super Smash is great and all, but the rest of the games are designed for the smaller kids.

I fear that the WII will be the same thing as the gamecube with a few fancy motion sensing gimmicks. I always liked Xbox becuase I feel like it puts out a strong..Mature Gaming feel. I mean no system can deliver First Person Shooters and graphics like the first Xbox did. I tend to think of things like this.

Gamecube = children, lower aged gamers
PS2 = All audiencies
Xbox = more to the older and hardcore gamers

=====================
With that said, I am agreeing with Rankenphile. An Xbox 360 is a gaming console, A Computer is a Computer. There is NO way to compare these two. But if you had to pick one over the other, of witch one you would rather have, thats differen't.

*EDIT - I have no idea why I made this post....?

Rankenphile
09-27-2006, 09:43 PM
Tell my 25 year old fiancee that the gamecube is too "kiddy".

I'll be over here, watching her beat you with her Wavebird wireless controller and laughing.

MitaPi
09-28-2006, 07:59 AM
Heres my half cent.

Not everyone wants a "hardcore" gaming rig like the 360. There are alot of "hardcore" gamers out there which is why the XBox sells like mad. But there are also alot of people who like the kind of games that nintendo puts out. Such as Rank's fiancee, who I believe is the main buyer of nintendo games? ;)

Well that includes me too, I do like nintendo alot. Ripping people to pieces gets old after awhile for me. Thats when I bust out my N64 for some Mario Kart pwnage. :D

Ronyx
09-28-2006, 08:22 AM
PC.... because i already have a 360 =P

YoungBlood
09-28-2006, 02:22 PM
360's r crap... Nothing special to them... PC's have much better graphics...(especially with the new PhysX :|) and also The mouse and keyboard rocks!

Chel
09-28-2006, 03:11 PM
Yeah too bad Physics cards dont even work properly yet. :s

Razors Edge
09-28-2006, 06:19 PM
The only reason I am crackin on Nintendo is becuase a new Mario game comes out every week, There ganna run out of ideas soon...Where ganna end up playing Mario Carwash or somthing....

Anyways....

Congratz on the fiancee.

simon275
09-28-2006, 08:32 PM
The only reason I am crackin on Nintendo is becuase a new Mario game comes out every week, There ganna run out of ideas soon...Where ganna end up playing Mario Carwash or somthing....

Heh mario carwash or mario does the shopping. There's a funny flash animation about that called the Delcine of Video gaming or something. It's on newgrounds anyway

Chel
09-28-2006, 09:00 PM
There really arent many new mario games..Theres Super Strikers, Tennis, Golf, Super Smash Brosh, DDR and Mario Party. Then theres also Mario Sunshine but thats the only real mario adventure game for the cube. They should just make them all mini games in mario party imo. They'll probably do one for every sport (and then an olypmics one lol).

Ronyx
09-28-2006, 10:53 PM
and then Mario: The Real Story.... come with us as we investigate into the cesspool that is Mario. Go behind the scenes, revisit old girlfriends. Watch as the story unfolds and comes crashing down on the superstar before your eyes. Coming out this summer at a store near you.

HackSore
09-29-2006, 05:23 PM
I do like nintendo alot. Ripping people to pieces gets old after awhile for me. Thats when I bust out my N64 for some Mario Kart pwnage. :D

YES! i came across my N64 a few weeks back and set it up, i now pwn anyone who comes to my house at mario kart! its gotta be one of the best games ever made!

As for the debate, i dont see consoles as any kind of compitition for the PC, i wont go into my arguements, as they have already been made in the thread.
And also any game requiring aiming i just cannot play without a keyboard and mouse!