PDA

View Full Version : Modder's Challenge Ideas

DaveW
09-23-2006, 07:39 AM
Hi there folks, haven't announced the winner yet, but will hopefully do it tonight or tommorow.

Want to hear some ideas for new Modder's Challenge competitions, if you can come up with a challenge for the modders to overcome, then if i like it, i'll probably use it.

Bear in mind, the modder's challenge is a theoretical competition. You're not expected to actually come up with a working solution.

Also curious as to what you'd like to see as prizes for this competition in future: I was thinking things like LCD screens, Dremels, etc? Or would hardware be more down your street?

Feedback on the compy is also appreciated. Just a final warning: I'm not promising anything here.

-Dave

Short Modder
09-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Howzabout "lights galore"? LEDs and CC's? Or how about the best paint jobs?

CanaBalistic
09-23-2006, 06:26 PM
You cant really do paint jobs. It's a theoretical compitition. How about somthing like a custom bezel. Or possibly the best air cooled system. Or the smallest system or the largest...

Mountain Dew
09-23-2006, 07:29 PM
most hidden computer maybe

like a computer built into something else

EPYK
09-23-2006, 08:50 PM
most futuristic, most practical, most ridiculous, most vintage or primative, most liquid cooled, most advanced gamer, best server, best htpc, company themed (dangerden, thirmaltake, zalman, ect.. with there permission of course), most portable, smallest most cooled, starter case series (mod would build off a proprietary case like defyant's HP), best use of a.... (pick and item and turn it into a mod)

Slug Toy
09-23-2006, 09:31 PM
well, for prizes, i think hardware is more down everyone's street. the only problem i see with that is maybe a prize wont be compatible with hardware someone already has... for instance if i won a pci-e video card, its useless because im still running off an agp card. maybe sound cards, hard drives, optical drives, fans, cases, heatsinks, or even packages for a big event. packages meaning cpu+motherboard, or motherboard and ram/video card.

as for challenges themselves... god, the sky's the limit. maybe a weight restriction, or a size restriction, or a budget. maybe something that you dont even have to create keeping in mind that it has to be possible... like a really good watercooling setup that is very elaborate, but probably not possible, and is judged on creativity or soundness of theory. there are a lot of things that could happen, and probably will eventually.

DaveW
09-24-2006, 05:09 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

maybe something that you dont even have to create keeping in mind that it has to be possible...

Remember we don't expect anyone to come up with a working solution. We have a nice prize lined up for the next competition, one that should appeal to everyone, so we're trying to come up with a suitable challenge at the mo. We've been kicking around some ideas but we want to see what you come up with.

Thanks, keep the ideas rolling.

-Dave

MitaPi
09-24-2006, 07:29 AM
Is the next prize a conroe?!?! :p

...ha, I wish ;)

How bout... most likely to survive an explosion or impact or something on the lines of that? I was thinking about those black box's they use in airplanes and for some reason it just hit me as a cool idea for a modders challenge.

EDIT:
Ha, or just the opposite? The most fragile... which could also mean the most theft proof. Think of those safes with glass in them, when they crack the safe snaps shut and you can not access it anymore.

Some elaborate theft proof system would be a cool modders challenge. It would be a TRUE challenge that would require lots of thought I think.

DaveW
09-24-2006, 01:57 PM
How bout... most likely to survive an explosion or impact or something on the lines of that? I was thinking about those black box's they use in airplanes and for some reason it just hit me as a cool idea for a modders challenge.

EDIT:
Ha, or just the opposite? The most fragile... which could also mean the most theft proof. Think of those safes with glass in them, when they crack the safe snaps shut and you can not access it anymore.

Some elaborate theft proof system would be a cool modders challenge. It would be a TRUE challenge that would require lots of thought I think.

I like this idea very much! How to make the case invincible...the ultimate hardware protection? Great idea.

-Dave

simon275
09-24-2006, 11:58 PM
I like this idea very much! How to make the case invincible...the ultimate hardware protection? Great idea.

-Dave

Sweet I was really into this concept like 2 years ago and I came up with loads of case ideas. I got this one in the bag.

Slug Toy
09-25-2006, 03:01 AM
we'll just see about that. an invincible pc is definitely something that would interest me 100%... and once i get going, things become envloped by dark body radiation.

MitaPi
09-25-2006, 04:54 AM
ha, I am a genious :D

d_stilgar
09-25-2006, 10:30 AM
I have an idea not so much along the lines of PCs, but it is modding, and could actually be done for pretty cheap.

Pumpkin Carving Contest. I'm not sure how this will play out outside the U.S. though.

MitaPi
09-25-2006, 10:36 AM
HA! That is a good idea! It can be a "Halloween" edition modders challenge! The best part is.. it is something that is easy to do and VERY cheap!

Airbozo
09-25-2006, 11:09 AM
Sweet I was really into this concept like 2 years ago and I came up with loads of case ideas. I got this one in the bag.

I used to "ruggedize" high end workstations for the military (think O2 or Octane that can be dropped from a plane), so does my "professional" status exclude me?

Rankenphile
09-25-2006, 01:58 PM
Very, very intriguing ideas, guys. Thanks for the feedback.

One thing I'd like to ask/mention: the prize for the upcoming contest is really awesome, but it is pretty large, which means that it cannot be shipped outside of the continental US - all of the shipping for this stuff comes right out of my pocket, and as I only volunteer my time here, shipping something of this nature overseas gets crazy expensive very quickly. Do you see this as a major detractor? Would any of you be willing to pay for the shipping if the prize itself was free?

I'm not asking to force this on you, I'm just genuinely curious. In another thread we've got a discussion about the finances of the site going, which explains some of the plans we have going for the future, incuding ways of generating a bit of cash which can help ship things across the world, but for the time being, would any of you guys across the pond be willing to pay for shipping if it was something that you were interested in?

Slug Toy
09-25-2006, 02:02 PM
how about right next to the border? as you see, im in vancouver, so its really not that far, or does crossing the border add a large amount of money into the equation?

Rankenphile
09-25-2006, 02:04 PM
how about right next to the border? as you see, im in vancouver, so its really not that far, or does crossing the border add a large amount of money into the equation?

A very, very surprising amount. I hate that we can't do anything for our Canadian and Mexican friends at this point, but just shipping something, be it five miles or five hundred miles, across any international border, creates a huge shipping expense.

Since you are so close, Sluggo, I could drive it up and meet you half-way or something, but that is certainly the exception to the rule.

Slug Toy
09-25-2006, 02:08 PM
dont kill yourself for me... im just a person. if i were god, that would be something different. i dont really know if i want something really large anyways. im looking for hardware so i can update my old-ass rig. theres a good chance i wont win either.

by the way, with this prize being so large... its got the ideas forming. does it having anything to do with enclosing electronic devices in a metal box while providing a significant quantity of moving air?

Rankenphile
09-25-2006, 02:12 PM
dont kill yourself for me... im just a person. if i were god, that would be something different. i dont really know if i want something really large anyways. im looking for hardware so i can update my old-ass rig. theres a good chance i wont win either.

by the way, with this prize being so large... its got the ideas forming. does it having anything to do with enclosing electronic devices in a metal box while providing a significant quantity of moving air?

I'm not sure what you are alluding to, but whatever the case may be, it is certainly worthy of an entry and the shipping costs involved.

And meeting you halfway is hardly "killing myself for you". You live about two hours north of me. Hell, if you wanted to meet me halfway to get the prize I'd buy you dinner, too.

Slug Toy
09-25-2006, 02:18 PM
dinner you say.... dammit, food is my weakness. lets worry about all that if i win then...

Airbozo
09-25-2006, 03:25 PM
I'm not sure what you are alluding to, but whatever the case may be, it is certainly worthy of an entry and the shipping costs involved.

And meeting you halfway is hardly "killing myself for you". You live about two hours north of me. Hell, if you wanted to meet me halfway to get the prize I'd buy you dinner, too.

Hell for dinner I would drive up from norcal to meet you... hehe

Now I must enter the new contest...

DaveW
09-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Won't be long guys, once we've tied up some loose ends we'll get the next contest in the bag!

-Dave

d_stilgar
09-25-2006, 07:57 PM
I would pay for shipping myself, even though I am in the continental U.S. It isn't a big deal and it is free otherwise.

Acey
09-26-2006, 07:21 AM
We need to forbid Crim from joining. Else he's in for a win-it-all challenge hahaha

MitaPi
09-26-2006, 10:14 AM
lol nah, crimson wouldnt join in anyways. Whatever the prize is, I am sure he could build it and then from there make it even better. But this has def. peaked my interest now, I just might participate in this next challenge!

Acey
09-26-2006, 01:07 PM
Leatherman... try building Texas Chainsaw Massacre's Leatherface mod... maybe, maybe, a leather chainsaw... Heh.

Rankenphile
09-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Leatherman was only a one-time sponsor and will not be sponsoring the next one.

We've been working on having different companies sponsor each contest by donating a prize in exchange for promotion, and so far we've had a pretty good response.

DaveW
09-26-2006, 08:48 PM
Leatherman was only a one-time sponsor and will not be sponsoring the next one.

We've been working on having different companies sponsor each contest by donating a prize in exchange for promotion, and so far we've had a pretty good response.

It's because we're so damn handsome. ;)

-Dave

simon275
09-26-2006, 09:56 PM
One thing I'd like to ask/mention: the prize for the upcoming contest is really awesome, but it is pretty large, which means that it cannot be shipped outside of the continental US - all of the shipping for this stuff comes right out of my pocket, and as I only volunteer my time here, shipping something of this nature overseas gets crazy expensive very quickly. Do you see this as a major detractor? Would any of you be willing to pay for the shipping if the prize itself was free?

Arghh noooooooooooo....

If shipping wans't to much I would pay for it. Or I would go half maybe. How much does this item way what are demensions. Dont tell us what it is I just want to know weight and dimensions so I can get an idea about shipping.

Rankenphile
09-27-2006, 12:20 AM
Arghh noooooooooooo....

If shipping wans't to much I would pay for it. Or I would go half maybe. How much does this item way what are demensions. Dont tell us what it is I just want to know weight and dimensions so I can get an idea about shipping.

I know, I know. It is a pain. I don't have the specific dimensions at the moment, but when the contest goes up I'll be sure to post them.

MitaPi
09-27-2006, 11:27 AM
So are you guys allowed to tell us around what time we should expect the next contest to start? AH! I cant wait much longer! :D

DaveW
09-27-2006, 01:21 PM
We're working on it. Don't worry!

;)

-Dave

Zephik
10-22-2006, 10:49 AM
How is this coming along? Kind of drifted into the darkness so I hope you dont mind that I brought it back up. lol I didnt miss it did I?

-SF

DaveW
10-22-2006, 07:02 PM
No, you haven't missed it. We've just all been REALLY busy. We're trying to sort something out for UK entrants as well.

There is only 3 of us here after all. ;)

(Note to world: that is NOT a hint that we want help. We're doing just fine as we are at the minute thanks.)

-Dave

Slug Toy
10-22-2006, 07:16 PM
well youd get help if you asked... im sure someone is feeling generous right now.

DaveW
10-22-2006, 07:35 PM
I know we'd get help if we asked for it. But, after a few months, I think we've really got to grips with our roles here at TBCS, and any outside help coming in at this point would lead to confusion, delays, etc. etc. etc.

I know if we needed it, half the boards would volunteer. But too many cooks spoil the broth, as we say in Scotland. I'm sure you guys have heard that one before :)

-Dave

simon275
10-23-2006, 01:15 AM
Yeah fair enough dave we will let you guys sought yourself out. Looks like I will be running an Australian compeition on my own. And since there is no postage and I am the only entrat I automatically win.

If the prizes arent to big in size and I enter in a compeition can I pay the difference in postage it would cost to ship it out down under. I will porbably send it by ship mail as it is cheapest so I get it in like 3 months :eek: If i win of course.

Zephik
10-23-2006, 07:23 AM
lol I had a funny dream today of all the "mod gods" getting together and modding some gigantic super computer. Actually I think it was some gigantic server or something. But anyways, it was hilarious.

Airbozo
10-23-2006, 11:22 AM
lol I had a funny dream today of all the "mod gods" getting together and modding some gigantic super computer. Actually I think it was some gigantic server or something. But anyways, it was hilarious.

I'll provide the super computer and the workspace...

Hell I bet you could get sgi or cray, maybe even sun involved and they would host the competition, just for the chance to use the design ideas...

Rankenphile
10-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Yeah fair enough dave we will let you guys sought yourself out. Looks like I will be running an Australian compeition on my own. And since there is no postage and I am the only entrat I automatically win.

If the prizes arent to big in size and I enter in a compeition can I pay the difference in postage it would cost to ship it out down under. I will porbably send it by ship mail as it is cheapest so I get it in like 3 months :eek: If i win of course.

We're going to include rules for entrants outside of the US. If they enter, they are going to have to be willing to pay for at least some of the shipping, if not most of it, depending on where they are.

I had enough of a headache trying to send the last one out (the Leatherman Wave). I'm still worried that it will show up in my mailbox one of these days. Some of you guys have really strange address formatting. :p

simon275
10-24-2006, 11:00 PM
Cool thanks for that Ranken. Don't worry Australia's address system is almost exactly the same as America's except we have shorter postal codes.

koolkidd2004
11-26-2006, 08:04 PM
hey guys im new to this forum and am from australia but can someone give me the lowdown on this challenge? and can anyone enter?

cheers

AJ@PR
11-27-2006, 04:19 PM
How about a "train" computer?

Get a model train... have a small UPS on it... so there's power. (hmm... or maybe some sliding-110vAC-contacts through the tracks).

In one train, have mobo (guess, a small one will have to do)...
Another one, have the PSU
Another one with the water cooling.
Another with the HDD.
etc.

I dunno. Or lets scratch that.

HOW ABOUT if we build this HUGE computer building, resembling the original ENIAC.

Then we run... modern day stuff off it.

Argh... I have to go.... I'll give this some more thought!!! :)

Zephik
11-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Idea's.... hmmm....

Best His and Hers computer designs

Best blend of technology and nature

Best ?classic? movie theme (godzilla, king kong, etc)

Most indestructible, indistinguishable, indisputable.... lol or maybe just the first one.

Most convenient Lan Rig. (ie soda machine, blah blah blah, etc.)

The perfect blend of Yin and Yang. (Google it)

or maybe a giant teletubby with laser vision and rocket launchers with a programmed lust for human blood!!!

Ding ding! We have a winner! :up:

:neutral:

-SnowFire

ESX
11-27-2006, 05:29 PM
or maybe a giant teletubby with laser vision and rocket launchers with a programmed lust for human blood!!!
That Idea owns. /me gets to modding :D

DaveW
11-27-2006, 08:11 PM
hey guys im new to this forum and am from australia but can someone give me the lowdown on this challenge? and can anyone enter?

cheers

Anyone can enter the competition. To see how it works, have a look at our past competitions! We'll be starting up another one soon, because the prize is cluttering up Rankenphile's house, last i heard it was driving his wife ape-****.

-Dave

Ouch!
11-28-2006, 06:25 AM
How about this......

I'm sure all your regulars have an old CD drive laying around in their spares box. How about the best CD Drive mod. It could still be used as a CD drive or it could be used as something entirely different. But I would stipulate that you still have to be able to slide it into a 3.5 inch bay......What do you think?

DaveW
11-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Keep these ideas coming. The final ideas really depend on the prize, we like to tie them in, as it makes it easier for our sponsors.

-Dave

Airbozo
11-28-2006, 04:43 PM
How about this......

I'm sure all your regulars have an old CD drive laying around in their spares box. How about the best CD Drive mod. It could still be used as a CD drive or it could be used as something entirely different. But I would stipulate that you still have to be able to slide it into a 3.5 inch bay......What do you think?

I Like this idea. Only it might not fit in the standard 3.5" bay...

I have several I could donate or mod myself.

AJ@PR
11-28-2006, 05:14 PM
Ermm... guys....
Isn't a CD about 4.5 inches in diameter...???

Maybe I'm missing something (again)... but....
CD = 4.5inches
3.5" bay = 3.5inches
AJ@PR = :? :? :?

AJ@PR
11-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Ok, doing something constructive:::

I've had this disc (cd/dvd) drive idea for a looong time.
I wanted to get a patent on it, but, money does not permit that.

I know that here, maybe this idea will see the light of day.
If I keep it to my self, it ain't going nowhere.

So, anyways, here it is.
My original thoughts were to have a very small disc drive.. pocket size.
You can see in the picture how it would look.

Of course, if you touch the disc while in operation, you'll screw it up.

But hey... we're modders... if we can't do it... NO ONE CAN! :D

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o196/45NN2121/CDidea.jpg

(( PS to all company bofoons reading this::: Because I just posted this, I just made it part of the public domain of knowledge. So no, you can NOT get a patent on this. ))

Guys, sorry for the uber-crappy image.
It was a quickie between work stuff... ETA 3 minutes.
No fancy 3d stuff here.

Zephik
11-28-2006, 06:37 PM
You know... it would be easier to think of ideas suited for that prize if we ACTUALLY knew what that prize was! ;)

...but that would ruin all the fun now wouldn't? :rolleyes:

...but on another hand, I live about 6 hours away from rankenphile and I just happen to have a special ops Halloween costume... :devious:

Best representation of society today.

Most moving parts (remote activated doors, etc?)

Least moving parts lol

Building supplies limited to pop sickle sticks and crazy glue.

Most environmentally friendly. (recycles air like plants do? lol)

Biggest headache at first glance.

Best disguised computer (make it so no one could guess what it is.)

A Santa Clause with laser vision and rocket launchers for arms with atomic powered reindeer and hellfire missiles attached to his sled of doom.

:neutral:

DaveW
11-28-2006, 08:03 PM
I think i mentioned somewhere that the prize is one of Apevia's Top of the Range cases, so it's not that much of a secret. But I'm not going to tell you which one.

Rankenphile has assured me that it is sweeeeet.

-Dave

Zephik
11-29-2006, 12:22 AM
Ok, doing something constructive:::

I've had this disc (cd/dvd) drive idea for a looong time.
I wanted to get a patent on it, but, money does not permit that.

I know that here, maybe this idea will see the light of day.
If I keep it to my self, it ain't going nowhere.

So, anyways, here it is.
My original thoughts were to have a very small disc drive.. pocket size.
You can see in the picture how it would look.

Of course, if you touch the disc while in operation, you'll screw it up.

But hey... we're modders... if we can't do it... NO ONE CAN! :D

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o196/45NN2121/CDidea.jpg

(( PS to all company bofoons reading this::: Because I just posted this, I just made it part of the public domain of knowledge. So no, you can NOT get a patent on this. ))

Guys, sorry for the uber-crappy image.
It was a quickie between work stuff... ETA 3 minutes.
No fancy 3d stuff here.

I got really bored... lol

Pocket CD Drive (Quick Sketch)
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h237/MitaPi/PocketCD.jpg

As you can see, I added some safety features and some other things that would make it more portable. If you can fit a CD in your pocket you could fit this too! Although, it isn't as small as your design. ^^

EDIT: I now realize that some of my features don't make any sense lol Such as the recharge pack. You have to hook it up to your PC anyways... whoops lol oh well.

-SnowFire

ESX
11-29-2006, 12:30 AM
Looks like a table tenis racket :)
Good idea though.

silverdemon
11-29-2006, 07:27 AM
it looks like a discman, you know, those things you used to play portable music on before MP3 was invented...
Anyways I'd rather take my whole compy with me, so I'll get a laptop instead of this new gadget...