PDA

View Full Version : Can you change dell cases?

peggx312
04-30-2005, 03:38 PM
I recently cracked my case, everything works fine but it just annoys me broken like that. Anyways, is it possible to change out my case with a different one? I know I have to have one that is compatible with my motherboard, however it seems hard to figure that out. I have a pentium 4, so I believe that it is probably a socket 478, but I do not know what size, ATX? Micro ATX?. If anyone has done this or knows anything any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Nick

Frakk
04-30-2005, 04:27 PM
it should be able to fit into a mid tower atx case with no problems, however some pictures would help us to help u.

peggx312
04-30-2005, 04:36 PM
I found a picture of my case- I looks like the Dimension 3000 as seen on the right side of this site : http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/desktops?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

again, so you think that a mid tower-ATX would accomodate my current dell setup? :?

Frakk
04-30-2005, 04:40 PM
yes im pretty sure it will fit.

Guttenaffe
05-01-2005, 04:55 AM
Using a size compare with the monitor on the del webpage it'd be a good bet that your mobo is a µATX.

Quick way to tell is open the case and count the expansion slots. If you have 5 it is a µATX, if you have 7 is it is a normal ATX.

You can also tell by looking at the mobo, mostly from where the proc and ATX connector is located what revision of ATX or µATX your motherboard is designed to.
Though that doesn’t really matter too much.

I'd say go with a mid tower case you like. Most will hold ATX and µATX motherboards.

Link to Newegg (http://www2.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=&PropertyCodeValue=548%3A8287&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&SubCategory=7&Submit=Property)

Most any of those cases will hold you current setup if they have enough bays for all HDD's and Optical drives you might have.

peggx312
05-01-2005, 11:06 AM
Great, thanks for all of the help-
:)

The Grendel
05-01-2005, 04:39 PM
The P4 Dell's have standard ATX components
You Shouldn't have any problems

-Grendel

Guttenaffe
05-01-2005, 10:48 PM
Why not fix the crack with some expoy, and then file a notch and fill it with body filler, sand smooth and repaint?

The Big Shabouzy
05-08-2005, 02:00 AM
because thats the easy way to do things.

ThomasLDS2005
05-09-2005, 05:40 AM
Might seem to easy but can you not get a replacement case from Dell themselves?

ZeD
06-02-2005, 11:29 PM
arent dell motherboards proprietary? I just picked up a Dell XPS Case and I know Im going to have to change the pin layout on teh power suppoly to use teh dell PSU on an ATX case, Im also pretty sure Im going to have to mod the chassis to accept a standard ATX motehrboard, any other insight?

public_eyesore
06-03-2005, 04:41 PM
i dont know if it help but most hp's use micro atx whether or not dell does the same, i do not know.

The Grendel
06-03-2005, 06:57 PM
I've said it before and i'll say it again,

NO!!! (not yelling, just getting the point across)

Dell mobo's haven't been proprietary since the P3
Any P4 dell is completely compatible with any other hardware from any other manufacturer.

-Grendel

MrSlacker
06-03-2005, 07:32 PM
are you sure about that?

ZeD
06-04-2005, 07:50 AM
I've said it before and i'll say it again,

NO!!! (not yelling, just getting the point across)

Dell mobo's haven't been proprietary since the P3
Any P4 dell is completely compatible with any other hardware from any other manufacturer.

-Grendel

Don't yell at me! Im sensitive :( ok I'll trust ya, I just hope yoru right on the pin layouts too, if I fry a board Im blaming you.

MrSlacker
06-04-2005, 12:55 PM
i am afraid to try my Antec NeoPower on my old Dell 8100. ZeD, do u have any spare PSUs?

ZeD
06-04-2005, 02:06 PM
No but if you get the manual out you can check the pin layouts of the board, unfortunatly I have uyet to find a manual of the new PSU

MrSlacker
06-04-2005, 03:22 PM
i have 24-20 pin adaptor that came w/ my NeoPower, gonna see if i can fit 20pin in my dell.

ZeD
06-04-2005, 03:55 PM
It will physically fit fine, its just the the pinouts might be different

MrSlacker
06-04-2005, 04:27 PM
i found pin layout for my dell online, can you help me identify it http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dsleest/techovu.htm#dc_power_connector_pin_assignments thanks.

ZeD
06-04-2005, 04:48 PM
yep thats a dell specific pin layout
http://pinouts.ru/pin_Power.shtml

MrSlacker
06-04-2005, 04:49 PM
i just opened up my dell 8100 and and confirm it is NOT standard ATX. here are the reasons:
1) it has 2 power cables, one for CPU and other is system power here is a pic http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/MrSlacker/IMG_0360.jpg
2) it has some wierd card below CPU that i have never seen before http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/MrSlacker/IMG_0350.jpg
3) it is about 15 inches high wich is much taller then normal ATX
4) it uses some weird fan connectors

ZeD
06-04-2005, 05:24 PM
yep 8100 aint standard, 82 and 8400 are though

MisterChief
06-04-2005, 08:27 PM
There it is again! :eek: Dell, that blasphemous word! Bleh! :D

MrSlacker
06-04-2005, 08:56 PM
8200 and 8400 probly are standard, but The Grendel said ALL Dells w/ P4 are. my 8100 is P4 is not standard

ZeD
06-04-2005, 10:03 PM
why exactly do you want to put a new PSU in it? they make ATX to DELL adaptors, they are cheap too, PC power and cooling even offers dell specific PSU upgrades, Im in a whoel different ballpark needing to go from a Dell PSU to an ATX board. If you just dont want it, Ill take it.

Xato
06-04-2005, 10:50 PM
Or you could just mail it to Dell Tech support and hope the computer explodes when the open the package...
Who needs a mail bomb when u have a Dell!

MisterChief
06-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Or you could just mail it to Dell Tech support and hope the computer explodes when the open the package...
Who needs a mail bomb when u have a Dell!

:eek: I hope you realize that by typing the words "mail", "bomb", "package", and "explode", you just enabled the FBI, CIA, NSA, and the Echelon system to track your every movement? I'll give em' ten minutes to get their choppers on your roof... have a nice day! :D

Conspiracy Theorists Unite!

MrSlacker
06-04-2005, 11:08 PM
here is the deal. i have 8100 with P4 1.3, 384mb RD-RAM, and 9600XT. it used to be my old comp. my bro is in college and has 35000/15000 fiber optics connection. he is planning on taking it and making it FTP server. the comp is about 4 years old and i am kinda afraid that it can overheat. also i think PSU is making weird sounds so i thought about getting new PSU for it. when school ends, i am gonna test it and see what makes the noise and then go from there. from my search on newegg, there are no motherboards that support this socket and RD-RAM.

Xato
06-04-2005, 11:32 PM
Yeh, RDRAM had a very short commercial life, i heard about it being the 'new thing' and then i never heard of it again.

and MrSlacker, the FBI CIA and NSA probably have a contract with Dell and thinking the same thing. Maybe the echelon system is that traffic spike we've been having lately.

ZeD
06-05-2005, 12:10 AM
Get a cheap Dell PSU off eBay, those OEM PSUs generall dont fail often, oh and the 9600XT in a server is such a waste, you should give it to me

MrSlacker
06-05-2005, 12:16 AM
Get a cheap Dell PSU off eBay, those OEM PSUs generall dont fail often, oh and the 9600XT in a server is such a waste, you should give it to me
haha you wish. its gonna be CS server too. there is only 1 8100 PSU on ebay and its $77 shipped. F that...

ZeD
06-05-2005, 12:24 AM
aside from the connector, is the physical PSU ATX?

ZeD
06-05-2005, 12:25 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42020&item=6774085148&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

MrSlacker
06-05-2005, 12:28 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42020&item=6774085148&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
comp never powered up.... thats a no no for me. there is no garantee it works.

The Grendel
06-06-2005, 12:51 PM
My bad, I'll re-iterate: Dell P4 (Pre socket 775) are all standard ATX components

With the new tech involved with the 775 they have apparently changed the pinout.

bastards...you would think they would have learned from their mistakes with P3 systems. Oh well...

-Grendel

ZeD
06-08-2005, 12:46 AM
comp never powered up.... thats a no no for me. there is no garantee it works.
so then buy a $5 adaptor and if it doesnt work ya only lost $5

nil8
06-14-2005, 09:59 PM
I never understood the need to buy a system from a company.
I've always built my own pcs once I learned how. You choose what goes in and some of that hardware can last for years and years.

Crappy psu, thermal paste, mobo, ram, and hd are not my idea of a good computer.

I work in IT and I see hp dc5000sff's have heat, hard drive, and port failure issues. That's horrible.

I just don't understand it for personal computer needs.

Zeus
06-14-2005, 10:04 PM
because some people don't have the time or don't want to take the time to configure, order, and assemble their own computer.

MisterChief
06-14-2005, 11:00 PM
because some people don't have the time or don't want to take the time to configure, order, and assemble their own computer.

Or they are just too plain stupid and don't want to bother with learning. It's a sad world out there.

ZeD
06-14-2005, 11:26 PM
If I were rolling out 100 machines or even 10 I would go prebuilt. For the cost you cant beat it, I value my time, my time wasted building a rig is time I could be making money.

MisterChief
06-14-2005, 11:42 PM
If I were rolling out 100 machines or even 10 I would go prebuilt. For the cost you cant beat it, I value my time, my time wasted building a rig is time I could be making money.

:eek: It's not price, it's performance! I guarantee you I can build a computer for less than an equivelant name brand and kick it's sorry butt. And if you sit down for about an hour, you can set up a custom computer and have it ready to go (at least I can :))

Name brand computers are nearly impossible to upgrade or tweak to your liking because the company that sells it to you locks the BIOS or uses cheap parts. With a custom comp, you can select exactly what you want and know exactly what you have and of what quality it is.

Don't get me wrong, I think I understand what you mean. I agree with you in that if you need a large amount of computers for a buisness or professional use, you get a large amount of prebuilt computers. At least with prebuilts, you have a warranty and can be sure that the computer works. But I have never encountered a problem that I could not fix.

There's my view on the subject. :)

MrSlacker
06-15-2005, 12:04 AM
ok, so lets say you want to build a comp for a company. and you need to get 50 comps, will you get dell or build it? each comp will take you about an hour, so thats 50 hours... i think you'll go with dell. i know i would. also there are millions of people who dont know how comps work. all they know is how to use internet, MS Office, and games....

MisterChief
06-15-2005, 12:08 AM
ok, so lets say you want to build a comp for a company. and you need to get 50 comps, will you get dell or build it? each comp will take you about an hour, so thats 50 hours... i think you'll go with dell. i know i would. also there are millions of people who dont know how comps work. all they know is how to use internet, MS Office, and games....

:rolleyes: Mrs. Lacker, did you read my last paragraph?

MrSlacker
06-15-2005, 12:12 AM
:rolleyes: Mrs. Lacker, did you read my last paragraph?
and did i say i was talking to YOU? you werent the 1 who asked question....... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

PS: stop calling me that, 1st time it was funny, 2nd it was okey, now its WTF is ur problem.... :mad:

Guttenaffe
06-15-2005, 12:12 AM
...Don't get me wrong, I think I understand what you mean. I agree with you in that if you need a large amount of computers for a buisness or professional use, you get a large amount of prebuilt computers. At least with prebuilts, you have a warranty and can be sure that the computer works...

This is close to off topic but I'd like to add the following.
Don't forget that they all will be the same when you order them from some manif and so you know that x software will run on all the machines. It's not practical for a business to make each PC they have their self as it would cost them more to get the parts then pay people to put them together who could be doing other stuff to make money.

ZeD
06-15-2005, 01:48 AM
its simple economics I rarely build complete custom rigs anymore, I almost always go prebuilt if I need 10 or more. Anything less I get a barebone deal from tigerdirect or a motherboard\cpu\memory combo from either tigerdirect, newegg or motherboards.com, hell even 10 packs of hard drives or other components dont save you money, you'd be lucky to save 5% which is $50 if you buy 10 $100 hard drives

biggos
06-15-2005, 01:44 PM
ZeD, so a new Dell Dimension 8400 LGA775 P4 mobo is not ATX compatible? Where did you find this out?

biggos
06-15-2005, 01:48 PM
My bad, I'll re-iterate: Dell P4 (Pre socket 775) are all standard ATX components With the new tech involved with the 775 they have apparently changed the pinout. bastards...you would think they would have learned from their mistakes with P3 systems. Oh well... Sorry I meand Grendel in previous post.

ZeD
06-15-2005, 01:59 PM
ZeD, so a new Dell Dimension 8400 LGA775 P4 mobo is not ATX compatible? Where did you find this out?

the only thing ATX about it is that you can upgrade using standard components. The motherboard mounting points and even the mechanism is NOT standard, dont think you can just go and upgrade the motehrboard. The power supply is also Dell specific (the pinouts are not in a standard location but the physical connector IS ATX) you CAN use another PSU, you must however buy an adaptor or get a PC power and cooling Dell PSU. Also depending what case you have you might not even be able to physically fit a standard PSU in it unless you mod it to fit. I have a Dell XPS case here and Im going to have to repin the PSU connectors to work and also fabricate my own mounting mechanism. I dont even know if I want to continue with this since I have alot on my plate right now, so if anyone wants a nice new Dell XPS case lemme know.

MisterChief
06-15-2005, 05:45 PM
(Sorry for that remark. It has been removed)

Back on track now; Does Dell sell PSUs? Or are you just going to have to find a PSU on eBay or something? (I guess this is the reason Dell uses proprietary design, those bastards... :rolleyes: ) And ZeD, where are you going to find an adapter for a Dell PSU?

MrSlacker
06-15-2005, 06:38 PM
EDIT- problem solved, every1 is happy now and lets go back on topic

ZeD
06-16-2005, 01:18 AM

Back on track now; Does Dell sell PSUs? Or are you just going to have to find a PSU on eBay or something? (I guess this is the reason Dell uses proprietary design, those bastards... :rolleyes: ) And ZeD, where are you going to find an adapter for a Dell PSU?
Im either going to make one out of an ATX extension cable, or change the pinouts on the PSU itself. Last time I changed an ATX connector it was a bitch and a half using a little freaking needle. I will probably prefer to change the PSU itself since I dont ever plan on buying a dell specific motherboard.

john525
06-20-2005, 08:32 AM

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/

The Dell power supply itself is no different than other PSU except that the pins on the mobo are different and you need an adapter or wiring harness to suit. Also, Dell PSU have no master On/Off at the back and the power cord location is lower than on standard ATX PSU. To use a standard ATX PSU you have to cut new holes on the back of the Dell 8100 panel to suit, with a dremel tool or such. If you are a bit handy you may as well get a normal ATX PSU and the wiring adaptor and cut the holes in the 8100 panel. When your done with the Dell and decide to build a new box the ATX PSU will be salvageable.

John