PDA

View Full Version : NEED fast help with lph/gph choice

L0KEMAN
09-23-2006, 09:28 PM
I need to place my order before noon monday. I want to basically set up for a CPU and 4x GPUs, with the ability (if I should chhose to) to cool some RAM and/or my chipsets for the stuff in my signature. I like the Swiftech MCP655™ 12v Water Pump (317 GPH), but is this strong enough? I kind want the pump and resvior inside the case if I can have it. Is this a big enough pump? Or do i have to go for one of the huge Asetek WaterChill Xtreme Integrated Pump / Reservoir that do 1020 Lph?

ForceFedFlesh
09-24-2006, 12:31 AM
317 gph is more than enough

L0KEMAN
09-24-2006, 11:17 PM
sweet, thanks. I went ahead to order order it and newegg is now sold out. Iguess I will have to order from frozencpu.com

Is 3/8 really better than 1/2"? I read it is becuase it moves practically the same flow and has easier to manage tubes.

ForceFedFlesh
09-24-2006, 11:29 PM
well i use 3/8 cuz its easier to work with especially if ur cooling more than 2 things, but its more restrictive in flow.
1/2 has more flow allowing better cooling but its a pain to route the tubing especially if ur doing more than 2 blocks.

L0KEMAN
10-03-2006, 05:07 PM
Sweet, Then I got the right thing. I got the swiftech 3/8 kit

jreffy
10-05-2006, 05:17 PM
I hope this isn't too late, but the gph/lph rating is NOT what you want to be judging your pumps on. Most all WC systems only operate at 1-3 gph when everything is hooked up.

What you want is the pressure head rating! This is the POWER of the pump, not the speed. Think of your water flowing through these GPU blocks and CPU blocks like a car hitting a brick wall.

Sure a lambo might be the fastest, but it's royally f'd when it hits that wall. Instead you'd rather take a dump-truck. Sure, it's a bit slower, but its speed is much more consistent and won't get bogged down by too many blocks and restrictions in the system.

L0KEMAN
10-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Cool, I never thought about it that way. I Ordered the big swiftech kit and it should be in within the next hour or two. I just put one of the danger den waterblocks on my 7950gx2. That was a pain. I hate having to move slow, but you gotta on something like that. I'm gonna hook it up and see what my temps are watercooled. I figure I can skip the 48 hour leak test as I am going to use fluidxp and "worst case scenario"...lol... is I make a slight mess.

nil8
10-11-2006, 05:08 PM
I would not suggest being impatient with a watercooling system. It's one of the few ways you can blink your hardware out of existance before you even get to use it.

Fill, purge the air, then run the system for a minimum of 24 hours with no power on the computer. Test your seals, check for water leaks, make sure everything is working before you fire your pc up. Then leave it running for a few hours and check your temps. I've had a situation where a tiny kink caused major problems with heat removal and if I hadn't watched it, my gpu would have fried.

Patience will keep your efforts safer than rushing through and just trying to get it going.

YoungBlood
10-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Whats the best wc kit out atm? I was leaning towards the zalman reserator 2... Is this a good wc kit?

klingelton
10-20-2006, 05:55 PM
yeah mate, i'm looking at that too, looks the balls, really does. i was also looking at the nautilus 500 too, but can't seem to get hold of one of those for love nor money.

tis of no concequence tho as i don't have enough money until i get paid next month! (p.s. im really tempted to go to my fave shop this weekend and water cool myself!!)

also i've got a "test rig" for the water cooling. it's a system that notoriously runs very hot(between 65 and 80 degrees c) i've had the alarm turned off the last few years!! suffice to say, i don't mind if i fry it!!

klingelton
10-25-2006, 03:11 PM
hmmmmm. i popped my test rig. not with water cooling though. it blew up the other day of its own accord.

ah well, turns out that cheap thermal paste is not so good, best splash out that little bit extra for the good stuff!!