PDA

View Full Version : Free virus protection?

.Maleficus.
09-24-2006, 07:28 PM
Well, I just made a computer for gaming, and most games are only for Windows, so I'm going back to Windows :( . Now that I just spent $90 on Windows, I don't want to shell out any money on virus protection just so I can game every now and then. Sooo, anybody know of any good, free virus protection software?

Thanks!

Maleficus

EPYK
09-24-2006, 08:14 PM
where you from dude

Chel
09-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Trend Micro Housecall is nice.

progbuddy
09-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Try BitDefender 8.

.Maleficus.
09-24-2006, 08:28 PM
I'm in the US, Wisconsin specificly. I'll check out the others for now, thanks guys!

monoflap
09-24-2006, 09:01 PM
AVG antivirus is good

EPYK
09-24-2006, 09:18 PM
if you have a staples.. you could prolly get norton or something for free with rebates

Razors Edge
09-24-2006, 10:30 PM
Woah guys hold on just a damn second.

I haev worked in a computer store for the past 2 years. Almost EVERY computer that goes in there has Spy-ware or Viruses. I think my most area of expertise here is soft-ware.

I can provide you with a copy of Norton 2006, but if you want somthing free. Try AVG Antivirus. Its free, It works pretty friggin good too. Almost better then norton.

For spyware, Spybot or spyware SE was it called or whatever it was.

DaveW
09-24-2006, 10:31 PM
AVG antivirus is good

I'm surprised it took to post 6 for someone to mention this. I've never, ever went back from this brilliant free piece of software. Download it from www.grisoft.com, it's probably the best thing you'll ever get for free.

100% detection rate-and they aren't kidding. Not only that but it uses the bare minimum of memory and CPU when running in the background-although testing your computer makes any other software, appart from maybe your web broswer, run like crap. However it's the same no matter what virus software you have.

-Dave

Razors Edge
09-24-2006, 10:32 PM
I'm surprised it took to post 6 for someone to mention this?

-Dave

Hmmm.. Now why did I think the same thing Dave said?

DaveW
09-24-2006, 10:36 PM
Because it really is damn good :D

If only they made a free firewall too. I've tried Kiero and Zonealarm. Kiero is horrible, it asks you EVERY freaking time you want to do something. Installing a program is murder, because it interupts like 40 times asking you if it's ok to allow this file to be written to the disk.

Zonealarm is pretty good but a bit basic. Uses more memory than AVG Antivirus when running idle, but seems to do the job fairly well.

-Dave

.Maleficus.
09-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Well, I was looking around on that site, and couldn't find a free version of AVG Antivirus.

Could someone point me in the direction of it?

Edit: Never mind, Google is my friend :).

Razors Edge
09-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Google is also my friend. Male, If you want a free copy of Norton '06 just let me know, i'll help a brother out.

-I remember when Norton was free. That was the ****!

-----------------------------
My wireless router thingy has a firewall, if i am on the itnernet, gets annoying, it asks me if i want to visit a page. So like whenver I type in.."www.thebestcasescenario.com" it asks me like twice if I wanna go there.....

.Maleficus.
09-28-2006, 09:58 PM
That's ok, AVG Free works good enough for me!

Can anyone suggest any other things I might want to keep spam and other crap out? Or will Firefox do an adequet job of that on its own?

Slug Toy
09-28-2006, 10:37 PM
ive found that firefox works like a hot damn compared to internet explorer. i use spybot, and zone alarm as well, and between all the safety features... nothing goes in or out of my computer unless i know about it.

silverdemon
09-29-2006, 03:47 AM
I use Avast Antivirus (home edition) it's free and uses very little recources...

you can just register for free and then you get a one-year licence. After that year you just register again and get a new licence key. I have never had any problems with this program (only in the early Vista stages, but it works fine now)

simon275
09-29-2006, 06:33 AM
I had all types of free virus programs and stuff but like 6months ago my computer got seriosuly infected so I bit the bullet and bought Norton Anti Virus online. I reckon it was worth it. Allthough it does sit in the background and use up a bit memory but it keeps my computer safe.

Norton a price I'm willing to pay.

bigbaddog
09-30-2006, 12:03 PM
I have been building computers for about 10 years now for friends and a customer or two, and I always use either AVG Free or Avast! on all the machines I build. Both are great at keeping the baddies out and use very little background resources...and the updates are free.

I also work on bunches of "off the shelf" computers (Dell mostly, sometimes a Gateway or HP, or God forbid, a Compaq :eek: ) These computers come with a LIMITED version of Norton or McAfee, which requires you to shell out the green to keep them updated....which no one does. The pop up you get at startup which states "Your virus definitions are out of date" is not kidding. It's like ringing the dinner bell for a pack of hungry wolves. Next thing you know, your computer starts acting weird....then it's too late. Time for a clean wipe and reload. THEN I install the free virus program. I've had zero problems with machines I installed free virus protection or reformated/reinstalled and installed free virus programs.

Whichever you choose-keep the definitions up to date (Steps down off soapbox.)

DaveW
09-30-2006, 04:47 PM
I'll never use a symantec product after their conduct during the millenium bug.

I wrote an essay on cyber-terrorism 2 years ago, which examined the various types-but i also took a new approach, showing how corporate america used the millenium bug scare to fear-monger the rest of the world into buying 'fixes' for a problem which barely existed. Symantec was the worst culprit, offering 'y2k compliant' stickers and services.

That's why that company has so much power and money today. Oh, and i got full marks for my essay too, if anyone's interested ;)

-Dave

DonS1mpson
10-01-2006, 05:45 AM
Avast! is my favourtive, it also works kinda like a firewall (when I access sites that are trying to screw up my computer it automatcially stops loading the page).

It runs in the background and doesn't thake up too much system resoruces.

nil8
10-01-2006, 10:53 AM
AVG is the way to go.
As for a firewall, I suggest Sygate personal firewall.
Better than zonealarm, more networking functionality, and it doesn't candy coat crap. It's a geek's firewall.
It also notices application hijacking.
I've also noticed the amount of system resources varies. If you're doing a 600k/256k transfer, it can suck up your processor up to a third. If you're not doing anything network wise, it uses 01% of your processing power.

podpet24
10-19-2006, 02:41 PM
AVG Free Edition
Spybot Search and Destroy
Adaware

All free from download.com

I've been using Adaware and AVG for years, and I like Spybot. This computer genius I know swears by these, and now I do too.