PDA

View Full Version : New Generation War

Razors Edge
09-29-2006, 07:00 PM
Well new opinions arise.

Myself personally, I am going with the 360, witch I already own. I mean ps3 is just aobut the same thing. You're paying 2 or 3 hundred mroe dollars, for a thing thats equal in gnereation or power, The games makes the difference.

And a WII is just too...Family Orientated for me.

ShadowSniper
09-29-2006, 07:41 PM
Well, the PS3 is supposed to be a little better, but I'm going with the 360 because the games are more my style.

Chel
09-29-2006, 11:52 PM
Dont you think the PS3 is the better deal since it does play Blue Ray? Assuming that its the next big thing..

I like them all but Im not going to waste my money on them..

DaveW
09-30-2006, 04:17 AM
I don't know about later, but at the moment, everything's neck and neck.

All i'll say is that at least the Wii is original.

-Dave

chedabob
09-30-2006, 05:18 AM
ok, my opinion is that the 360 rocks. its the second cheapest console, and with a hd-dvd drive, it still clocks in at less than the ps3 price. im rootin for 360. the games are fun, xbox live is amazing, and its just waaaaay better than the ps3. the devs actually show real ingame footage, or if they show pre-rendered stuff, they admit it. they dont hype their games like "OMFG REALTIME SHADOWS", then when it comes down to it, it isnt actually that good.

yeah, the wii is original, but it just wont be fun after youve got tennis elbow, thrown the remote out the window after some sweaty-palms gamin action, and been at a&e every night of the week after somebody gets a black eye during multiplayer.

besides, id rather use the 360 cam. no remote needed, and no worries about multiplayer fights. besides, if you are playing the game at the same time as other people, you cant laugh at how daft they look.

Razors Edge
09-30-2006, 09:47 AM
HD-DVD is just as good as Blue-Ray.

MitaPi
10-01-2006, 12:09 PM
Camp Blu-ray
Backed by: Sony, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Hitachi, LG Electronics, Matsu****a Electric Industrial (Panasonic), Mitsubishi Electric, Philips Electronics, Pioneer Electronics, Samsung Electronics, Sharp, TDK, and Thomson Multimedia.

Fight song: "We're better, you know it."

Advantages: Getting the early start, Blu-ray has enjoyed more mindshare than HD-DVD, as well as a conglomerate of powerful backers that rivals President Bush's "coalition of the willing" in size and scope. Technologically, the biggest edge Blu-ray appears to have over HD-DVD is that it offers 30 percent more capacity and is designed for recording high-def video. Rewritable BD-RW discs, with similar features to Panasonic's current DVD-RAM discs, can play back content while recording to the disc at the same time. Also, Sony owns Columbia Pictures and recently bought MGM, which gives it a leg up on releasing content. And PlayStation 3 certainly will carry a huge chunk of clout in the marketplace.

Disadvantages: Real or not, the biggest knock against Blu-ray is that the discs--initially, at least--will be more costly to produce than HD-DVD media (Sony claims otherwise). Until recently, the other knock was that unlike DVD-HD, the Blu-ray spec did not include support for more advanced video compression codecs such as MPEG-4 AVC and Microsoft's VC-1, in addition to the MPEG-2 codec. But the Blu-ray Group recently announced support for those codecs, so they're now on even ground on that front.
------------------------------------------------------------------
HD-DVD posse
Backed by: Toshiba, NEC, Sanyo, and Memory-Tech. Microsoft is also supporting HD-DVD in its next version of Windows (support for Blu-ray is on the table).

Fight song: "We're evolutionary, not revolutionary."

Advantages: The name itself, HD-DVD, is far more consumer-friendly than Blu-ray. HD-DVDs carry the same basic structure as current DVDs, so converting existing DVD manufacturing lines into HD-DVD lines is supposedly simple and cost effective. Memory-Tech, a leading Japanese manufacturer of optical media, stated that producing HD-DVD discs would initially cost only 10 percent more than for existing DVDs and that it could quickly bring the cost down to match that of standard DVD.

Disadvantages: HD-DVD simply can't boast the same storage capacity as Blu-ray. It's confusing, but it appears that the rewritable HD-DVD-RW will go up 32GB, while the recordable HD DVD-R discs will only be single layer (15GB). The other downside is that with Sony holding the rights to Columbia Pictures and MGM movie and television libraries, there will probably be a hole in HD-DVD's content offering--don't expect to see MGM/UA's James Bond movies on HD-DVD, for example.

Outlook: Too close to call
Blu-ray had the early lead, but HD-DVD has been making inroads, garnering support from major studios Warner, Paramount, Universal, and New Line Cinema, who've decided to play it safe and back both formats. From a marketing standpoint, HD-DVD appears to be positioning itself as the more practical high-def DVD solution, an extension of the format rather than a leap beyond it. The Blu-ray group, for better or worse, is taking the bait and campaigning on technological superiority. Unfortunately, as a result, the press has jumped on the whole VHS vs. Betamax analogy--you know, the old "the best technology doesn't always win" story, which doesn't help Sony.

Personally, I think a better analogy is the whole SACD vs. DVD-Audio fiasco--you know, the war that no one seems to care about and no one's winning. In other words, Vince, hold onto your DVD collection; you have time. There are all kinds of copy-protection details to iron out, lots of politics, and some prices that need to drop a zero (people are just starting to buy DVD recorders, for crying out loud). Me, I'm ballparking the end of 2006 before anything interesting really starts to happen in the high-def disc arena. Until then, put in a well-transferred DVD and sit a little farther back from your TV. It all looks like HD from the other side of the room.

Sounds like Blu-Ray is better... but HD-DVD has a few tricks up their sleeves too. I wonder whats going to happen in the end? It looks like a pretty close battle.

Oh yeah, and my vote went towards Wii. I love nintendo :D

Is the Wii using Blu-Ray? I thought one of the consoles was... but I cant seem to remember.

Airbozo
10-01-2006, 02:27 PM
o- None of the above.

I spend to much time in front of my computer as it is, if I bought a console I would never leave the house...

MitaPi
10-01-2006, 04:13 PM
o- None of the above.

I spend to much time in front of my computer as it is, if I bought a console I would never leave the house...

And we all say in unison... amen!

Razors Edge
10-01-2006, 05:26 PM
PS3 is using blu-ray.

gaz_the_chav
10-02-2006, 08:45 AM
Xbox 360 ofcourse!

Has anyone played dead rising before??

Razors Edge
10-02-2006, 01:48 PM
I tried downloading the Demo, never did. I'm ganna buy the game pretty soon. Killing zombies and ****. Fun fun fun

Durrthock
10-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Ive played dead rising
and i already own a 360 ps3 is just too expensive and the wii is just to young

klingelton
10-25-2006, 07:22 AM
im not gonna bother with next gen console for now. I'm quite happy with pc, which let's face it can be more powerful than an x-box 360 anyways and offers a more immersive gaming experience. however it does cost twice the price, but can you browse the web and install software to make your xbox 360 do more or less what you want. can you code your own software on the xbox 360 at the moment for free?

pc is a more complete package, and is like a next gen console.

PC FTW!!!

Razors Edge
10-25-2006, 11:30 AM
For what the Xbox 360 offers, you need more then 2x the price of a 360 to compete it with a pc. $600 pcs don't offer dual core.

nil8
10-25-2006, 12:51 PM
I'll buy a wii about a year after it comes out. I don't like video game hype and initial expense. Not my bag.
I do like good gamemaking and Nintendo has yet to deliver, even if it is PG.
It's easier to make a blood & guts game and hold people's interest than a game that has no real violence and hold the same level of interest.

Zephik
10-25-2006, 01:51 PM
I'll buy a wii about a year after it comes out. I don't like video game hype and initial expense. Not my bag.
I do like good gamemaking and Nintendo has yet to deliver, even if it is PG.
It's easier to make a blood & guts game and hold people's interest than a game that has no real violence and hold the same level of interest.

Depends on the person

I could play Super Mario World for hours :devious:

lol

-SF

Airbozo
10-25-2006, 02:07 PM
For what the Xbox 360 offers, you need more then 2x the price of a 360 to compete it with a pc. $600 pcs don't offer dual core.

This is due to the fact that M$ looses money on the sale of every 360. They make it up on selling you $50 games for it, and a monthly sub fee to play online.

I would also prefer to just use my PC since it is more versatile, expandable and I can wait until the game drops to $20 before buying it and still have fun. Example: When the game XIII hit the market it was selling for $39.95. I just picked it up at fry's for $9.95. I am also able to play just about any game online for free (never paid a monthly fee for a game and never will), with my current internet connection.

Razors Edge
10-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Thats the thing. When I play any Online game, for ex. Need for Speed Most wanted, online on my pc. Theres always some idiots who has a 56k conenction or somthing. He lags up the whole race. Like we move at liek 2 mph per second. A 3 minute race takes 15.

On xbox live, it just all seems to work perfectley.

-Side Note: Im ranked #14 in the US onlnie at NFSMW.
Xbox 360 is rumored to drop to $199 around holidays.Making it the cheapest Next-Gen console. Thats how it competes with the Wii. Also M$ makes 50 Billion Dollars a year, they can offord to loose a few million. Coca-Cola is the only company that makes more the M$.