PDA

View Full Version : Ubantu Linux for everyone!

MDCS
10-03-2006, 07:42 PM
If you're into Linux, or just want to try it but ...
not change your OS or even add files to your hard drive.
You have to try Ubantu. You can download it right to a CD
and boot from that CD without any modifcations to your existing system.
Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com)

:D

Razors Edge
10-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Ubuntu Features Dual boot. Not to mention, if you want linux that loads right fromt he CD, try Knoppix.

Guttenaffe
10-03-2006, 09:39 PM
or gnoppix if you like gnome (don't know why, I don't like it at all and GTK programs all look the same :P )

*note* Linux runs about 30x faster when loading from a HDD than off a "live" CD.

Also be careful with software dual booting using grub (even LILO), two HDDs = best and safest bet without a boot loader, just swap via BIOS settings or use the standard (normally F12 today) boot "menu" included on most mobo ROMs.

tybrenis
10-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Ubuntu doesn't "feature dual boot". You can dual boot ANY operating systems.

Yeah, GRUB is crap. 2 HDDs is the only safe way, as mentioned.

I can't get Ubuntu working on my machine. To my knowledge it's a so far undocumented problem.

.Maleficus.
10-03-2006, 10:19 PM
I can't get Ubuntu working on my machine. To my knowledge it's a so far undocumented problem.
Is it hanging on the install? I tried installing the 32-bit and 64-bit on my computer, and I could get to "Mounting Root File System" and then would have to turn off my computer. Some new chips on mobos aren't supported yet, like mine. Maybe yours is too?

MDCS
10-03-2006, 10:37 PM
I didn't have any problems. I downloaded it to my Lian Li, burned an image copy to a CD. Pressed "esc" for booting options on bootup, and it booted right up into Ubantu. I think it looks pretty cool, and had some very nice features and tools included. :)

Razors Edge
10-04-2006, 03:31 PM
Well i'm not a linux guy, Windows works fine for my gaming needs. Also i get Windows for free as my dad owns like a pretty big company that pretty much we buy enough copies of windows for costumers that we get them at like $9 a copy.

m4gnum
10-04-2006, 03:52 PM
I've currently got Ubuntu server running on the TARDIS. Working well, but I'm still learning how to set it up properly to do what I need it to do.

tybrenis
10-05-2006, 06:42 AM
The problem I have with Ubuntu is a bit wierd. I can get it completely installed and running, and then I'll reboot. Starting Ubuntu, all seems fine. I get the GUI and I can type in my username and password. Then, the screen goes black except for my cursor.

I can move around the cursor, and when I press Ctrl + Alt + F1, I can go into the console and everything appears to be working. But.... it isn't.

chedabob
10-05-2006, 02:48 PM
maybe its just takin a while to load, or your graphics drivers are messed up and the X server isnt workin properly.

Guttenaffe
10-07-2006, 12:08 AM
chedabob that is a fairly shotgun responce ;) (not an insult but it is sorta like reading:
"{Person 1}My windows doesn't work cause th video is weird.
{Person 2}Well your video drivers are shot, hdd is slow, or you corrputed windows"

You can try switching to "MESA" or "DRI Project" drivers and see how that works. You might have some weird driver installed. When it loads switch to TTY1

OvRiDe
10-07-2006, 03:05 AM
Ty, do you have an Nvidia or an AIT card in the machine you are loading with Ubuntu. I had the same problem with my 7900GT. I loaded the newest Nvidia drivers (here is the important part) from Nvidia. Apparently distributing the proper Nvidia drivers within a distro violates the GPL. I believe that ATI is the same, in respect to the GPL so if you have one of them, it may be the same problem.

Hope this helps and good luck.

tybrenis
10-07-2006, 02:18 PM
I am using an old compaq with onboard video. I don't think its video drivers because first off, I can see everything until that point, and second off, the cursor is still visible, just nothing else.

I have also tried switching the drivers to "VESA" without any luck.

OvRiDe
10-07-2006, 03:28 PM
I don't think its video drivers because first off, I can see everything until that point, and second off, the cursor is still visible, just nothing else. So could I, but it wasn't until I loaded the new drivers and adjusted the conf file to fit the new drivers before it worked. I have never had issues with Intel onboard graphics so I can see your point as well. By the way which version of Ubuntu are you trying to load, Dapper or Breezy?

tybrenis
10-07-2006, 04:59 PM
It's an AMD motherboard.

I'm trying to load Breezy.

All I need to install is EMC, however, the BDI doesn't work on my machine for some reason? I'll figure it out eventually, I haven't had time to work on it.