PDA

View Full Version : Operating System Project

progbuddy
10-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Still a noob at modding (lol and software development), but I'm starting to understand the concept of Linux. I plan to set a long-term goal to make a Linux-based OS with the compatibility of Windows XP, yet have a simpler way of editing system files, overclocking, system maintenance, and integrating software/hardware. If anyone wants to help, please PM me :D .

-Kevin (not Dave lol)

Cevinzol
10-05-2006, 09:13 PM
I plan to set a long-term goal to make a Linux-based OS with the compatibility of Windows XP Lol good luck. I think Bill Gates and his lawyers migh have a thing or two to say about you trying to reverse engineer some of XP's proprietary code.

I'd love to help you but I'm working on re-desinging the automobile from the ground up. I heard that that this wheel thing could come in handy.

/sarcasm off

Slug Toy
10-05-2006, 10:47 PM
if i knew anything about how an operating system worked, or anything about C++, id help out on this. ive always like the idea of having your own custom software. i love the idea of using sdk's in games and making my own maps and such.... and just wish i could do my own shaders to go with.

if you need creative ideas, or testers or something, ill definitely do that. just one word of warning... i like slick interfaces that are easy to learn and use, and clean graphics. hopefully that matches what you want to do.

i have a friend who may be into this sort of thing too. hes a big computer sciences kind of guy... top of the class in grade 12... uses linux and fiddles with code all the time from what i understand. ill pass word along to him.

one idea i need to get out now is dx10 or something equivalent. i really dont know what is going to happen to linux in terms of dx10 related content. that should be looked into.

nil8
10-06-2006, 12:04 AM
It might be a good idea to go off another build. No reason to spend millions of man hours on something that's already available.

progbuddy
10-06-2006, 01:39 PM
I'll just probably hack some files off iClinux and work upwards from there. I know BASIC and some C and C++. I'll try to find my copy of VB.

PS- Here's something I've always wondered. How can you create a "goto" command but no "label" command in VB? It's very confusing because i want to create subroutines in VB.

DaveW
10-06-2006, 02:25 PM
-Kevin (not Dave lol)

:D

-Dave

ajmilton
10-06-2006, 03:17 PM
PS- Here's something I've always wondered. How can you create a "goto" command but no "label" command in VB? It's very confusing because i want to create subroutines in VB.
erm. vb's quite dissimilar from BASIC. for subroutines you just write a function and call the function. unless you're using vba, in which case ... you write a sub :p
no more of that silly

10 PRINT "HI"
20 GOTO 10
HI
HI
HI
HI
HI

stuff

it'd be more like

function hi(name)

dim strGreet
strGreet = "yo, sup " + name + vbCrLf

do
Debug.Print strGreet
while true

end function

>hi "progbuddy"
yo, sup progbuddy
yo, sup progbuddy
yo, sup progbuddy
yo, sup progbuddy
yo, sup progbuddy
yo, sup progbuddy
yo, sup progbuddy

or something :P

:)

(yay for infinite loops of greetings)
disclaimer: my sample code might not work. and if it does, it's liable to cause much annoyance.

OvRiDe
10-07-2006, 03:36 AM
If you want to build a linux distro with the compatibility of WindowsXP, you better get a move on it. If you go long term, XP will be long gone and we will be on to the next Windows OS with all of its problems. :D Plus there is quite a large group already working on this same thing.

There was an OS called Lindows that turned to Linspire (http://www.linspire.com/), they tried to pull it off. Now there is Linux XP (http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/4207). Something that I would recommend is Crossover Linux (formerly Crossover Office) from Codeweavers (http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/). I have had to use it in the past to accomplish a few thing, and it works surprising ly well. Right now we all know that gaming is the biggest problem. Honestly for almost everything most people do there are already native linux programs. You got Web browsers , GIMP for graphics, Audacity for music editing, Blender for 3D graphics, Open Office 2 for Spreadsheets, Wordprocessing, Presentations, plenty of Database Engines, etc, etc. Gaming is still where we run into the biggest issues. Transgaming has been working hard to bridge that gap with Cedega (http://www.transgaming.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=2&meid=-1) (formerly WineX) for quite a while. Until game manufactures quit developing all their games for DirectX (Microsoft product) it is going to continue to be a problem. I figure its just a matter of time before somebody cracks it.

<\rant>

MDCS
10-07-2006, 08:46 AM
I'll just probably hack some files off iClinux and work upwards from there. I know BASIC and some C and C++. I'll try to find my copy of VB.

You can create subs and functions in VB.

Example of sub calling a function.
It even creates a file for slide names.

Calling sub ...

If widget = TRUE then
SaveSlides
Else
do something else here
end if

'===================================
Private Sub SaveSlides()

Dim F As Integer, i As Integer, s As Integer, SlideCount as Integer
ReDim SlideNames(1 To 1) As String '// (previously dimmed)

On Error GoTo SlideErr

s = 0

For i = 0 To List1.ListCount - 1 ' simple list box
If List1.Selected(i) Then
GetType List1.List(i) -'// HERE is a function (GetType)- it will go there if item is selected //

If Pics Or Videos Or MP3 Then '// looking for some condition
s = s + 1
ReDim Preserve SlideNames(1 To s) As String
SlideNames(s) = PathName & List1.List(i) '// create pathname ahead of time
End If
End If
Next i

If s <= 0 Then
Beep
Exit Sub
End If

SlideCount = s

F = FreeFile
If Check4.Value = 1 Then
Open Slidename For Append Shared As #F
Else
Open Slidename For Output Shared As #F
End If

For i = 1 To SlideCount
Print #F, SlideNames(i)
Next

Close #F
Exit Sub

SlideErr:
End Sub

I'm a programmer. Above is quick and dirty though.

:)

MDCS
10-07-2006, 08:50 AM
P.S.
Above if in the same form or module or ...
If the sub or function is not ... then you need to make it a Public sub, not Private sub.

progbuddy
10-07-2006, 11:45 AM
lmao make that a long, long, long term project.