PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on case design.

craigr1982
10-09-2006, 06:09 AM
Hi gang,

I am going to start designing a case from scratch again. This is not for any mod of mine or anyone's really but something to see if I can do it to like industry standard.

Therefore I want to ask you the modding community what you would like in a case.

So basically what do you look for in a case?

Already got things like:
1. Removable Mobo tray
2. 120mm Fan mounts front and rear (number undecided)
3. The usual front ports (usb, mic etc)
4. Rubber gromits for silencing drives etc.

If you cant think of anything maybe suggest a case that you think is good (CM Stacker for one) that I can look at and maybe gain ideas from.

Airbozo
10-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Cable management!
Compartmentalization (heh is that even a word?)
Tool-less design

craigr1982
10-10-2006, 07:05 AM
cable management is a must yeah, thinking of having like pockets for extra cables etc.

what about amount of drive space. how many bays do you look for?

klingelton
10-11-2006, 06:01 PM
modular psu FTW!!

stacker - removable drive bay with cooler on
water cooling as standard on the case (i'm really liking thermaltake for doing this on their current cases and making them affordable)

Cevinzol
10-12-2006, 07:35 AM
- air filters for the fans (removable/replaceable)
- 5.25" bays all down the front (FDD bays are a waste)
- re-locatable front ports. The power, usb, etc should be in a faceplate that can be moved to any open drive bay so you can reach them whether the case is on the floor or desktop.
- I don't like plastic tool-less design but large screws you can thumb tighten would be good.
- handle for carying and/or optional casters.
- Single bay 6" LCD display (http://www.casemodgod.com/new_page_35.htm)

craigr1982
10-12-2006, 09:44 AM
like the ideas of air filters, also the idea of having moveable drive mounts ,like the stacker. front ports relocatable also good. thinking of either tool less or thumbscrews. was thinking of castors.

simon275
10-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Good fan filter I have one at home. They ship internationally to. They also have other stuff you will need as well fan guards etc.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=92&products_id=1830

- Difeneatly a top fan that exhausts hot air out the top of the case. Also having

- The PSU down the bottom seperated from the case in its own little windtunnel thing is good to.

- LCD with system temps

- Fan controls

- Covers so you can stealth optical drives.

- Cable Management

- Carry handle so it can be taken to Lan's

- Be made of light weight material such as aluminium so it doesn't weigh so much

I don't ask much do I

Chingas
10-15-2006, 03:33 AM
Let's see---

Cable management...agreed.
120-150mm blow-hole exaust...yes
zone-cooling---like the lian li vp-2100
mobo tray...i like.
how about a floating mobo tray design that allows us to snake cables behind/under the mobo for management?
lcd...nice, but depends where you put your pc. If on the floor, mount flush to the top of the pc in the front, above where your first 5 1/4 would be.
Anti-vibrating rubber grommets fro case fans.
Definately thumb screws, and easy access to remove side panels.
How about some way to pull your side panel off without having to disconnect your side panel case fan?
Casters...yes
Bay door with window to allow you to see system temps and fan controllers.
lighting avenues to install case lights.
Sound dampening pads to keep some noise down.
front panel usb, i would loose the mic in and others. Throw them on the far side, out of sight, out of mind, behind some kind of flip door.
i guess that's it...for now.

---Chingas---

simon275
10-16-2006, 01:08 AM
A floating mobo tray sounds like a great idea would be good for hiding cables that run from the PSU to the rear exhaust fans nice. Diffentaly put that in.

Tweezy
11-27-2006, 01:55 PM
don't leave out 1394b, those connections are a must have for any case... firewire.... hello?!

isunktheship
11-29-2006, 04:25 AM
Built in LCD monitor of course!
Also, perfect space for reservoirs, and hidden lighting.
Buttons on the top of the case, that's always handy.

Later on when you choose a theme, make the case have some unique shapes to it, think outside the... box? Haha, looking forward to it.

cbelmo159
11-29-2006, 04:47 PM
Might i suggest the over all size of the case. could be important depending on what you plan on doing with it.