PDA

View Full Version : Really need your help guys...

Kaej
10-18-2006, 04:01 PM
Windows.

Big Time.

I installed a load of new kit into my pc over the past 2-3 months, inc water-cooling, new mobo (A8N32-SLi) and a new CPU (AMD X2 3800+).

When i booted her up for the first time i got loads of bios problems but soon fixed these with a bios reset and new bios install from floppy disc.

Then it went straight into windows and was fine for a while.

Having to replace the reservoir and whatnot over the past 2 weeks has left me with a PC that crashes during start-up, resets itself, won't let me log into my windows account or the guest account, crashes when it does, won't finish a windows repair install among other things.

Tell me truthfully.

Is my PC ****ed?

ajmilton
10-18-2006, 04:06 PM
possibly :P you seen any leaks from the reservoir replacement?
frequent crashes is often a heat problem, is something not working in your cooling system?

Kaej
10-18-2006, 04:13 PM
It's all sealed pretty tight, no leaks. Besides, i'm using non-conductuve fluid so thats safe at least.

The only thing i can think of is the mosfets on my 7800 GTX, i've fitted a 72mm fan to aim air over them but i'm not sure how much good it'll do.

What about all the windows errors and stuff?

Forgot to mention that it blue screens during the repair install sometimes.

ajmilton
10-18-2006, 04:18 PM
as far as i understand it, non-conductive fluid's only such up to the point where impurities can get into it, like ... if it leaks onto something possibly dusty. but i'll concede that point for now :p

since you said it crashes during startup, it's probably hardware-related instead of windows. i still think it sounds like a heat problem.

Kaej
10-18-2006, 04:30 PM
More fans i guess...

I have a 120mm and a couple of 40mm that i can reposition
it might actually be a north/south bridge heat issue
the main heat sink at the top is getting relatively little airflow now i think about it.

ajmilton
10-18-2006, 04:42 PM
i keep a smallish desktop fan for checking stuff like this :P just take the side off the case and blow in the fresh (presumably cooler) air

does your bios have a temp monitor? might be worthwhile to see if it's recording a high cpu temp or something.

YoungBlood
10-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Kaej? U from newcastle?

Kaej
10-20-2006, 10:10 AM
I am in Newcastle now, yeah, but i'm originally from just outside liverpool.

Here for uni, so i'm really peeved about my pc. Didn't attempt anything last night, gonna try and fix it today.

klingelton
10-25-2006, 07:28 AM
any chance you can give us some operational temps of your cpu/gpu plus the ambient case temp?

SgtM
11-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Can you tell us the exact blue screen error? Is this still even an issue for you?

progbuddy
11-20-2006, 07:57 AM
It might be a problem more with the southbridge than the northbridge if you overclock. Try finding a bigger northbridge, and if your southbridge will accept a heatsink, try a bigger one for that. Also, a problem I have experienced happened with people "accidentally" putting magnets next to harddrives. If you have another harddrive with an OS on it, try booting from that HDD.

monoflap
11-21-2006, 06:27 PM
Having to replace the reservoir and whatnot over the past 2 weeks has left me with a PC that crashes during start-up... Why did you have to replace the res? Because, If you ran the comp with out the water cooling functioning properly chances are you damaged your hardware perhaps even killed it :( .

slytherock
11-22-2006, 08:16 PM
One of the first reason of the blue screen of death corrupt driver. Use driver cleaner and reinstall your drivers first

As mentionned, it could be a heat problem. But if you're watercooled, you're probably also OClocked. If yes, other things can be in cause:

First what's your temps?
If your temps are acceptable:

1: Too much oc on the cpu
2: Your ram dont support that much

It also can be a faulty part:

1: try to downclock
2: Use one stick of ram at a time