PDA

View Full Version : Why still a box?

heychadwick
05-09-2005, 05:23 PM
I've thought about making custom cases for pcs for a few years now, but have only seriously begun to look into it. I've seen a lot of great cases and modifications out there and I am greatly impressed. Still, I have one complaint in general about the types of cases that I find out there: they're still just a bunch of boxes.

I will admit that I start off with an artistic background who has learned pcs the past 10 years or so. When I like to get creative, I really like to push it to the limits. It amazes me when I see people go through all this time and trouble to make something original....and yet it still is just a box. Sure, it's a really nifty and shiny/stylish/wooden box, but it's still just kinda rectangular.

Now, I have seen some really cool cases. I've seen some made out of guitars, charcoal grillers, toilets, female maniquins, and more. I've seen the DOOM 3 case, the Hellraiser case. That awesome cube one. These are amazind and blow me away. They seem to be in the minority, though. Why is it that these skilled and creative folk haven't gotten away from the box?

Frakk
05-09-2005, 05:43 PM
maybe because they dont liek the idea of having guitars, charcoal grillers, toilets, female maniquins sitting next to them :D there are mods out there from different toy models and objects but not everyone likes these ideas. after all a computer is a computer, "lets not turn jesus into a clown" right? :D

MrSlacker
05-09-2005, 06:32 PM
most peaople are used to computers as a box sitting on the floor next to them. rectangle is the easiest shape to make. also its easy to mount drives in it.

heychadwick
05-10-2005, 12:48 PM
I believe that computers are changing in how we use them in daily life. Just look at things like the iPod, streaming media servers, smart clothing, backpacks that have solar laptop rechargers, etc. Technology is becoming more prevelant in our society and becoming more commonplace.

It doesn't have to be a box.

While I named a bunch of whacky things that I saw, I still think that it is possible to have creative and interesting pc cases that are also fully functional (and expandable). Look at the mac and how it has changed. People like their computers to be more then boxes of off-white or black. This forum proves it. I just don't understand while so many people can't escape the box.

Frakk
05-10-2005, 03:03 PM
i dont know what point ure trying to make. many people stick with a box because they dont have the tools and/or ability to build them into something else. and those who have everything needed still do "boxes" because they like them and rather want to make a nice looking box than an average looking computer in some other object or shape. the layout and organization in boxes are also a lot easier to manage. but in the end it comes down to personal taste and many modder wants to keep the computer to look like a.... computer and not some whacked out object.

ljroller
05-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Ok, so look up at the top of this page...
see the THEBESTCASESCENARIO.COM logo???
See what it says right underneath the name?
To quote "custom computer case mods".
The key here is MOD... as in short for MODIFICATION.
Case MODS are just that, they are modifications of a
computer CASE. What you are proposing is case construction,
and there are a few people out there who have the talent,
experience, and tools, to be able to construct a case from
scratch, but they are few and far between.

Far more common is the individual who wants to MOD his case
into something that reflects his personality. This can be as simple
as adding some CCL's, or as difficult as an intricately cut side panel.
These modifications require far less time/talent/experience/money/tools
than creating a structure from scratch.

The one area where you are starting to see more experimentation
is in the area of acrylic cases. Not to knock those doing acrylic at all,
because I have not tried it yet myself, but the simple fact is, it takes
far less experience and tools to create a case out of acrylic than it does
out of metal.

Anyway, that is my thoughts on your question of why the box...
because the box is what you can buy to MOD.

Zeus
05-10-2005, 07:51 PM
Ok, so look up at the top of this page...
see the THEBESTCASESCENARIO.COM logo???
See what it says right underneath the name?
To quote "custom computer case mods".
The key here is MOD... as in short for MODIFICATION.
Case MODS are just that, they are modifications of a
computer CASE. What you are proposing is case construction,
and there are a few people out there who have the talent,
experience, and tools, to be able to construct a case from
scratch, but they are few and far between.

Far more common is the individual who wants to MOD his case
into something that reflects his personality. This can be as simple
as adding some CCL's, or as difficult as an intricately cut side panel.
These modifications require far less time/talent/experience/money/tools
than creating a structure from scratch.

The one area where you are starting to see more experimentation
is in the area of acrylic cases. Not to knock those doing acrylic at all,
because I have not tried it yet myself, but the simple fact is, it takes
far less experience and tools to create a case out of acrylic than it does
out of metal.

Anyway, that is my thoughts on your question of why the box...
because the box is what you can buy to MOD.

HERE HERE!!!

I believe the above poster hit the nail on the head. We are modders. Not fabricators (at least not on a large scale) You could make the same observation of cars. Why do modded cars still look cars (mostly)? Because they are moddified, not fabricated.

Anyway, that is just what i had to say on the subject.

The Grendel
05-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Heychadwick,

The case evolved to fit the needs of the components, not the other way around. The case is rectangular because, construction wise, that is the most efficient way to house the internal components. And they mainly remain that way because the internal components haven't changed their shape. As well, the current layouts are efficient. until there is a more efficient design for them i doubt they will change. But don't get me wrong, there have been attempts to change the design.

Remeber the original iMac?
The design specifications to make the internal components fit in the case called to have a mother board and a daughter board installed at an extreme angle. This change meant that they could fit all the necessary components into the case. But also, the system was virtually impossible to upgrade. It was dangerous to even add more ram. I've heard stories from a friend of mine who works as an Apple Certified Technician. Stories of poeple who destroyed their iMacs while trying to disconnect the daughter board so that they could add more ram. (the ram slots were sandwiched in between the two boards).
Since then they have retired the original iMac design and are moving on. But at the same time, their towers have kept to the same basic internal design. What's more, Apple doesn't have market share(PCs sell more and are more widely used) so no matter what innovations they come up with, the computer design standards won't change until major PC component manufacturers begin producing components based on non standard design.

It will come, soon enough.

The simple fact is that Humans are, among other things, creatures of habit.
We generally find a certain way do do something or a certain favorite product or brand and stick with it.

For example, I prefer Intel and Nvidia. And while some Intel cpus and some Nvidia gpus perform better, not all models out perform AMD and ATI. Yet despite the difference in price and performance for various models, I stick with Intel and Nvidia.

The industry is the same, and change comes slowly.

10 years ago you couldn't find a case that wasn't beige or grey
5 years ago you couldn't find a premod (give or take)
in another few years, you will be able to find more and more non-rectangular cases and new more diverse component design.

All it takes is time.

-Grendel

redhalo
05-11-2005, 08:30 AM
I've seen plenty of non box cases, the OP even listed many of them himself. What are you proposing? That everyone stops modding boxes and switches to higher end building? I think the percentage of non box cases is reflective to the precentage of people who have the skills and intrest to make one.

heychadwick
05-11-2005, 08:48 AM
First off, I want to apologize if I have offended anyone. I'm just asking.

I can understand the point about being modifiers and not creators. That's a good answer. I also understand that you work with what you have and what is convienant. Personally, I have been wanting to work with unusual items that I have around. I admit that they are rather boxish in shape, but still unique. I know that boxish is convienant and easy to work with, but I guess I keep expecting to see a little more experimentation.

My first project that I want to work on is taking an antique radio shell and convert it into a case. It's an old wooden radio from the 1930's. It's just the case, really. I want to put an old pc of mine into it and work a few things into the frame. Add some lights to the bandwidth dial, etc. Now, would that be a mod? Or would it be creating a new case? One can make the argument that I am moding an object to be a case.

If my first project works satisfactory, I plan on getting a mini mother board for something even more out there. I want to get a bunch of old bound books and glue them together. I then will hallow them out and use a face plate on the back and make it into a case. From the front, you wouldn't be able to see much that it is a pc. While it's not as out there as building a pc into a manequin, it's more then just putting a window in the case.

Once again, sorry if I started off on the wrong foot. I'm just curious about the various projects people work on and the ideas they get. I look forward to building my pcs and hopefully getting some help from some of you if I run into problems.

Frakk
05-11-2005, 03:09 PM
you are talking about making an object into a computer. imo it is kinda between "case moding and creating" as you said because you are not creating anything, but not modding a case either, but creating a computer case by modding an other object. this is cool and in the end it comes down to personal tastes. if you want a computer to look like something else, its fine, but there are those who want to keep the computer look. and not stealth it into something else. everyone has a different style and approach to modding, hence you see the boxes :D

Malatory
05-11-2005, 03:47 PM
Wrong foot ... Just becarefull moving around. Toes get stepped on all of the time. You have to also remimber a strieght line is easyer to cut than one that has bends. Also most have limited tools. CNC mills and water Jets are not as common in someone home workshop as a table saw or jib saw.

the current project I am working on does come in line as fabberaction but I started with right angles and not odd shapes.

http://dragonfly.bodybydk.com/wopr-s12.jpg
Drive rails at another view.
http://dragonfly.bodybydk.com/wopr-s13.jpg

and I need to spend a few hours working on it somemore to get an update on my project log.

heychadwick
05-11-2005, 05:05 PM
Trust me, I don't have any fancy tools, either. In fact, I don't have the wood working skills that is going to be required for this project. I am going to tackle the whole thing and learn in the process. I'm looking forward to it.

Once again, sorry if I offended!

Xato
05-18-2005, 08:43 PM
I'm sure u didn't offend... but jumping on a forum for case modding and questioning how we do it, aint to cool... lol.
And as you know, this is pretty much the site where people come to try and be like crimson. That is, to be able to make cases from an idea as well as he does. Everybody here is learning. A few lights here, a window there, are the perfect places to start modding, as it gives you fundamentals of cutting and electronics. Case fabrication, isn't really an easy place to start... it requires a lot of knowledge in engineering and metalworking (or a damn lot of practice).

And i think sexy comp boxes can look a lot cooler (as far as computers go) than some object themed mods... I mean, i'd prefer an awesome looking box comp over a case such as Crimson's Metropolis (no offence =D ), just because i <3 smaller more futuristic cases. And by futuristic, i mean, sci-fi... lol

Pascs
05-19-2005, 12:41 AM
It is obviously much easier to cut and produce something which has inherently straight lines. Once you try and add all the items which too are straight, motherboard, HDD, PSU etc then for ease of manufacture and efficiency you end up with a case shape - and a case can have a beautiful aesthetic shape.

I’m not really into themed cases as some can look too involved but some do look absolutely fantastic although I definitely don’t have the time to put into one.

What kind of shapes are you thinking of ? How about a pyramid in acrylic - still straight lines but slightly different from a square case - this will probably be my next 'case' project

Crimson Sky
05-19-2005, 12:36 PM
My first project that I want to work on is taking an antique radio shell and convert it into a case. It's an old wooden radio from the 1930's. It's just the case, really. I want to put an old pc of mine into it and work a few things into the frame. Add some lights to the bandwidth dial, etc. Now, would that be a mod? Or would it be creating a new case? One can make the argument that I am moding an object to be a case.

Welcome to TBCS! you can see we are passionate about case modding, don't take it the wrong way when some of the folks come off as harsh, its just that we love this stuff and we all talk like Italians around a Sunday dinner table sometimes--loud and fiery!

anyway the mod you described abovew sounds like what I call a "found object mod" --taking an everyday (or not) item and transforming it into a computer. Best of luck with it, I hope you post it here as you build it!

heychadwick
05-19-2005, 12:38 PM
As stated, my first project is to take a 1930's radio and turn it into a working pc. I'll add lights behind the frequency indicator. I'll put some USB ports in the front. I don't want to change it too much as I like the craftsmanship of the original object in a new format. I like a time when a standard household electronic item (the radio) had a more asthetic appeal.

I've also thought about doing something with a buddha statue. I figure the statue would be on a base that would hold the pc. There wouldn't be much in the statue, save for LED lights as the eyes to indicate the hard drive was thinking. Oh, and I would love to turn his belly button into either the power button or the disk eject. This is a project that is much into my future, if at all.

I have thought about a pyramid. I think that would be cool to do. Along with other classical ideas, I've thought of even just putting greek columns and friezes on the sides of cases, too. That would take more skill then what I have at the momment, though.

A crazy idea I had would have to be done with laptop parts. It would be to take a basketball with a college emblem on it (college b-ball is big here) and turn it into a pc. I figure I would have to find some sort of foam that hardened a bit to fill it. After that, I would cut it in half to get into it. There wouldn't be much room for the mother board, power supply, and hard drive. If possible, I might even be able to fit in an optical drive. Put some cheap plastic tabs on as feet, and it will stand on it's own.

I'd love to see some sort of death star model turned into a pc, though. I've had some thoughts about putting some kid's toys as cases, but don't have anything specific in mind. Doll houses would be easy.

These are just some of the random things that I come up with that would like to see happen.

Crimson Sky
05-19-2005, 12:41 PM
90 degree angles= 0 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28&page=1) :D

heychadwick
05-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Very cool...

Xato
05-20-2005, 01:22 AM
THATS the type of modding we all wanna be able to do =P