PDA

View Full Version : Making Custom Fan Grills

Zephik
10-24-2006, 11:44 AM
Ever wanted a slightly more "custom look" to your fan grills or your pc in general? well Gruntville said it best,

As you sit back and enjoy the fruits of your hard earned case modding labor, you might be asking yourself, “What next”? You’ve got the lights, the windows and all the bought goodies but as with any good case modder you’re still not satisfied. Well my friends this is a How To for all you adventurous souls who want to take your case to the next level of originality. The process is called “Molding and Casting” and it will allow you to customize your rig in ways that will make other modders drool. The process takes a little effort to fully master, but I assure you that the results will be worth it. In order to introduce you to how molding and casting works, I will take you through the steps and resources that I used to make some cool and highly detailed fan grills.

Tutorial Linkage: *Clicky* (http://www.gruntville.com/howtos/customgrills/index.php)

I hope this helps some of you out there looking for that "extra touch" to your comptuer. I know it certainly got my attention!

Have fun!

-SF

DaveW
10-24-2006, 11:49 AM
They also have a waterjet machine, and can sell you your own watercut fan grilles.

Crimson's on friendly terms with them, so they had an add running here a short while back.

-Dave

Zephik
10-24-2006, 11:58 AM
Wow! That is cool, I didnt know they had that!

Can you get the same effect with a water cut grill? The casting and molding can give you a more "3D" grill and you can add in as much detail as you want. I've only seen water jets cut flat things so thats why I ask.

-SF

Razors Edge
10-24-2006, 05:21 PM
I read this a while ago. That maurijuana grill is pretty tight.

Omega
11-07-2006, 02:40 AM
I'm actually considering getting some sheetmetal to make me some fan grilles -- i have access to a metalshop, too.

Zephik
11-07-2006, 03:32 AM
I'm actually considering getting some sheetmetal to make me some fan grilles -- i have access to a metalshop, too.

Nice

Any designs in mind?

-SF

Omega
11-07-2006, 09:53 PM
Nice

Any designs in mind?

-SF

Not currently, but if you wanna design something that might be smooth and fit in with ArgDawn (click my sig to see it) and what i'm trying to achicve, hit me with it =D

jdbnsn
11-07-2006, 10:45 PM
These might make interesting fan grills, not real sure if they fit what you building or not.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f395/jdbnsn/misc/fangrills.jpg

Omega
11-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Love the first one, Absoloutely love it. If this was a mod themed about WoW's Argent Dawn faction, that would be more than perfect, but it's not.

I might just see about doing something similar, though. I love that design.

jdbnsn
11-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Oh I misunderstood, what is the theme? Maybe I can come up with something else.

Omega
11-08-2006, 12:04 AM
Oh I misunderstood, what is the theme? Maybe I can come up with something else.

Trying to be smooth, sleek, kind of hidden, however with parts that can still contrast. Perhaps just something... abstract?

I also gotta figure out what i'm gonna do about the front intake =/

jdbnsn
11-08-2006, 01:00 AM
Is this for any particular mod? I might be able to come up with something in general but I'll have more luck if I can see what I'm trying to fit.

Omega
11-08-2006, 01:57 AM
Project ArgDawn...

jdbnsn
11-08-2006, 03:03 AM
Well, I kinda took that word "abstract" and ran with it. There is nothing good on TV and I can't study another minute tonight so I felt like scribbling. I'll try to hit project ArgDawn another time, in the meantime here are some ideas to play with...

you said abstract...
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f395/jdbnsn/misc/abstract.jpg

and if you build this you may earn some crimson colored brownie points ;)
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f395/jdbnsn/misc/TBCSBP.jpg

Ok, so your screen name is Omega right??? Get this...
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f395/jdbnsn/misc/omega.jpg

Zephik
11-08-2006, 08:17 AM
These might make interesting fan grills, not real sure if they fit what you building or not.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f395/jdbnsn/misc/fangrills.jpg

lol

You know that second one looks like a nipple ring I was going to buy! :p

I like your fan grill designs man! Especially that TBCS one! HA! lol that was great. I wouldnt mind using that on any of my computers...

Hmmm....

You know what we need?

We need a TBCS store!

Hats, shirts, hoodies, fan grills, and anything else you can think of!

That would be so cool! :p

Dangit.. lol now I really want a TBCS hoodie...

-SF

simon275
11-08-2006, 08:52 AM
http://www.cafepress.com/

Can setup a store and upload images to put on items. They come at a base price that covers the cost and the profit margin can be set.

I get some time I might make a counter strike fan grill of my fav weapon the Clarion FAMAS.

GT40_GearHead
11-08-2006, 11:15 AM
OMEGA is gona loveeeee this :))

Omega
11-08-2006, 12:08 PM
That first one is sexy, frosted plexi wi9th an LED for lighting seems marvelous. I might just have to look into that.

Also, the TBCS one is pretty nifty. I'llgo over these more later =D

Omega
11-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Okay, so i went over the "abstract" one that you made, and figured i'd refine at least the base in visio -- not done yet, though.

I think i'll refine them all in visio, though. Escpeclially the TBCS one. Perhaps i can alter that a little bit to make it fit my color scheme and make it on the inside of one of the fans =D like the front 120, that'd be cool.

jdbnsn
11-08-2006, 07:39 PM
I had an idea of how you could make the TBCS grill look a little more impressive. If you leave out the screen, cut a thin piece of plexi in the exact shape of the symbol in the middle (by the way, anyone know what the hell that thing is? reminds me a little of Dart Vader's Tie fighter) and leave 2 or 4 small tabs extending away from the symbol to connect to the frame. Then mount a red LED behind the fan to give it that ominous red glow. The tabs connecting the center piece to the frame will show up a little, so I think it would work best if you oriented them to be placed in line with parts of the fan that will block the light.

EDIT: Just had another idea, to avoid the whole tab problem, just cut the plexi to the shape of the center piece and omit the tabs. Then mount your fan so that the side with the motor housing is facing out. You could then stack a couple of layers of clear plexi and attach it directly to the motor housing and just reverse the fan's polarity if needed. Is this making any sense or should i draw it to clarify?

Omega
11-08-2006, 07:50 PM
Actually the mesh wouldn't be much of a problem, but I'd just change the color of the thing. The outer ring would be dark blue, black mesh, and that silver TBCS logo.

jdbnsn
11-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Well either way I am anxious to see what you come up with. Got a link to the computer it is for? Or is it project un-named?

tybrenis
11-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Well either way I am anxious to see what you come up with. Got a link to the computer it is for? Or is it project un-named?

To answer for Omega - yeah, it's project Unnamed, eventually renamed Argent Dawn.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2811

Correct me if I'm wrong?

jdbnsn
11-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Love the first one, Absoloutely love it. If this was a mod themed about WoW's Argent Dawn faction, that would be more than perfect, but it's not.

Well then I am totally confused, is this a different Argent Dawn?

tybrenis
11-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Now I'm confused. Thanks a lot.

Lol, perhaps Omega could enlighten us?

Omega
11-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Okay. The project was unnamed until i saw the name "Argent Dawn" and thought that would make a cool color scheme. Argent, being a silver-grey color, and dawn being the black and dark blue. So the name at the moment is referring to the color scheme.

I said, in my thread, that it's not too horribly related to WoW. I might make a small mention on the case for the game or maybe my guild, but that's a small chance.

So yes, the thread is "Project: Unnamed", but it's since acquired the name "Project: Argent Dawn", shortened to "Project: ArgDawn".