PDA

View Full Version : Forum Vocabulary (n stuff)

Zeus
05-11-2005, 07:09 PM
OK, so I am going to sound like a total n00b here but I am relatively new to forums myself. I had a few questions that I wondered about and thought I would put out there. I figure I am probably not the only person who wondered so others may benefit from my posting this.

1. I have seen posts with people only writing the word "bump" in them. Not just in this forum, but others as well. What is the purpose or this?

2. Why is there an affinity for creating names with capital letters in the wrong place? This is something that I have seen often and have come to accept, but still wonder...why??

3. I have noticed that there are a lot of people posting on these sites that seem quite young. For my personal information, is case modding predominantly a young persons "sport"?

4. I have seen some pretty awesome looking case mods on this and other sites, my question is how many of you guys are also avid gamers. I first became interested in modding because I wanted to customize my gaming rig. Not that I am a BIG TIME gamer but I do like to attend local lan parties (hosted by friends and coworkers) It seems that for many people here, gaming is far second to modding. Just curious if this is right or not.

5. where do you guys find time?!?!?! I think my project is considerably less complex than some of the the awesome works of art on this forum, and yet I am finding it very hard to make time to complete it. This may be related to number 3 as it seems some of you guys are pretty young. I assume no spouses or such. But if not, what is your secret?

Anyway, that is all I had for now. :)

The Grendel
05-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Hey, welcome to the site

to answer some of your questions:

1. a *bump* post is used when someone wants to keep the thread at the top of the list among the recently active threads. so they *bump* it up to the top.

2. your guess is as good as mine, a name really depends on the person who created and uses it. some people capitalize various letters to make their name unique. Others add more words. There are various reasons for this.
For example, my name is Grendel, but when i took that name for myself the first thing i did was get a new Hotmail address but "Grendel" was taken so I use "The Grendel" or "The_Grendel".

3. Like most things that don't require being over a certain age Modding and Gaming are done by just about every age group. I'm 24

4. As far as I know, Modding began just the way you have, Lan gamers wanted more than just a beige or black case to lug around to lan parties.
I used to be an avid gamer but time is an issue.

5. yeah time is an issue, I've been trying to start my first real mod for a couple months now, but I haven't got much done so far. If you find out the answer please let me know. ;)

Hope you enjoy the forums.

-Grendel

MrSlacker
05-11-2005, 08:40 PM
1. to "bump" a post is to put it on top of the page, therefore you are bumping it up.

2. some people use capital letters to be more uniqe or 1337 (elite)

3. what is young? i am 15 (gonna be 16 in Sept.) and i do agree there are alot of 12 and 13 year olds online

Zeus
05-11-2005, 08:45 PM
Well considering I am 29 and most of the people I hang out with are mid 20's to mid 30s. That is very young to me. I am just very amazed at the works of art that such young hands are turning out. When I was 15(ish) I would not have even thought such things were possible. Of course at the time I was a band geek and not a computer geek or shop geek so what do I know.

MrSlacker
05-11-2005, 09:00 PM
well i still dont have any ideas for a big. i am still planning to do something in the summer when i have more time. most ideas come from the net. i look at other people's mods and say "hey that would be cool to do with my case" then just use that person's idea and make something of your own.

Zeus
05-11-2005, 09:04 PM
I feel old all of a sudden

cygnus_x_1
05-11-2005, 09:29 PM
I feel old all of a sudden

pFfFtTTt... :p

you feel old??? hows 34, married and 4 kids... :eek: i feel like im 80 already

have ZERO time left to game and/or mod. but still surf religiously, and i am trying to get my but back to writing reviews again... :rolleyes:

but it looks like all of you initial questions were answered. as far as the capitial letter thing, i am pretty sure it started w/ the hacking community using diff acsii charactures for their screen names to show their 'prowess'
i guess the wannabes couldnt figure out how to do it, and just started sticking capital letters in trying to mimic it...w00t! i am teh sEx!!!!111one!!1!11oneone

Zeus
05-11-2005, 09:58 PM
well, im am not too far behind. I will be 30 in less than a year, I just got married, and we are planning to start a family in a year\ or so.

The Grendel
05-12-2005, 10:08 AM
Almost married last year, no kids in the picture yet....

-Grendel

Malatory
05-12-2005, 10:22 AM
pFfFtTTt... :p

you feel old??? hows 34, married and 4 kids... :eek: i feel like im 80 already

have ZERO time left to game and/or mod. but still surf religiously, and i am trying to get my but back to writing reviews again... :rolleyes:

but it looks like all of you initial questions were answered. as far as the capitial letter thing, i am pretty sure it started w/ the hacking community using diff acsii charactures for their screen names to show their 'prowess'
i guess the wannabes couldnt figure out how to do it, and just started sticking capital letters in trying to mimic it...w00t! i am teh sEx!!!!111one!!1!11oneone

4 kids ... someone need to be fixed and quickly :D

I am 38, 2 kids 1 Divorce, nice Young woman in my life.

BUMP is used to get the message back in the "new post" search on forums (As said already).

Modding for Youngsters. I seen people from being old Like Grump (Looks around for him) to those that are 12. Some people act more like kids on the forums, because you very seldom meet face to face (unless your at one of the large Lans).

Modding is done because we dont want the same looking case as what the store sells, for the most part. Gaming is not a big thing for me as I spend 90% of my time on one of the slowest machines in my house P3 800 512Megs of ram. 60 gigs of storage. where as my game machine is a AMD 64 3500+ 2 gigs of ram (Upgraded about 2 weeks ago) SLI Video cards 6600gt not 6800gt, money is limited not unlimited in my house :D. But I do also have 2 RS/6000 C10 Server and a SGI workstation as well. I am a Unix Programmer by day and would be Linux only at home if game support was better. I tend to go to friends at least 1 time each month to play some RTS game.

Time .. it is sparce but if you come home and work 30min to 1hour every other day you can get a coat of paint or it sanded during that time. It also comes down to not rushing things. work on one piece and find a stopping point. My Advantage might be that I am up at 4am and home from work my 2:30pm and then heading to bed around 10pm. that is also as long as I am not paged for work when I am off as well. It gives to 2-3 hours with the kids and 1-2 hours of quite time with the other half. its like anything .. you can have the time if you set it aside.

Dante
05-12-2005, 10:35 AM
I think people are alot older around here than most of us think...I am 37 :eek: . I think the average demographic for the site is 27 to 40 :eek: or something like that...correct me if I am wrong Terry. I know we talked about it a couple weeks ago.

cygnus_x_1
05-12-2005, 12:03 PM
i was going to get fixed after #3 (set of twin 18 yr olds, 6 yr old and 3 yr old...all boys) but i kept 'putting it off'... :D so when my las son was born the doctor closed shop on my wife instead... ;)

its good to see a bunch of old fogies still putting along on this site...ive been trying to get paul to do lunch, so if anyone else is local to midtown during the week, lets get something going...

DickNervous
05-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Well, I am 36, gonna be 37 in Oct. Been married 12 years and have 1 kid (3.5 yr old son) and a dog. No time to mod lately, but hoping to change that soon. I have been modding for about 4 years now.

So while there are alot of young kids doing this stuff, I think there are more older folks then you would beleive. It is just that the kids are the ones who sound off in the forums more. :D

Malatory
05-12-2005, 01:58 PM
So while there are alot of young kids doing this stuff, I think there are more older folks then you would beleive. It is just that the kids are the ones who sound off in the forums more. :D

Or the olders one are acting like kids :eek:

cygnus_x_1
05-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Or the olders one are acting like kids :eek:
shhhh...dont give us away... 8)

FX
05-12-2005, 02:41 PM
The average demographics (age range) for computer modders in general is between 29 and 35, however there is a large number in the 21 to 29 range as well.

The audience for modding is larger by far, but what's happening is that the major age range is expanding as more and more people get involved and start testing their personal limits.

It's "Hot Rods" for geeks, and like in the 50's and 60's, once people are old enough to make that extra money and get access to parts, they're picking up a rotary tool, some paint and jumping right in.

Just take a look at any case gallery, and you'll see it's people 13 to 35+ that are putting together some really sweet creations, men and women alike.

cygnus_x_1
05-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Love the "Hot Rods for Geeks" analogy... :D

I was big into cars when i was younger (69 fastback stang, 68 camaro) then after i got married the $$$ dried up for toys...i started with pc's and was lucky enough to write reviews for a few sites and that kept my addiction pretty much fufilled. ended up getting burnt out on the last site 2 yrs ago, and ran away like a little girl (no offense to the women on the site :D ) from pc's and modding. started drifting and building 240's. now i am trying to balance family, work, drifting and pc's...its def not an easy thing...but im finally haveing a blast again so i am truly enjoying this time.

Zeus
05-12-2005, 04:39 PM
OK, now I don't feel so old anymore. No I feel a lot more at home. Whew!! I was worried that I was becoming one of those lamers who hangs out and is friends with a bunch of kids. ;) Well, maybe not lamers. I have actually met some young 'uns who seemed wiser and more mature than a lot of the older people I know. For me it was mainly a curiousity about who I was talking to on this forum. Is anyone here from the Phoenix, AZ area?

Crimson Sky
05-12-2005, 08:40 PM
OK, now I don't feel so old anymore. No I feel a lot more at home. Whew!! Is anyone here from the Phoenix, AZ area?

Geeze...now ya want a date? ;) J/k as usual

MrSlacker
05-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Geeze...now ya want a date? ;) J/k as usual
LOL. nice one Paul

cygnus_x_1
05-12-2005, 09:05 PM
whats yer sign??? :D

FX
05-12-2005, 09:38 PM
"Firing Range Open"

Zeus
05-12-2005, 10:10 PM
"Firing range now CLOSED"

Zeus
05-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Geeze...now ya want a date? ;) J/k as usualBTW, I was asking because my friends and I tend to have LAN parties about one a month (roughly) and I thought it would be nice to invite the locals. Not that non-locals would be turned away that is.

Anyway, speaking of older people acting like young people ;)