PDA

View Full Version : Crashing Problem

Weezer
10-29-2006, 08:37 PM
When I try and play Silkroad Online or Call of Duty 2 my whole PC freezes and I have to completely power down. I play Star Wars Battlefront 2 and Counter Strike Source, America's Amry all the time an never have this problem.

My Specs:
AMD 64 x 2 4200+
1 gig dual channel ram
ATI 512mb GPU
300 gig hard drive
Soundblaster sound card
450 watt PSU (came with case)

I've updated drivers and done everything I can think of. I tried setting different core affinities but those 2 games still crash. Any ideas?

Zephik
10-30-2006, 02:06 AM
Check your gpu settings, make sure your running at full speed on agp or pci e, whichever you have. I heard of some problems with that with a few of my friends.. I guess they were running at 4x agp instead of 8x?? Or something like that. Try reinstalling the games, or your video software, or try and take out your gpu and put it back in... it might be loose?? I've had some problems like this before... but I just gave up so I never figured it out.

You can also try googling "Computer freezes when playing games" or something like that. You might find an answer on a different forum if not one of the ones I listed above.

I'll keep looking for a answer for you, since I know how annoying this type of error can be. Keep us posted so we know if you fixed it or not k? ^^

Hope I helped at least a little! Good luck!

-SF

Also, sorry for the bad grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. I just got back from a family reunion and I feel like the living dead. o.O

simon275
10-30-2006, 03:24 AM
Apparently Call of Duty doesn't play well with ATI cards due to the way the game engine is optimized. This mainly effects older cards though of the 9XXX series.

The best thing to do is make sure your drivers for your card are updated.
http://ati.amd.com/

Sorry I can't help anymore. A lot of people have been reporting this else where on the net.

Airbozo
10-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Apparently Call of Duty doesn't play well with ATI cards due to the way the game engine is optimized. This mainly effects older cards though of the 9XXX series.

The best thing to do is make sure your drivers for your card are updated.
http://ati.amd.com/

Sorry I can't help anymore. A lot of people have been reporting this else where on the net.

Never had an issue with COD with my old or current ati card (old:9700 pro, new: x850xt). That said, you MUST make sure to completely uninstall your old ati drivers, reboot, then install the new ones. If this procedure is not followed some bits do not get removed properly and hence the new bits will not get loaded right. Also check the agp aperature size (if it is an agp card) it should be set to at least 128, higher if your mobo supports it. and as SnowFire mentioned, check that the card is running at 8x agp (again only if it is an agp card)

monoflap
10-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Even if its not the problem, I would definatley replace that psu of yours. 450 watts is wimpy for that kind or hardware, especially a 512 mb graphics card. Moreover, the fact that it came with your case worries me even more.:eek: You see, if you run a psu near max, especially a low grade one, its life span will be short. I once had a 350 watt that came with my case and im running a wimpy 2800+ socket A processor, it died after 2 years. If you have been experiencing these problems as of late, I would consider a new psu as a first order of buisness. I would recommned 500 watts and up.

Weezer
10-31-2006, 10:09 PM
Alright thanks guys, I'll try those ideas.

My GPU is PCI-express

All the hardware is new so it wouldnt be old drivers in the way.

Since Im too young for a job the PSU will wait until Christmas.

Thanks again- Weez