PDA

View Full Version : The Workshop

DaveW
11-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Construction has Started on my workshop. I'll keep you posted on how it looks, what i put in there, and what i do in there as it's getting built and used.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/davew/workshop/1.jpg

-Dave

tybrenis
11-03-2006, 04:13 PM
NIIIIIIIIICE!!!!

I have always wanted my own little workshop like that. Good luck with it! Do you have any designs for it? Is it going to be a specialized shop to any extent, like plastics, metal, wood, etc.?

Zephik
11-03-2006, 06:18 PM
WOW!

That is really cool dave! When do you think it will be finished?? It looks like something was there before you started building? Was it just a deck or something?

Looks pretty cool! Cant wait to see it all done ^^

-SF

CanaBalistic
11-03-2006, 07:31 PM
You realize that wont pass inspection right? You've got no header over the doorway and no spline in the center of the roof. And if you plan to have a half roof (looks that way) you'll need to make a footing for a verticle beam because you cant just toe nail support beams to the deck. Saftey first right? We wouldnt want you to kill yourself, who would keep the forums free from spam and flamers.

You should really dig a small trench around the base of that deck aswell so it doesnt rot away in a few years.

Zephik
11-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Hey then you could put some aligators and other beasts in the trench! :D

-SF

simon275
11-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Nice I wish I had a computer modding shed. I just take up half the house instead. :p

I hope you build a special painting room with a extractor fan and while walls that are painted with the special paint so that anything painted over it can be removed with a damp cloth.

Ronyx
11-04-2006, 08:55 AM
lookin sweet, got any plans for some upcoming projects to work on in there or is it all spontaneous still =P keeping us in suspence =]

DaveW
11-05-2006, 10:40 AM
You realize that wont pass inspection right?

Chill out guys. This is only a day's work. You can't even see where the doors are going to be yet. It should be finished in a few weeks, but it's going to be used to store wood for a while before i get in to use it for my own crap.

got any plans for some upcoming projects to work on in there

Hell yeah i do, but it all depends on time! Right now i havn't got the time for anything.

Anyway, i'll post a few progress pics next week.

-Dave

Crimson Sky
11-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Scots and Aussies take their sheds very seriously, and put a lot of hard work and pride into it--often times its a place to escape from wife, family, etc. On occassion escape from the law =)

DaveW
11-05-2006, 02:29 PM
^^ lol...got it in a nutshell!

-Dave

simon275
11-05-2006, 06:40 PM
When I get a house (In like 10 years time) I am buyin a shed. Crimson is right sheds are a way of life. I am gonna put a bar fridge in mine when I get one :)

Zephik
11-05-2006, 07:33 PM
I have three sheds, an empty garage, and soon I will have a multi-level 60' by 60' shop. Maybe my family has a bit o scottish or aussie in them? lol

Actually we have finnish in us... I even know a bit of the language ^^. But I think the finnish are more famous for their sauna's. Which in america we pronounce wrong just like so many other things cuz we are tards. lol

The funny thing is though... with all of that we still stack and store our wood inbetween trees and throw huge blue tarps over them! Argh.... I remember stacking all of that... I swear the guy who cut our wood needs to not ever cut wood again. He did a horrible job! I think I have like 7 different shapes of wood in there! :dead:

Looking forward to those progress pics next week dave! Just be careful! Slow and easy wins the race. ^^

-SF

simon275
11-05-2006, 09:18 PM
I have a friend who is half Finnish.

soon I will have a multi-level 60' by 60' shop.

You gonna run a business of some kind?

Crimson Sky
11-05-2006, 10:24 PM

you mean he's almost done?

hahahah. kill me.

TheMovement4
11-05-2006, 10:25 PM
ahaha

simon275
11-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Lol :rolleyes:

Two N's mate two n's

Airbozo
11-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Well on the topic of sheds. I have 4 sheds in my back yard. One is a small one for the dogs (Beej and Eddie). Holds both of their dogloo's and room for food and a place to lay down. One for my Blue and Gold Macaw (Oscar), he need his space (and we need our space too), built with 2 walls made from .625 stainless steel mesh (more to keep any vermin out). I also have a shed that was on the property when we bought our house. Probably like 50-60 years old (and it shows). This is where I store most of the wood and supplies for various house/yard related chores and where my kegerator lives, keeping that keg of Blackthorne chilled. I also built another shed to store my motorcycle and car related tools and supplies. It also stores most of my computer parts and tools. This last shed was built entirely out of redwood from trees that were felled on my property and milled and planed on site. It is a beauty!

nil8
11-06-2006, 02:37 PM
The funny thing is though... with all of that we still stack and store our wood inbetween trees and throw huge blue tarps over them! Argh.... I remember stacking all of that... I swear the guy who cut our wood needs to not ever cut wood again. He did a horrible job! I think I have like 7 different shapes of wood in there!

In the US people stack wood outside of buildings because of brown recluse infestation. Brown recluses LOVE wood piles and most people don't want to give them a nesting ground in their buildings.

As for the person that split the wood he probably did it with a hydraulic wood splitter and not by hand. I don't know many people who use a maul these days besides me.

I love splitting firewood. I've done it every winter for 8 years now for 2 families with wood furnaces. About an hour a day starting next week until early spring.

I have a shed in my backyard. It is small and holds my lawn maintence equipment. The compost heap is near it.

GT40_GearHead
11-06-2006, 04:49 PM
I love splitting firewood.

nile8, your a manly man:banana: ,

i also do it, in winter, thats how we heat our ass's, using wood furnaces

it feels awesome when you just went trough 4 tons of wood in a day

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Airbozo
11-06-2006, 06:15 PM
I use mainly a pellet stove for heating. No splitting and very LITTLE pollution. The only visible pollution/smoke that is emmitted is when it first starts up. Once it is running you never see smoke coming out of the stack. Clean (reletively) and functional.

The info about the spiders is true, although in my area we get so much rain that you need to keep it in a shed or something. The blue tarp barely keeps it dry enough.

Little sideline: Where I live we have a different name for those blue tarps. We call them "Boulder Creek roofs". Yes I live in a mountain town that gets more rain on average than seattle. Second year I lived here we got something like 130" of rain from october to may. Hell that year i think the wettest storm we got dumped ~30" of rain in 3 days. at one point it was coming down at a rate of an inch an hour. I have only seen that much rain in Scotland.

DaveW
11-06-2006, 06:24 PM
I have only seen that much rain in Scotland.

We've had a pretty dry year this year. Must be climate change.

-Dave

GT40_GearHead
11-06-2006, 06:47 PM
I use mainly a pellet stove for heating
well that is a neat way to heat your house but it is a bit complex, isn't it,

i just have to throw the fire wood in, and close the door, as for the smoke it does make i light white smoke until it gets hot, after that.... nice and clean

<edit> talk about climate change, two days ago we had a bit of a snowfall

Airbozo
11-06-2006, 08:24 PM
well that is a neat way to heat your house but it is a bit complex, isn't it,

i just have to throw the fire wood in, and close the door, as for the smoke it does make i light white smoke until it gets hot, after that.... nice and clean

<edit> talk about climate change, two days ago we had a bit of a snowfall

Not hard at all. I just buy a bag of pellets and dump them in the pellet stove, push a button and the thing starts up (my in-laws pellet stove is thermostat controlled). The pellets are made from the waste of the lumber mill. They take all the sawdust, dry it out, add a miniscule amount of wax (less than .1%) and press it into pellets. Stuff burns hot and clean. Our pellet stove got something like an 85-90% effecincy rating and the newer ones are getting 90-95%.

The process:
http://www.energex.com/common/images/process_large.jpg

Our stove (similar to this one):
http://www.avalonstoves.com/product.asp?dept_id=7&sku=56

Back to the topic:

Dave are you putting in a different floor in that shed? How tall is it? What kind of wood is the deck made from? Are you allowed to use treated wood in the UK? (they are heavily restricting it's use in california due to the arsenic content, but they do have a "green" alternative).

Zephik
11-06-2006, 11:59 PM

You gonna run a business of some kind?

I have a friend who is full finnish :D

ha ha.. no... actually... I think its just in spite of my brothers wifes father... who tends to have alot of neat things that we like... lol so we're getting back at him ^^

We need it too... lol We wouldnt spend that much money without actually needing it ^^

In the US people stack wood outside of buildings because of brown recluse infestation. Brown recluses LOVE wood piles and most people don't want to give them a nesting ground in their buildings.

As for the person that split the wood he probably did it with a hydraulic wood splitter and not by hand. I don't know many people who use a maul these days besides me.

I love splitting firewood. I've done it every winter for 8 years now for 2 families with wood furnaces. About an hour a day starting next week until early spring.

I have a shed in my backyard. It is small and holds my lawn maintence equipment. The compost heap is near it.

Ah... I bet that is it. Brown recluse... grrr...

hmm... well he was kind of old... lol so that is a pretty valid option. He built everything here... the full 4k sq ft log home, all the sheds, he did the road, he was insane I think. lol

I use mainly a pellet stove for heating. No splitting and very LITTLE pollution. The only visible pollution/smoke that is emmitted is when it first starts up. Once it is running you never see smoke coming out of the stack. Clean (reletively) and functional.

The info about the spiders is true, although in my area we get so much rain that you need to keep it in a shed or something. The blue tarp barely keeps it dry enough.

Little sideline: Where I live we have a different name for those blue tarps. We call them "Boulder Creek roofs". Yes I live in a mountain town that gets more rain on average than seattle. Second year I lived here we got something like 130" of rain from october to may. Hell that year i think the wettest storm we got dumped ~30" of rain in 3 days. at one point it was coming down at a rate of an inch an hour. I have only seen that much rain in Scotland.

Ha ha... we actually use alot of pellets too. I really dont know why we have all that wood.... I think it might of came free with the house? lol

That is alot of rain. lol I live on a mountain and I get like close to none lately...

-SF

nil8
11-07-2006, 03:19 AM
Nothing wrong with spiders, even the poisonous ones. They do useful things like kill bugs. Spiders get a bad rap.

That is a lot of rain. That's rainforest conditions.

Modern wood furnaces don't pollute as much as older ones. Filters for the creosote, which makes the smoke less damaging. Requires more maintence, but makes cleaning easier. Causes less exhaust fires too.

Splitting wood is becoming somewhat of a lost art. It's quiet, cold, hard work. That's why I love it. No one bothers you when you're splitting because they don't want to be in the 30F(-1C) weather swinging at blocks of frozen wood. Gives you time to think and enjoy the world in peace, without distraction.
I use an 8lb maul on the end of a 36" hickory handle. I have a 6 inch and 4 inch wedge. I love to split wood. Cutting down the tree is an entirely different matter.

Planning on insulating or running electricity to the shack Dave?

DaveW
11-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Planning on insulating or running electricity to the shack Dave?

Hell yes, it's going to be a fully blown workshop. I might even install a painting corner like MDCS has. Tybrennis, you built one, didn't you? You ever fix it, or am i thinking of someone else?

I'm even thinking about trying to build a computerised router. Security's a big issue, so we're working on ways to make it hard to break into at the moment.

-Dave

nil8
11-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Bars over the windows, 2 deadbolts and a solid wood door should do it.

DaveW
11-07-2006, 03:22 PM
It's not going to have any windows, just massive doors that open all the way and plenty of lighting.

-Dave

ajmilton
11-07-2006, 03:42 PM
pfft. go all the way. remote-disabled electrodes on the door knob, large, scary looking metal objects hanging above the door, looking like they're about to fall (i think a fridge would be a nice touch :D)

oh yeah. and a large dog. or at least, a motion-sensor detector to play an audio recording of one. with a good subwoofer to make it feel like you've got a huge beast inside there.

>that< is security. :P

jdbnsn
11-07-2006, 05:08 PM
You can keep a wild dingo hungry and high on angel dust locked up in there. (just kidding by the way, I have never advocated dogs using drugs). By Dad built his own shop and set up a nice alarm system using two motion activated flood lights with the bulbs removed. He mounted them inside to cover the only entrance and the main floor and wired them to a simple circuit which when triggered sounded an external siren (pulled from an old car alarm) as well as a buzzer mounted in his bedroom (right next to his boomstick). He mounted two kill swtches, one in the house to turn on the alarm when he goes in for the night, and the other using a breaker switch hidden within the shop. He also mounted motion activated flood lights on a separate circuit with lights on all 4 sides of the building as a deterrent (no siren, just lights up the area). So if someone bypasses the floodlights (or ignores them knowing you are out of town) and walks in the fron door, the motion sensors trigger both the outdoor siren (very loud) and the buzzer in his room. Works pretty damn well and you can build it for very cheap in comparison to retail security systems. Only thing it won't do is call the police, but really, who wants the police around when you are running through your yard in your boxers firing your double barreled 12 gauge boomstick?

DaveW
11-07-2006, 05:20 PM
who wants the police around when you are running through your yard in your boxers firing your double barreled 12 gauge boomstick?

I know exactly what you mean!

-Dave

tybrenis
11-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Yeah, I built a paintbooth, Dave.

Here she is, without the filter:

http://powerpackedpc.com/images/cirque_case/web_pics/DSC00882.jpg

I am also building a computerized router. I figure it should be finished by next month, it's been in planning for a secretive year and I started construction in August. I'll let you guys in on it when it's done.

DaveW
11-08-2006, 07:50 AM
Yo tha man, Ty!

Seriously, let me know how work on the router goes. You can always send me the plans ;)

-Dave

Zephik
11-08-2006, 08:06 AM
Bars over the windows, 2 deadbolts and a solid wood door should do it.

Hey that sounds like my lake home! lol

But we aren't worried about theft since at the moment it is empty as can be. We are only worried about those damned raccoons!

...cute lil terrorist. Thats all they are. lol

Only thing it won't do is call the police, but really, who wants the police around when you are running through your yard in your boxers firing your double barreled 12 gauge boomstick?

LMAO

Boomstick ^^

http://powerpackedpc.com/images/cirque_case/web_pics/DSC00882.jpg

Nice :up:

What kind of airbrush is that?

you should have that paper on the bottom on like a roller or something... that way you can roll the dirty paper away with a simple twist of the wrist! :p

Is this something like what you are going for in the future dave?

I don't remember if you mentioned this but how big is this thing going to be? Multi room or just one with multi purpose's?

You should put some sky lights in the roof with some bars over the tops. Gotta love that natural light!

-SF

tybrenis
11-08-2006, 04:59 PM
My plans are mostly up in my head, my drawings are very basic and were for visualization's sake. If you want them still, I'll send you the ghetto sketchup files.

My airbrush is a Paasche VLS dual action airbrush. That's a good idea with the roll of paper, SF. I'll try and insitute that. Not shown in that picture is my spinning table - I made a little circular stand that I put my subjects onto. That way I just spin the stand to rotate them.

GT40_GearHead
11-08-2006, 05:29 PM
a bit oftopic but....

tyb how is the CNC coming along

tybrenis
11-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Quite well, actually. The couplings are finally getting done, the controller is done, and all of the parts are purchased. Realistically, I just have to finish the couplings, then assemble the whole thing.

DaveW
11-08-2006, 07:17 PM
I tell you this, if i had to be stranded on a desert island with anyone from these forums, i'd want you Tybrennis- a couple of coconuts, some twigs, and BAM, we got a hot tub! Now all we need is chicks to put in it!

Maybe we can do something with those piles of leaves, or that mysterious floating black cloud? (Lost joke)

-Dave

simon275
11-08-2006, 07:52 PM
I tell you this, if i had to be stranded on a desert island with anyone from these forums, i'd want you Tybrennis- a couple of coconuts, some twigs, and BAM, we got a hot tub! Now all we need is chicks to put in it!

Maybe we can do something with those piles of leaves, or that mysterious floating black cloud? (Lost joke)

-Dave

I wound't want to be stranded with any on you. I would want to be stranded with a sat phone with extra batteries. And then hopefully I can chat up the hot female doctor in the resuce helicopter. Well this has got off topic.

I just paint any thing in the car port. Lots of ventailation and it doesn't matter if you get paint on the concrete or the weeds.

DaveW
11-08-2006, 07:55 PM
I wound't want to be stranded with any on you. I would want to be stranded with a sat phone with extra batteries.

While you're phoning for help, we'll be on the next island.
The next tropical island.
In the hot tubs.
with the chicks.

-Dave

tybrenis
11-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Ha, thanks Dave. Did I tell you my budget is about 200 USD?

My cutting size will be about 36" x 35" x 10"

Airbozo
11-08-2006, 08:23 PM

-Dave

Hehe I see where you are going with this. I got the skills to turn those coconuts into some tasty alcoholic elixer... Hot tub, chicks, drinks.... Who needs a rescue copter?

Maybe Ty needs a new moniker: The Professor! (but who gets to be Mary Ann?)

simon275
11-09-2006, 12:49 AM
It will be an army helicopter with hellfire missiles and the good doctor and I will rain firey death upon your hot tub....... And then we fly off into the sunset.

Dave put up some more pics of your workshop before some nut job :rolleyes: takes this any futher

DaveW
11-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Updates. Lots of progress for a week.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/davew/shed2.JPG

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/davew/shed3.JPG

-Dave

tybrenis
11-12-2006, 07:39 PM
Wow, coming along nicely! How much is this going to cost, if you don't mind me asking? I hope to build one some day.

jdbnsn
11-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Looks cool! Where ya gonna put the hot-tub?

And don't forget to fortify against the English!

DaveW
11-12-2006, 08:55 PM
How much is this going to cost, if you don't mind me asking?

Don't know, and don't want to find out! I persuaded my folks that the only way to get me out the cellar was to build me one of these. As the carpenters were putting in decking anyway, they're doing this fairly cheap. It's 2 guys Called Andy and Steve who really just love what they do. I think they're charging something like &#163;500 + Materials, and his overheads are huge, so they're not making a lot of money out of this. Although my mother was hinting that they wanted a website built...

And don't forget to fortify against the English!

Naw, naw, ya got it the wrong way round. They fortify against us.

-Dave

jdbnsn
11-12-2006, 08:57 PM

There's that Scottish warrior's spirit! Give'm hell! (I am part Scottish)

tybrenis
11-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Lol, I'm part scottish too.... on a random note.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea Dave... my parents hate my messes - I've taken over most the garage and half the basement with my paintbooth, CNC machine, computers, servers, etc.

GT40_GearHead
11-13-2006, 05:15 AM
damn that was fast, dude...... o.O

gaz_the_chav
11-13-2006, 09:29 AM
-Dave

Yeh Cheers Dave I know what site I'm never posting on again.

Only joking lol us english folk arent to bad (mind you I'm Welsh - duh! (Just live in England!))

Hang on, have I just completely excluded myself from this conversation?!

Oh well nevermind

-gaz

DaveW
11-13-2006, 09:46 AM
I'm kidding man. :)

Either way...Hadrian's Wall...we're still one of the only countries in the world that the Romans thought were more trouble than we were worth! They thought it was easier to build a wall across Britain to keep us out of England!

-Dave

gaz_the_chav
11-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Lol to true and the Scotish are still to hard to handle! lol

-gaz

GT40_GearHead
11-20-2006, 04:25 PM
any news dave?

some new pics ?

DaveW
11-21-2006, 07:09 AM
Well, it's pretty much done, but i've been too busy to post proper pics. It needs electrics and paint to complete the job. Gaz, you'll know what the weather's been like up here recently, so i guess this is a sort of 'stress test'.

I'll get pics as soon as i can.

-Dave

gaz_the_chav
11-21-2006, 07:51 AM
Gaz, you'll know what the weather's been like up here recently, so i guess this is a sort of 'stress test'.
-Dave

Well the letters that spring to mind are S and then a H then a I then a T. What does it spell? HITS!

Does that describe it well enough?

-gaz

DaveW
11-21-2006, 09:26 AM
Well it seems to have survived...need to double check it for flood damage.

Probably shouldn't have put my compressor in there quite yet.

-Dave

gaz_the_chav
11-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Lol I'm sure that it'll be alright! Where I am in the UK (south east) it is absolutly freezing!

-gaz

GT40_GearHead
12-12-2006, 05:24 PM
so.... is everything ok dave, any damage

ps: hope you didn't forget the pics

DaveW
12-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Sorry i never finished this thread folks, i took ill for a long time and never got around to taking the pictures. Anyway, i'll get some pics up here at some point, but i can't make any promises as to when, cos my life's a roller coaster at the moment.

-Dave

tybrenis
12-12-2006, 10:31 PM
...and never got around to taking the pictures.

... Ya bring me down, Dave. You really do.

First, you build a sweet workshop. Then, you leave us for a month and tell us about all the trauma it's gone through, then tell us it's fine. And no pics. ... ya bring me down.

GT40_GearHead
12-13-2006, 07:12 AM
we Want Pics !

DaveW
12-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Lol...ok. I'll take some when i get home and post them. It's wet and the pics will suck, but i'll do it for you guys.

-Dave

GT40_GearHead
12-13-2006, 01:40 PM
will start a riot in here if you dont bring us pics
you have been warned, Dave!

:D

Zephik
12-13-2006, 08:45 PM
lol

Sounds like trouble is a foot! Could this be the downfall of Dave the great? ;)

I'm suddenly reminded of a song from ?Three Days Grace? called "Riot".

"Lets start a riot!"

Actually if we were to do that, we would all be on a quick vacation most likely. lol Bah, its cold anyways, maybe he'll send us to Hawaii? :D

will start a riot in here if you dont bring us pics
you have been warned, Dave!

we Want Pics !

... Ya bring me down, Dave. You really do.

First, you build a sweet workshop. Then, you leave us for a month and tell us about all the trauma it's gone through, then tell us it's fine. And no pics. ... ya bring me down.

^^ What they said ^^ :p

-SnowFire

DaveW
12-14-2006, 02:34 PM
Sorry guys, i've been wrapped up in work at Uni and by the time i get home, it's dark! I leave too early to take the pics in the morning as well!

I'm finishing Uni at about say 12:00 tommorow, so i can probably get home and get a pic pretty fast (assuming i remember.)

At the minute we're getting roughly 6-7 hours of daylight here, with the sun coming up at about 10 and having set by around 4-5. But i'll do my best.

-Dave

Airbozo
12-14-2006, 02:59 PM
At the minute we're getting roughly 6-7 hours of daylight here, with the sun coming up at about 10 and having set by around 4-5. But i'll do my best.

-Dave

Damn and I thought It was bad here. Up by 10?!?! Time for one of those sun deprivation visors...

http://www.lifewithease.com/visor.html

DaveW
12-14-2006, 03:10 PM
The 'Winter Blues' is actually a very acute problem in Scotland. We put a lot of research into fighting it, but to be frank, no Scotsman will ever be seen dead in something like that. :D

-Dave

Airbozo
12-14-2006, 03:26 PM
The 'Winter Blues' is actually a very acute problem in Scotland. We put a lot of research into fighting it, but to be frank, no Scotsman will ever be seen dead in something like that. :D

-Dave

Hehe I understand. I have a close friend that suffers from the same thing and it took him 10 years to figure it out. His wife bought him a similar visor and all of his buds (me included), rip on him when he wears it. Now he only wears it when he is at home working on his computer. Our bad... We found out he is a better person when he hears his "visor".

P.S. just scheduled our trip to London for a wedding in July and decided to spend the rest of the time in Scottland.

DaveW
12-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Hey, if you feel like meeting up, i'll buy you a drink in Glasgow. Just let me know when you're local. :)

-Dave

nil8
12-14-2006, 09:51 PM
There are a couple of cures for the winter blues or cabin fever or whatever you want to call it.

The one I've found is to reserve about half an hour to an hour a day to just relax outdoors. Wrap up and go enjoy something outside. It's really quiet and peaceful during winter and I've found a profound joy in reading outdoors during winter.

Spend more time with people. One of the best way to raise spirits. Doesn't need explanation.

Spend your downtime doing what you enjoy. If it's dark outside and you're stuck indoors, spend that extra time doing something you want indoors. Learn a new hobby, read a book, exercise, cook, play an instrument. Whatever.

Solitude provides a lot of freedom from others, but at a price. There's no one to converse with and possibly keep you sane. Over thinking without judging your wandering mind can have psychotic repercussions in the worst cases.
I guess it's about mental stability really.

Bad ideas: Drinking alcohol, overeating, excessive sleeping. Sounds like the holidays are in the wrong months for the northern hemisphere.

That visor really is horrible.

Don't worry, the winter solstice is only a couple of weeks away. Before you know it days will be getting longer again.
Why does the sunrise so late?

slytherock
12-14-2006, 11:02 PM
There are a couple of cures for the winter blues or cabin fever or whatever you want to call it.

Posting Pics help too!!! :) :banana:

Zephik
12-15-2006, 03:35 AM

The one I've found is to reserve about half an hour to an hour a day to just relax outdoors. Wrap up and go enjoy something outside. It's really quiet and peaceful during winter and I've found a profound joy in reading outdoors during winter.

Spend more time with people. One of the best way to raise spirits. Doesn't need explanation.

Spend your downtime doing what you enjoy. If it's dark outside and you're stuck indoors, spend that extra time doing something you want indoors. Learn a new hobby, read a book, exercise, cook, play an instrument. Whatever.

Solitude provides a lot of freedom from others, but at a price. There's no one to converse with and possibly keep you sane. Over thinking without judging your wandering mind can have psychotic repercussions in the worst cases.

Bad ideas: Drinking alcohol, overeating, excessive sleeping. Sounds like the holidays are in the wrong months for the northern hemisphere.

That visor really is horrible.

Don't worry, the winter solstice is only a couple of weeks away. Before you know it days will be getting longer again.
Why does the sunrise so late?

Nice write up nil8! I think we should all keep some of these tips in our heads for the rest and future seasons such as these.

Very much true. I've been in partial "solitude" for almost two years now. Even though I see myself as normal and "sane", alot of my friends have stopped calling and trying to make new friends is difficult. I have "changed" I guess you could say. The best advice I can give to a person who is like this or desires "solitude" is this. Even if you don't want to, be as social and out in the world as much as you can be. nil8 said it, it comes at a price, a price that I don't think any human being can afford. Just my opinion though.

Now back to the topic at hand. About what percentage would you say is this completed Dave? Hope everything is coming along nicely and to plan?

The best of luck!

-SnowFire

DaveW
12-15-2006, 09:55 AM
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/davew/workshop/shed.jpg

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/davew/workshop/shed2.jpg

Here you go. I haven't got the keys at the moment so i can't show you the inside. Everything bar the electronics is now finished, and i'm hoping to get out there and use it later in summer. At the moment, it's being used to store wood and tools for the builders.

-Dave

AJ@PR
12-15-2006, 12:07 PM
Dave, that workshop looks super cool!!!

I am positive, people will see light leakage during the wee hours of the night...
That's going to be Dave... moddin' and posting @ TBCS.

Looks good man... I like it. :)
Congrats and Kudos!

Vertigo
12-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Ah, now that's a nice lookin little setup you got there.

DaveW
12-15-2006, 03:02 PM
Special kudos goes out to Andy and Steve, who built that. These guys are the fastest damn carpenters i've ever seen, and y'know, they feel the same way about a piece of wood as we do about an Antec Super-LAN boy. They're great guys, and work late into the dark, cold, Scottish night. We can't really pay them what they deserve, but to be perfectly frank, they don't even seem all that interested in profit. They just love what they do.

Of course, to them, I'm one of these wacky kids who doesn't do a real man's hobby. ;) What do they know, eh?

Anyway, if you leave them some feedback, i'll linky them to this thread.

-Dave

Airbozo
12-15-2006, 06:04 PM
Construction IMHO is another form of art. It takes skill to build anything that will be used for long term shelter. Plus it looks good too! Pass along my kudos for a nice job.

Oh and Carpenters that can use a computer!?! I am really impressed! hehe JK.

Zephik
12-15-2006, 06:21 PM
Wow, that looks really good! Those guys did an excellent job for sure. It's really hard to come by people like that these days. Everybody is looking for a couple bucks, I guess can't blame them though. But I am glad you got some real professionals to do the job, lucky duck!

It might be kind of a girly thing to do, but I always like to bake fresh chocolate chip cookies for people like that. ^^

-SnowFire

simon275
12-15-2006, 10:13 PM

Of course, to them, I'm one of these wacky kids who doesn't do a real man's hobby. ;) What do they know, eh?

-Dave

Modding involves using tools so therefore its a real man's hobby. Enough said.

Oh and nice shed mate. Hopefully it will be a place where a lot of mods are born.

slytherock
12-19-2006, 12:31 PM
That's a nice looking workspace Dave. But I'm surprised: no windows of lights coming form it :)

DaveW
12-19-2006, 03:24 PM
Well i figure when i'm working i can swing open those double doors. It's got Electricity in there (well, it will have anyway) so i can work.

Also, there's going to be a lot of expensive stuff in there, and i don't want people to be able to see in or break in easily.

It's been built to my specifications, and i'm really pleased with the outcome.

-Dave

slytherock
12-19-2006, 05:24 PM
This look very nice so far, I wish I could have something simillar one day. I see that you can work with all doors open, increasing the workspace: good thing!!!

b4i7
12-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Also, there's going to be a lot of expensive stuff in there, and i don't want people to be able to see in or break in easily.
-Dave

thats when you should build yourself some auto turrets 8)

DaveW
12-19-2006, 07:52 PM
thats when you should build yourself some auto turrets

Problem with auto turrets...they tend to shoot automatically. But don't tempt me. I don't live in a nice area, although it's not as bad as most, mainly burglary & vandalism.

-Dave

Airbozo
12-19-2006, 08:15 PM
This might do the trick.;
http://216.140.44.191/highlight1.wmv

I want one of those mounted on my front deck. Hell the sight of the tracers alone would cause a pantload...

DaveW
12-19-2006, 08:20 PM
I want one of those mounted on my front deck. Hell the sight of the tracers alone would cause a pantload...

Hmm...that gives me an idea...i should hook up a cheap laser to a motion sensor, and maybe a gyroscope, so that it turns on and points at things that move during the night...

Then again, every freaking thing moves at night. I'd need a way to dumb it down so it only detects things that are warm or something...plus it would have to be weather-proof...but it's certainly something that might be a fun project to do with my PIC burner! I could put it up the tree...heh heh...

-Dave

Airbozo
12-19-2006, 08:26 PM
I thought I saw something on hack-a-day many moons ago about a "tracking laser". They used a couple of porch light motion sensors (3 i think) to track the target. The sensors are adjustable for different masses. Like the one in my backyard will trigger on my dogs, but not on the skunks or possums or raccoons, anything smaller than a largish dog.

tybrenis
12-19-2006, 08:30 PM
You can always just build one of THESE:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/310367/paintball_minigun/

A paintball mini gun. I can see your contraption now:

(Motion sensor activated, paintball masks flung at intruders) "GRAB THESE MASKS. PUT THEM ON. NOW RUN, BITCH, RUN!"
(Paintball gun activates and shoots at the gun's max capability: 288 balls per second.)

It's non-lethal, painfull, and hilarious!

DaveW
12-19-2006, 09:00 PM
These are great ideas guys, but i'd kind of like to get to and from my shed without getting my ass shot off.

-Dave

b4i7
12-19-2006, 10:22 PM
remote activated?...kinda like a car alarm

Gohan
01-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Nice workshop you have, do you have any inside pics?

GT40_GearHead
01-12-2007, 04:11 AM
These are great ideas guys, but i'd kind of like to get to and from my shed without getting my ass shot off.

-Dave

wheres the fun in that:think: :neutral::(

DaveW
01-12-2007, 09:26 AM
You guys will be seeing a lot more of this come the summer, i hope. The high winds have taken some stuff off the roof, i'll be getting Andy & Steve to fix it later.

All the electronics are in the hall, the lights and power switches and stuff. Need a fusebox, but it's all there. Looking forward to it!

-Dave

Airbozo
01-12-2007, 10:20 PM
... Need a fusebox, ...

-Dave

Is this a terminology/language thing or do you really use fuses and not a breaker?

GT40_GearHead
01-13-2007, 03:45 AM
wich one would be better??
i also use fuses

DaveW
01-13-2007, 06:59 AM
It's just a terminology. It's a box of breaker switches but we still call em fuse boxes in Scotland.

-Dave

Airbozo
01-13-2007, 03:00 PM
OK thats what I thought. I was just curious, because depending on when the house was built and when it was upgraded, some still have fuse boxes. When we remodeled our house, we found the original tube and knob wiring still there, just disconnected.
http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/10327.shtml

I think breakers are safer. Just the technology behind them makes them more sensitive to shorts and stuff. Not 100% sure on that though. In the end I think it depends on what type of circuit you are protecting. I do know they are expensive $165 for a 50amp breaker for the hot tub... It is a GFI breaker though.
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infelectrical/infgfi.shtm#1

http://www.bfs-ind.com/disc/disc202.htm

Bucko
01-28-2007, 05:58 AM
Nothing like having a good shed!
I've recently had to move for a new job and when I was looking for my current place, the garage was the first priority.
I ended up finding a place with a double garage at a good price and only 10 minutes from work.
Shame I had a 2 1/2 car garage with a store room off it as well at my old place and now have to squeeze it all in here....

Foxtrot9000
02-18-2007, 11:19 AM
OK thats what I thought. I was just curious, because depending on when the house was built and when it was upgraded, some still have fuse boxes. When we remodeled our house, we found the original tube and knob wiring still there, just disconnected.
http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/10327.shtml

I think breakers are safer. Just the technology behind them makes them more sensitive to shorts and stuff. Not 100% sure on that though. In the end I think it depends on what type of circuit you are protecting. I do know they are expensive $165 for a 50amp breaker for the hot tub... It is a GFI breaker though.
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infelectrical/infgfi.shtm#1

http://www.bfs-ind.com/disc/disc202.htm

breakers are just more convenient, not safer. the thing about fuses is that there is no way they can fail at all. they work on the basis of if to high an amperage is running through it (during a short) the metal heats up and melts. there is no way a short could be happening and not trip a fuse.
a breaker on the other hand is mechanical. and anything mechanical can fail. i have been on job sites where we have to short out a wire to find what breaker it belongs to. in 3 cases now we have had to short the wire for upwards of 2min! yes, 2 minutes before the breaker would trip. not a good sign.
just my point on the subject. =)

p.s. I'm apprenticing to be an electrician.

GT40_GearHead
02-18-2007, 03:29 PM
2 min!?!?!?

wow, you guys have big balls, i thought that if you get a short and the breaker don't flip, the wires may melt the insulation of them

Foxtrot9000
02-18-2007, 04:43 PM
we usually do it with a spade shovel, of coarse after finally tripping the breaker the shovel and good for nothing.
and yeah it sparks and makes big noise.