PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360

MrSlacker
05-12-2005, 10:50 PM
M$ launched Xbox 360 today. is anyone getting one? i am not getting it because i have xbox collecting dust for a long time. plus i am a cheap ass and dont want to pay $50 for a game. :p

Rachel
05-13-2005, 12:18 AM
Microsoft says Xbox 360 will arrive in North American stores around Thanksgiving. But today they officaly unveiled it. Oh yea, I'm getting one!!! :D It looks nice.....
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050512/050512_xbox_bcol.vlarge.jpg

cygnus_x_1
05-13-2005, 02:44 PM
i have always been dead set against console gaming, but after reading a few articles about the 360 (hardocp's was pretty infomative) i think i want to grab one of these when it comes out. of course ill have to fight my kids for it, but it may be worth it...

jonopaul01
05-13-2005, 03:43 PM
Nope, I am gonna grab the PS3. It is so much more powerful. But then again I am probably not gonna get any of the consoles. I will just save my money and upgrade my PC and do some modding. But It does look nice. But I am already too dependent on Micro$oft to give them any more of my money, (yeah I am one of those wierdos who hates Micro$oft because they are so dependent on it). And also the PS3 will be able to work eith the PSP which should open up some interesting things. But I have to say the XBOX360 looks really Beautiful. It has lost that horrible slopeing top that absoutely nothing balances. Here are some links.

XBOX.com (http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/community/unveiltaping.htm) (warning, this site is really slow right nowwith all the people logging on from all over the world)
Game (http://shop.game.net/xbox360/)
BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4541961.stm)

Frakk
05-13-2005, 03:58 PM
im not gonna get either xbox 360 neither ps3. pc's all the way baby :D

cygnus_x_1
05-13-2005, 04:41 PM
im not gonna get either xbox 360 neither ps3. pc's all the way baby :D

i thought that too forthe longest time, but there was one portion of kyle's preview that rang true for gaming. developers know the parameters when developing for the xbox (and all consols in general) so they can program the games to the 'limit' so to speak without worrying about hardware confilcts and such. they can squeeze evey bit of power out of the hardware to make tha game perform its best. also as of late, there have been many more console games coming out than pc games (and when/if they port them over, they usually suck). hopefully we will see the pc gaoming market pick up some steam soon...

Frakk
05-13-2005, 05:02 PM
i agree with you. 3 cpu's and an r500 gpu is pretty impressive, considering the fact that the all the games will utilize these as much as possible. we're talkling about some serious power and efficiency here. but in the end it will still remain a gaming console and you will have to pay big bucks for the games. a decent pc might cost more and requires more maintance, but then again, an xbox can never replace it. in other words, i rather pay more for a fast computer than a slower computer with an xbox for games :)

MrSlacker
05-13-2005, 06:08 PM
when it hits around $200, i might get it.

X child
05-14-2005, 12:45 AM
Yeah, your probably not going to get one then MrSlacker. From what I've read console gaming is most likely to get more expensive then in the past. Games will start at around $50 with the better titles going for $60 and the console is probably going to be around $350 or $400. Because they can now utilize HD they are uping the price. But until fall we won't know for certain.

MrSlacker
05-14-2005, 11:50 AM
i dont care if i dont get one. in a year after it comes out they will drop in price just like Xbox did.

Zeus
05-15-2005, 09:06 PM
My PS2 has been gathering enough dust to convince me not to buy another console for a while

X child
05-16-2005, 03:27 PM
They always drop the price but I was just saying that it might not get to $200. I'm thinking of getting one but I don't have a lot of time for PC games, modding, and family time. Let alone another gaming system.

Zeus
05-16-2005, 08:37 PM
They always drop the price but I was just saying that it might not get to $200. I'm thinking of getting one but I don't have a lot of time for PC games, modding, and family time. Let alone another gaming system.

AMEN

Whisp
05-16-2005, 08:40 PM
Im a big pc gamer but every once in awhile I like to steal my friends consoles for a few days and play some games.

When it comes to fighting games I dont think I have found a good pc game yet.

I am actually saving up my pennies so I can get a ps2 and play some soul calibre 2 and i think 3 is on the way.

FPS is pc all the way.

Up here in canada I have heard rumours that the ps3 and xbox360 will be running in the 700 dollar range.

But I am the same and wouldnt pay more then 150 cdn for a console new.

as for gaming consoles wiping out pc when it comes to gaming the have said that for years lol and nothing has changed.

public_eyesore
05-17-2005, 11:54 PM
After nintendo and sony's pressconferences today at E3, if the revolution has decent graphics, the xbox 360 is not even a competition.

Xato
05-18-2005, 12:33 AM
I saw links to the new Final Fantasy Engine Tech demo... looks sweet as... realistic water dynamics and large ply counts on screen with no lag... Motion blur in real time.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3140617
the tech demo plays on the right

I specifically recommend the Doctor Octopus Demo, and the Eye Toy Duck demo...
Some awesome faces and fluid dynamics... AND ITS ALL IN REAL TIME!!!

Rachel
05-18-2005, 12:41 AM
I still play with my original Nintendo and Sega Genisis. Duck Hunt Rules!!!!! :D I had a playstation (old big ugly one) but I think it died (Haven't seen it in a while). Sometimes I play my brother's PS2 and my boyfriends Xbox. Since I'll be moving in with my boyfriend in less than a year he's been talking about us getting a PS2 (for me) and an Xbox 360. Hopefully the stupid price drops before then.

Xato
05-18-2005, 12:49 AM
A general Report on E3 at the threedy forums...
http://www.threedy.com/site/forum/showthread.php?t=31163
some links to Quake 4, Final Fantasy, and Dead or Alive pics and vids.

The final fantasy scene looks very impressive for a real time render =D
http://www.threedy.com/site/forum/showthread.php?t=31163

public_eyesore
05-18-2005, 09:29 PM
the xbox 360 is really just a beefed up xbox, that just has more bumpmapping, but nothing spectacular. I heard that there is going to be an "xbox 2" that will compete with the ps3 graphic wise. I really want to see tho what the revolution with bring to the table.

Frakk
05-18-2005, 09:38 PM
xbox 360 is the second xbox(xbox2?). and i think ps3 is going to fall behind the 360 graphics wise. on bit-tech theres an article about it, its gonna have one kickass gpu with a 3.2ghz(i believe) cpu, compared to the xbox's new ati gpu with 3x 3.2ghz cpu's. with multithreaded games utilizing all 3 cores + gpu, there is no way the ps3 is going to be faster than the xbox.

jonopaul01
05-19-2005, 03:51 AM
Well, I don't know. The cell chip looks really amazing. I was around IBM the other day and was able to get a talk (not a one to one) with the guy designing the cell chip and got to see some vids of the power of it. All this stuff can be seen on the internet though. And I think that the PS3 will be using 4 cell chips in conjunction and they will each be able to do things independently and well, I think that this time PS3 will win the Graphics battle. But as we saw last time with XBOX graphics isn't everything. But I suppose that XBOX launching first could push out Sony's dominance of the market. I can't really see Sny going out completely, but then again, If it can happen to Sega it canhappen to anyone.

public_eyesore
05-19-2005, 04:29 PM
The ps3 and i quote "has the graphics power of 2 6800 ultra videocards in sli"

James2113
05-22-2005, 01:09 PM
To all Xbox Fans

You will be very disspointed the way this new and so called improved xbox 360 turned out. After seeing it in action on E3'05 i was not impressed. if Ati had anything to do with this system they should run and hide and hope that everything will blow over. The new Playstation 3 with its Dual processor and slim form took the show by force. let me tell you the graphics whips the hell out of Xbox 360.

Sorry For the bad news

James

Frakk
05-22-2005, 02:18 PM
I heard about the E3 and the crappy xbox games. I bet they didnt show Call of Duty 2, NFS Most Wanted, Ghost Recon 3 and the better ones. I think the battle will come down to the programmers and game developers and not the hardware. They both will be extremely fast its just the matter of how the power is used in graphics. But after all, they will still remain consoles, pretty expensive ones :)

Xato
05-23-2005, 01:06 AM
I think the unreal 3 engine is where its all at games wise... such cutting edge real time graphics, whoever can utilise these types of engines best will win the war.

Xato
05-23-2005, 01:12 AM
I cant see why the xbox would fall back graphically wise... the XENOS onchip 10mb ram would seem to give it the winning edge.

SkaCore
05-24-2005, 08:41 AM
Im gonna wait for the Nintendo! I can put all my sega games on it!

Zeus
05-24-2005, 07:05 PM
personally, I think nintendo is an old fossil geared more for smaller children. I am personally more of a pc gamer. At least now I am. I used to be PS freak big time but now I just like pc games. I am pretty much done with consoles.

ZeD
05-24-2005, 09:25 PM
will those new consoles pklay the older games? for instance will the Ps3 play the older Ps2 and Ps1 games? I bought a PS1 a long long time ago when gran turismo was out because I used to play it at a friends place all the time, so I bought it and the game and then just gave it to another friends little bro. Anyone know if Halo 2 will ever be available on the PC?

MrSlacker
05-24-2005, 09:35 PM
from wat i read, you will NOT be able to play xbox games on xbox360. dunno about Halo 2 on PC

temmink
05-24-2005, 10:23 PM
If anyone else was following e3 on Gamespot (or anywhere else for that matter) the Xbox360 will be backwards compatible with 'top-selling' xbox games. Also the PS3 will be backwards compatible all the way back to the PS1.

IMO consoles are far better at particular types of games, platform/adventure games, I'm trying to describe Devil May Cry, party games like Mario Party, fighting games and some other quirky stuff. However RTS, FPS and I think detailed RPG's are the exclusive domain of the pc.

If any of you have seen the trailer to Killzone II (which you should have if you like games, its at gamespot), or Gears of War (Unreal Engine 3) on the PS3 and Xbox360 respectively it may seem that Console FPS is now an awesome reality.

James2113
05-24-2005, 11:02 PM
The Xeno chip while being cool. but like i said i watched E3'05 on tech tv and let me tell you after seeing the ps3 with the dual graphic cards is awesome. i am sorry but it look like microsoft was such in a hurry to put the xbox 360 together that they just took the parts out of the old xbox and put them in the xbox360 case. i am sorry but i think they have a long way to go before the catch up with the Playstation 3

Sorry xbox fans :mad:

temmink
05-24-2005, 11:48 PM
Whats even more impressive is that the PS3 doesn't actually have dual cards, it just has an Nvidia GPU that is more than twice as powerfull as a 6800gt or whatever the top of the line card is (I'm an ATI man :))

Xato
05-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Most of the games on show were for platforms they had recieved for dev a month before their tech demo's were available.
So they had to rewrite engines, change and utilize graphics engines, produce cutting edge models, textures, lighting, mapping etc and tie it all togethor into their 'PROMOTIONAL' E3 demos, which are as said promotional and intended to grab the target audience.
And while i'm not taking sides on the console war -PC gamer and always will be- i think that both consoles will bring forth their target audience...
XBOX - Those who just cant wait to get a next gen console
PS3 - Those willing to wait for the console which has been thus far deemed better...
Which does sound a lot like the reciprocal of the way it went last time... PS2 first, XBOX newer tech. It seems now that they are evenly spread amongst console gamers.

What i'm most interested in are the techniques they used to render the real time shots of docter octavious... those are some sweet ass renders... ESP. for real time.

Frakk
05-25-2005, 03:53 PM
James2113 dont be so sure that ps3 will be so much better than xbox. while ps3 has a powerfull graphics card, dont forget the xbox's graph card + the 3 x 3.2ghz ibm chips. if they utilize the chips for multiple threads in games for rendering and calculations, it will be pretty damn fast. and as i posted before its not gonna be the hardware that will decide which is better. you can have amazing graphics in games that suck in gameplay and storyline or very good graphics with addictive gameplay and great story line. which one would you go for?

Bmad
05-25-2005, 04:13 PM
All the XboX 360 demo's you saw on the e3 -expo where running on apple g5 :? :? :? see --->http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2420&p=5

qwerty1111
06-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Ive got a site that can give u a free xbox 360 for only 8 refferals. Its fast and easy and there is no risk. There is no scam or spam. plus u can get a free xbox 360 game with it. Ive used this site and ive gotten a free psp and a free 40gig ipod

http://www.xbox3604free.com/default.aspx?r=396912

MrSlacker
06-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Ive got a site that can give u a free xbox 360 for only 8 refferals. Its fast and easy and there is no risk. There is no scam or spam. plus u can get a free xbox 360 game with it. Ive used this site and ive gotten a free psp and a free 40gig ipod

http://www.xbox3604free.com/default.aspx?r=396912
SPAM! BANNN

Zeus
06-08-2005, 07:08 PM
I second the motion

MisterChief
06-08-2005, 08:36 PM
BAN, look at that bacon sizzle!!!

Rachel
06-08-2005, 11:36 PM
Yet again the regulars strike down their iron fists. :) I can agree. Show 'em no mercy!!!

Xato
06-09-2005, 02:37 AM
I think we should post up his IP adress on a hacker site...
I'm joking ofcourse...
Or am I?

public_eyesore
06-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Do it :D

X child
06-19-2005, 04:33 PM
I ordered BF2 today and while I was in GameStop I saw an ad to order XBOX 360. So I asked the guy how much it was going to cost to get one and he said in the $250 to $350 range. I told him I had seen it would be higher than that and he said they had Microsoft reps in every month or so and that's what the Microsoft guys were telling him. So maybe it will only be a little more expensive than the last consoles. Just thought I'd update everyone.

sXenoG
07-15-2005, 04:07 AM
I find it sooo hard to believe these prices.. If they are true Im going to be loving next generation computer gfx cards etc. I mean for the PS3 to have the power of two 6800's which going for about 250$-400$ and still sell the console for the price of 1 gfx card i find that amazing. Anyways I saw the e3 demo on the ps3 and the xbox 360, first off im not a console fan, nor a pc gamer fan but after counter-strike there really is no other game i play, so i will not be buying either console. But in the demos i feel that the PS3 totally crapped on the xbox 360 for teh gfx in the ps3 were far more substantial. But these were demos, and werent actual games THUS i feel they put ALL the power they could into a small arena and made the gfx look far superior. I was very impressed with several of the new techs they were introdcuing i dont remember what they were called and also kno that the techs were available elsewhere these just seemed alot more superior. I liked how the light would shine thru skin that was my fav. And i really loved the world growing demo that was awsome. I was utterly unimpressed with xbox 360 gfx looked like a more bump mapped version of the xbox although they had 1 game i thought looked awsome not sure which.

Anyways sorry for the clearity int hat message im a bit tired and kind of cramming a bunch of thoughts into 1 paragraph so feel free to discard.

MisterChief
07-15-2005, 11:37 PM
You see what they're trying to do? By kicking up the resolution of games and introducing technology not yet availale for a pc at a lower cost, they are targeting PC users and the general masses who will gladly buy an amazing gaming machine for $300. And I believe the reason they are able to get the cost so low on consoles is simple: Licensing. Microsoft and Sony both have their own proprietary designs for their "mainboard" (the Xbox has a motherboard that resembles an old Socket 370 mobo), so they don't have to pay other manufacturers to design or build their parts. They also use rather cheap 3rd party parts for the lower priority parts.

Games, of course, also account for some of the Microsoft/Sony profits, not to mention marketing/PR, Xbox Live Gold or whatever it'll be called, and Microsoft licesned peripherals and the like. I'm no corporate manager, therfore I don't have all the answers, correct or not.

MrSlacker
07-16-2005, 12:51 AM
i also think that they are not making a lot of money form consoles themselvs. games and all that **** is where all the money is

sXenoG
07-16-2005, 05:38 AM
I really have no idea where theyre making the money, but games sound right. The gaming business is making more money then the movie business which shocks be, I dont kno why because I can understand it.

Very true about them making their own boards etc. But whether this is true or not the power of 2 6800's is about teh 7800, therefore a 600$ gfx card is going into this thing, do monitor "peripherals"(not sure if thats the correct word but the sockets such as dvi) really make the boards so much more expensive(i kno they do not). I mean I honestly can justify myself spending 600$ on a card i think my max is 200$, so in all honesty im curious just how badly eVGA/BFG etc are ripping us off if 600$ can be thrown into a package of 300$. Im still not going to be a console fan I can use the dang joystick for FPS and thats pretty much all i play other then the old games like megman lol.

MisterChief
07-16-2005, 01:53 PM
I really have no idea where theyre making the money, but games sound right. The gaming business is making more money then the movie business which shocks be, I dont kno why because I can understand it.

Very true about them making their own boards etc. But whether this is true or not the power of 2 6800's is about teh 7800, therefore a 600$ gfx card is going into this thing, do monitor "peripherals"(not sure if thats the correct word but the sockets such as dvi) really make the boards so much more expensive(i kno they do not). I mean I honestly can justify myself spending 600$ on a card i think my max is 200$, so in all honesty im curious just how badly eVGA/BFG etc are ripping us off if 600$ can be thrown into a package of 300$. Im still not going to be a console fan I can use the dang joystick for FPS and thats pretty much all i play other then the old games like megman lol.

Well, it may have something to do with the lack of any interface (PCI-e, AGP, etc.) So that gets rid of a lot of extra hardware incorporated onto a PC video card, such as capacitors, resistors and the like. What you are left with is a GPU built directly onto the motherboard. If you've ever taken apart an Xbox, you can see that under the smaller heatsink is the hybrid GForce3/GForce4 GPU and under the larger a typical Socket 370 Celeron with 128KB L2 cache running at 766Mhz. They both lack any type of interface; they're soldered directly onto the board. Now, get rid of all the marketing costs for a seperate video card, like advertising, boxing and shipping, etc. ATI is providing Microsoft with their GPU, so they can slash off all the costs of marketing the GPU; they just make and ship it.

sXenoG
07-16-2005, 07:44 PM
Very good points I must say. I still do find it mind boggling tho, that it can be made for so cheap even after those price cuts. I have not opended up my xbox planning to sell it for some extra cash. Im not fan of xbox or playstation. I go an xbox cuz we needed another one at a LAN party and dint want to invite a particular person who had one. As for ps2.. serves me well as my dvd player lol. I really didnt like any of the games on either console. Just never have been a console fan ever since SNES was lost and forgoten.