PDA

View Full Version : My first "mod"

luciusad2004
11-05-2006, 03:13 AM
Well i dont know if many people would consider this a real mod but im proud of it so im happy with it.

A while ago my dad sent me an old 600 Mhz Ibook from around 2001. It was white... we all know what they look like... beautiful... but still... so ... just like all the rest.

I got bored one day and decided it was time to have some fun. The paint on the old Ibooks is on the inside so i stripped that out and ended up with this.

first phase:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k314/luciusad2004/Mods/macclear.jpg
A clear Ibook. Not all that pretty because there is nothing to see. I did the bottom as well but i tryed to sand it and it turned out pretty bad. I dont have any more pics of it.

Well tonight i got bored again and decided it was time to finish this. So a trip to Kmart, and an hour or so later i ended up with this.

second phase:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k314/luciusad2004/Mods/DCP_0653.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k314/luciusad2004/Mods/DCP_0659.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k314/luciusad2004/Mods/DCP_0656.jpg

A black ibook. I dyed it with RIT dye. The dye didn't want to hold so it took a while and a couple of baths. At first it was comeing out this smokey forest green color, and was still very translucent. After a while (and a raise in bath temperature) it started to darken up.

Im pretty happy with it except for the fact that it now shows ALL scratches and finger prints. Also the battery cover was made out of a different type of plastic and is noticeably off colored. I don't think its that big of a deal though.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k314/luciusad2004/Mods/DCP_0657.jpg

More images.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k314/luciusad2004/Mods/DCP_0658.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k314/luciusad2004/Mods/DCP_0655.jpg

Thanks for reading and let me know what you think.
Constructive criticism is welcome but please...

Dont just flame me cuz i run a mac. While i do prefer Mac OS X, i still use PC's and am in the process of building one. I know PC's are more popular, but a mod is a mod, so lets all just appreciate it for what it is and not debate PC's and macs

Again thanks for looking and extra thanks for any comments : D

simon275
11-05-2006, 03:23 AM
Interesting approach to painting a clear case. So you just dyed it right. I would have sanded it and painted it myself but hey it looks nice anyway.

You don't have to worry there are is no Mac witch hunting on these forums. Why don't you start a thread about the pc you are building over in the worklogs section.

luciusad2004
11-05-2006, 03:42 AM
Yes i just dyed it. I thought about painting it, but i dont usually do that well with paints.

Its good to know that i dont have to worry about witch hunts around here. Seems like anywere else you go you cant even say the word Mac without causing a riot.

I thought about putting up a work log for my build, but its going to be a while, at the moment i have a case, a power supply, and a dvd drive. I have to get some money for it. (need to find a job, apparently FedEx didnt want to hire me)
Plus aren't work logs just for mods? Its not really going to be modded. I spent like $118 on the case and i dont feel quite confident enough with myself to really mess with it yet. It will be my first real build though. Probably the closest thing to a mod on it will be the wire sleeving i did to my power supply the other day.

Ill probably mod my next build. Im going to build something cheap, or buy some old stuff, to practice on. I just want to start out with some basics, window cutting, painting, maybe find something i can try to overclock, and see how low i can get the temperatures. Basicly my next build will be my case for experimenting on until i get some reasonable skills and feel confident enough to work on my nicer hardware.

thanks for the reply :bunny:

samurai_crip
11-05-2006, 05:01 AM
Looks good cool idea :up:

silverdemon
11-05-2006, 07:13 AM
you can always put up a worklog and ask your questions there. like, if you don't know how to do something on your mod, you ask, get an answer, mod it and then put the pictures online :D
like you said in your first post, a mod is a mod...

luciusad2004
11-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the replys guys. I guess ill consider putting up a work log once i get some more money to start some work on my pc. Thanks for all the good replys : D

DaveW
11-05-2006, 10:30 AM
I like the work, interesting method as well.

I know how you feel about it taking every little stain and fingerprint...i also have a black case.

-Dave

luciusad2004
11-05-2006, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I have found that Plexus, a brand of plastics cleaner works well for removing finger prints and smudges. But as i said its an old laptop so its covered in scratches and i cant help those.

I'm happy to see such positive comments lol. Most things i do don't turn out that well. I'm actually pretty proud of this.

Thanks guys.

:bunny:

SgtM
11-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Nice mod. I would have guessed you painted that. One thing you'll find around here quickly, luciusad2004, is that all they guys are very cool, and offer suggestions and help like it's their job.

Hey guys, don't you think he would be able to wet sand the scratches out of the plastic? Start with something fine, say 800, then work up to 1500 or 2000, then re-apply the dye, buff and then maybe spray a couple coats of clear?

luciusad2004
11-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Actually... that probably would have helped alot. I wish i would have thought of that. Im probably not going to mess with it any more though. The hardware that holds the thing together is very week. If i keep messing with it im going to end up stripping all the screws. Also dont feel like spending another couple of hours in front of the stove lol. Thanks for the idea though, ill definetly keep that in mind if I'm ever doing something similar.

Lucius :bunny:

Edit: Maybe in the future, ill work on an experiment with plexy, and see if i can dye that. Maybe do something that involves a couple of pieces and sort of test different techniques, then ill post it up on here.
(long bath at a low heat vs a quick bath at a rapid boil, sanded surface vs nonsanded, etc.)

I actually do want to build a pc out of plexy but it'll be a while before i know everything i need to know.

jdbnsn
11-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Looks nice, I am suprised you got such good results with Rit. I would have never guessed that it would stain plastic so well. Good job!

LiTHiUM0XiD3
11-06-2006, 02:25 PM
<<<< mac hater :D :P not a fan of them at all but nice job makin a mac look like something :D

Omega
11-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Eh, I'm indifferent on the matter (But i do perfer windows machines), but that looks awesome.

Good job!

armadilloben
11-13-2006, 01:27 AM
i liked the glossy effect the black had on it

luciusad2004
11-13-2006, 02:13 AM
Thank You. : )

elbarto241
12-06-2006, 05:46 PM
do u have a hamster? (im askin cause of the cage in the background)

i had a lil hamster last year....but she died =[

azminisk8r
03-12-2007, 03:24 AM
personally i dont like macs just because i miss the bottom toolbar but man that mod made it good enough that i want one now

ozzmossis66
03-12-2007, 04:49 AM
Looks great, Great idea on using the dye! Could you post somethign on the process you used to actually dye the plastic? Im handy with a spraycan but have no idea how to go about using dye on plastic...or cloth for that matter.

I tried to dye some dress pants black one time, I dont think my mother has forgiven me yet and that was at least 12-13 years ago.

:)

Shane

PS +rep for the inventive notion of dying the plastic.

luciusad2004
03-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Wow, didn't expect anyone else to find this thread again lol.

The laptop is actually sort of out of order because i spilled some pizza on the keyboard. I just cant come up with a reason to spend forty dollars to get this thing working again.

personally i dont like macs just because i miss the bottom toolbar but man that mod made it good enough that i want one now

I don't know that the mod would work on newer macs. They changed the type of plastic that they use. Its an opaque plastic so i would probably have to paint a newer one if i wanted to do it.

Looks great, Great idea on using the dye! Could you post somethign on the process you used to actually dye the plastic? Im handy with a spraycan but have no idea how to go about using dye on plastic...or cloth for that matter.

I tried to dye some dress pants black one time, I dont think my mother has forgiven me yet and that was at least 12-13 years ago.

:)

Shane

PS +rep for the inventive notion of dying the plastic.

Ill see if i can find a link to the process. I didn't think at the time to take any pictures

I don't really want to give any personal advice because my method was very touchy and probably flawed. I wouldn't want to give bad information

If i cant find a link ill try to outline what i did.

Edit: Ok i found two links. They didn't follow my method exactly but its basically the same.

http://www.macmod.com/content/view/778/221/
http://www.applefritter.com/node/6808

luciusad2004
03-14-2007, 03:31 PM
In response to squilliam

If you wouldn't mind telling me, how exactly does the RIT dye work?
Isn't it cloth dye, that you can get from a hardware store or K-mart?
How do you use it?
Is it easy to use?
How did you keep the apple symbol white?
I am working on a G3 mod, any suggestions?

The RIT dye works by soaking in to the pores in the plastic when it is heated. It is meant for fabric but it will work on some plastics. The problem is, since its not really meant for plastics the results aren't always predictable. (When i checked my laptop the first couple times it actually looked a shade of green.) The color and over all quality can vary between different types of plastic. If you look at the battery on the bottom of my ibook you can tell that it came out very poorly. I assume that it is because it was a replacement battery and the type of plastic was very different from the type used through out the rest of the laptop.

As far as were to purchase it, i got mine at Kmart. There are two types, liquid and powder. I used the powder.

The overall process was pretty simple.

First i disassembled the laptop.

The clear apple logo pops out but you have to be very careful not to break it. I actually did crack some of the outer edges of mine so i recommend using extra caution. After i was finished i put it back in using super glue. This left it looking very messy so if you can find a glue that will dry clear, or a glue that is meant for plastics that would probably be better.

After it was disassembled i stripped the paint.

The paint on the older iBooks is on the inside of the case. To accomplish this i used 91% Isopropyl Alcohol which i purchased from a CVS pharmacy. I poured the alcohol on to the parts that needed to be stripped and let it sit for a minute. After that i wiped off the paint with some paper towels. You may have to do this several times to get all of the paint off. An old tooth brush and some q-tips will be useful for getting in to some of the small nooks and crannies that would other wise be almost impossible to get to.

I did run in to a few problems here though. On the bottom half of the case, there is a bunch of small foam pads stuck in certain locations around the outer walls of the case. I had to remove these to remove the paint underneath them.

On the top of the casing there is a plastic part that runs along the perimeter of the case which holds it firmly in place. While removing mine in order to get to the paint underneath it, it snapped. I put it back together without that part but it doesn't fit as snuggly to the frame as it should. I read some tutorials on ibook disassembly (i recommend you find some if you haven't already) and they said that if you take it off you should be able to glue it back on but i don't know what kind of glue you should use and i don't know if it would show through or not. You'll have to figure that one out.

After the the parts were stripped of paint i cleaned mine with the alcohol to make sure that their was no oil or sweat on them.

Now on to the dying.

Following the directions on the package i mixed the dye and water in to a large metal pan. I would suggest using a pan that you don't plan to use for food anymore. You also want to make sure that it is deep enough to fit your parts in. I actually purchased one of those disposable tin foil turkey pans but there may be better options.

Next I heated the dye solution. I find the hotter the solution the quicker the plastics will suck up the dye. The plastic seemed to take on the color most when the solution was boiling but that lead to some problems. You have to be very careful not the let the solution boil over. It will splatter out of the pan, and it will stain stuff so if you can find some were that its OK to make a mess that would be best. I did it in my kitchen on the stove but i covered the pan. It honestly wasn't the best setup. IF your going to cover your pan be VERY careful when lifting the top off as hot steam will come shooting out.

Your also going to want lots of ventilation. I started getting a headache when i was working because i didn't have adequate ventilation.

Once the dye is heated you can place your parts in. I would were gloves when working with the dye as it will stain your hands. I made the mistake of working without them and my hands were purple for a week or so after words. You are also going to want some sort of device for pulling the parts out of the pan. I didn't have anything so i used some chopsticks and it didn't work all that well. I would suggest something like a set of tongs that you don't mind ruining. One of the tutorials i linked to in my last post suggested a spoon bent at a ninety degree angle.

Leave the parts soak in the dye for a while. It will take a long time. I cant say how long because i was experimenting with different temperatures the entire time. As i said before a high temperature allows the plastic to suck up the dye more quickly. Boiling was the quickest but the dye will boil over. Also i found that when the dye was boiling the dye came out sort of uneven. I checked on my parts every fifteen minutes to a half an hour. I wouldn't suggest leaving them unattended. I'm not sure what could happen if this stuff gets to hot. Also, you want to watch and make sure your not causing any damage to your parts.

When you ready to check on them, remove the from the dye and rinse them in cold water. Some of the extra dye will rinse off. Keep rinsing until the water runs clear. If it looks the color you want it to be your done with that part. If not, put it back in the dye solution and let it soak some more. As i said it may take a long time. I probably spent an hour or so doing this.

After the parts were finished I let them dry. and when they were good and dry i reassemble my laptop.

It worked out pretty well for me but as i mentioned above dyeing plastics can be unpredictable. Your colors may not turn out right or you may end up with a very light dye that you can still see through.

If your still interested in dyeing you laptop i would suggest looking for some good tutorials. I linked to two of them in my last post (both of which vary slightly from mine) and there are more to be found.
As i said my method wasn't the best so if your going to try i really can't accept any responsibility for whatever happens.

Hope this helped. :)

If you want to find more tutorials do a search for dyeing plastics.

Edit: As i mentioned above, I take no responsibility for any damage or personal injury that may be caused by following my instructions. The above method is FAR from Ideal.

chaksq
03-14-2007, 03:53 PM
+rep for great write up!

squilliam
03-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Still one more question and I shall be out of your hair.
How exactly did you deal with the Apple logo?

luciusad2004
03-14-2007, 09:08 PM
I don't remember exactly what i used to get the apple logo to pop off. I did this a couple of months ago. However, I think it may have had something to do with bashing it out with the blunt end of a screw driver... I think i left this out because i wouldn't recommend hitting your laptop with a screw driver. You should be able to just push it out with your thumbs though. It will take a lot of work and it will give a lovely cracking sound when it finally pops off. The part is glued in their so once your ready to put it back in you'll have to find some sort of plastics glue. I used super glue and lots of scotch tape (i was having trouble keeping it in.) If you look at the picture were my laptop is clear you can see a nice mess all around the apple logo. That is from the glue.

Personally i wouldn't do it more than i have to just because i see it a very easy part to break. Just be careful, and if you see it cracking or starting to break try to find another way to get it off.

As far as dyeing the apple logo, I tried to throw it in for a little bit to give it a smoked or tinted look but the damn thing wouldn't take the dye. I'm not sure what would happen if you left it in for a long time though.

Feel free to ask any more questions.
Hope that helps :)

squilliam
03-14-2007, 09:29 PM
My G3 case is actually the desktop version :D
I am quite scared of breaking it. wish me luck ;)

:Edit:Wooooo for punches!!! (not physical punching, but rather the tool)

luciusad2004
03-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Ah, good luck with that and be sure to post up pictures. Im afraid i don't really know anything about them, so id love to see it.

samcat
03-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Looks very nice, you say it came out smokey at first? Would have been cool to have it stay slightly translucent, just tinted.

luciusad2004
03-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Looks very nice, you say it came out smokey at first? Would have been cool to have it stay slightly translucent, just tinted.

I thought about it but the inside of it just isnt that interesting. All you can see is metal.

I was thinking of trying to wire up some sort of lighting system in the bottom to give it sort of an under-glow but decided against it due to the fact that i have no electrical know how and i would have had to find some sort of power source to splice in to. I wouldn't have been able to do it properly. Thanks for the Compliments