PDA

View Full Version : Proper Safety Gear?

Shinoobi
05-13-2005, 01:24 AM
Hi all,

I finally decided to learn how to mod, by first learning how to spray paint cases. I found a computer case that was waiting to be picked up by the garbage man. I even found an old 4 gig Western Digital in it. So it's safe to say that the case was probably made 1998 or older.

I went looking for safety equipment at Home Depot earlier last night. I'm a little unsure about the respirator and safety goggles that I bought. Every single person I spoke to in the store, basically shrugged me off.

The respirator that I bought was a MSA respirator for paints and pesticides. The model number is 00817662 (there's a link to the item in the bottom of this post). I was wondering if I should have gotten the multi-purpose respirator instead (Link in the bottom as well). I'm looking to sand the metal and paint. Are the paints on pre-2k cases dangerous as oppose to todays cases?

Another concern of mine is about the goggles that I bought. I'm wondering if it is alright to use during sanding and spray painting (Model 10031205).

Thanks in advance.

The respirator I bought. (http://epartner.msanet.com/cgibin/hsrun/prd70/Suite/StateId/CwCgRJnESAJBx0N-cOcGh6SdZAU_w-VXFT/HAHTpage/Suite.HsViewHierarchy.run?Hierarchy=0:1089:1095:11 12:1130&Level=4&State=closed)

Multi-purpose Respirator (http://epartner.msanet.com/cgibin/hsrun/prd70/Suite/StateId/CwCgRJnESAJBx0N-cOcGh6SdZAU_w-VXFT/HAHTpage/Suite.HsViewHierarchy.run?Hierarchy=0:1089:1095:11 12:1127&Level=4&State=closed)

Safety Goggles (http://epartner.msanet.com/cgibin/hsrun/prd70/Suite/StateId/CwCgRJnESAJBx0N-cOcGh6SdZAU_w-VXFT/HAHTpage/Suite.HsViewHierarchy.run?Hierarchy=0:1089:1094:11 10:1148&Level=4&State=closed)

Zeus
05-13-2005, 10:18 AM
dead links

Shinoobi
05-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Oh sorry about that. Here's the addy to the main site.

www.msasafetyworks.com

I bought the paint and pesticide respirator. It's under the twin cartridge respirators. I was wondering if I should spend the extra 9 dollars instead and get the multi-purpose respirator (also in the same category).

The goggles are listed as chemical splash goggles.

Thanks in advance.

Shinoobi
05-13-2005, 05:40 PM
Nobody?

Shinoobi
05-13-2005, 11:45 PM
Anyone? Anyone at all?

Zeus
05-15-2005, 06:04 PM
I only recently started modding myselft (including spraypainting) and the guys at the paint shop all told me that unless you plan to be doing a lot of painting, there isn't much need for expensive breathing systems. They suggested better than the cheapie dust masks at home depot but the ones they suggested seemed similar with much better filtering. Are you planning to do a LOT of painting?

EDIT: my biggest suggestion (and I am sure most people here would agree) is to make sure you are in a a well ventilated area.

Guttenaffe
05-15-2005, 06:27 PM
I paint outside, dust/dirt isn't a problem becuse you can sand it out.

Xato
05-16-2005, 10:05 AM
lol, painting on a windy beach rocks!

Painting outside is good though, as it allows for cleaner drying, on sunny days anyway.
When outside, minimal respiratory protection is necessary, if any. I just use a face mask just to be safe.

Guttenaffe
05-17-2005, 01:49 AM
I dry inside, but paint outside:

Explained furter here: http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1375&postcount=11

nil8
05-17-2005, 01:59 PM
I'm fairly new to modding myself. I've only done 4 cases.
This is my first post. Joy.

If your goggles are chemical resistant, they will work for painting and minor metal work.

Another little note, if you have space in your garage/shed, run metal clothesline and hang your drying cases. It helps keep dirt off and bugs away. Not 100%, but better than letting it lie on the ground.

The last thing I have to add that most people don't is if you're painting wear nitrile gloves. Nitrile is the material used whenever people mess with gasoline, or paint or anything that can catch fire. A 100-pack box of them won't cost you over 6 bucks and it keeps your hands clean from primer and paint.