PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice....

gaz_the_chav
11-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Hey all!

I am looking for some server software very similar to Windows Server 2003 (or similar lol). I am looking for free software though as I can't afford windows and I definetly DON'T do downloading so there is no option there!

Thanks alot :up:

-gaz

gaz_the_chav
11-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Sorry I will rephrase that - What I mean is I would like a server operating system which I can especially file share and manage accounts from.

thanks

-gaz

Airbozo
11-06-2006, 11:59 AM
The only real alternative given the price constraints would be linux. What type of accounts do you need to manage? File sharing is no problem as linux supports samba which works well with other windows boxes. Linux also can use nfs to share data.

gaz_the_chav
11-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Sorry what I meant was user accounts, groups and group policies. I'm glad to hear about the file sharing lol. I know the price I am looking to spend is not amazing but hey. Any recomendations of other OS's which would not be to costly?

Thanks alot :up:

-gaz

CanaBalistic
11-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Well, from the zero to free price range, i think linux is your best bet.

There are programs that will let you do what you want from a windows machine. Apache, ftp.

ajmilton
11-06-2006, 01:24 PM
yeah. server OSes are either free (most *nix) or expensive. you can make most linux servers play well with windows boxes if you have enough time and patience. linux has user account/domain sort of things (LDAP, as I recall)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Directory_Access_Protocol

gaz_the_chav
11-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Well, from the zero to free price range, i think linux is your best bet.

There are programs that will let you do what you want from a windows machine. Apache, ftp. (ftp://ftp.)

Thanks guys! I do not mind using software on the computer to manage accounts and stuff so I'm interested in the Apache. I am using Windows XP Home though does his matter?

-gaz

ajmilton
11-06-2006, 03:00 PM
apache's a webserver. fyi. not account administration :p
and what do you mean you're using winxp home? is that the os you're replacing? or is that just something that needs to connect to the server

TheMovement4
11-06-2006, 03:57 PM
I think he is saying he wants to install Linux on top of Windows? You could give VMware a shot. But yeah, linux is your best bet if your looking to go the cheap/free way. Could boot leg, but thats against the law..

ajmilton
11-06-2006, 04:47 PM
oh man. i wouldn't run a server that's supposed to do anything in a VM. sure you could use vmware or cygwin or something, but ew. that'd be painful and slow and all sorts of badness :p

gaz_the_chav
11-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Lol well what I am really looking for is a program that I can administor all users groups and policies from my computer around my small home network and also my shares lol

-gaz

Airbozo
11-06-2006, 08:37 PM
One of our customers is using a tool on his linux box to manage user accounts. I will ask what he uses. Normally you need a windows box to manage windows accounts, but I will double check.