PDA

View Full Version : Will these work :(?

Famous
11-08-2006, 08:28 PM
i have an old ass compaq presario 5000 series.
and i bought an e nvidia 6600, doom3 series or w/e.
and i pop it in and it says like, an error message.

does this card work with my computer?
my friend has the same computer, and he can put in a radeon 9200 in his.

i posted this somewhere else, but it wasnt even getting looks.

tybrenis
11-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Check your connection again, make sure everything fits.

Sounds dumb, but make sure it's an AGP card and you're plugging it into the AGP slot. Or, if it's old ass, and it's a mass produced case, it might not even have an AGP slot, just onboard graphics and then PCI slots.

Airbozo
11-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Exactly like an error message or just like an error message?

HEH JK, , what is the error message? Did you remove your old graphics card drivers before installing the new card?

If you are not getting a series of beeps when the system starts, it will probably work. You may need to go into the bios and set everything to "default". But try removing the old graphics drivers _first_ to see if that helps.

Post the error message here if it does not work.

Famous
11-08-2006, 08:38 PM
well, i did take out the old graphics card, and i put the new one in.
and it came up with the error message.
i cant remember what it said <:|, but if i end up trying to put it in again, ill write it down and post it.

simon275
11-09-2006, 12:35 AM
From your dual post with the problem in the Technology Talk Section

1) What is the error message do you get it when playing doom3? do you get it when you boot up your computer?

2) Have you tried to see that other games work?

3) Do You have the most up to date nvida drivers installed?

4) Where you careful putting the card in? you may have partly killed it by static. I have done this to a 6800gt I could use 2d e.g. Windows but 3d like games did not work.

5)If the card fits properly in the slot for the video card then it is compaitable. Is it AGP or PCIE. I should tell you on the packaging on the video card. I reckon you are using an AGP card. If a radeon 9200 works a 6600 will work.

DaveW
11-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Don't make double threads. I'll delete the other one.

The other forums is new. It needs time for people to really get used to it.

-Dave

Airbozo
11-09-2006, 11:50 AM
well, i did take out the old graphics card, and i put the new one in.
and it came up with the error message.
i cant remember what it said <:|, but if i end up trying to put it in again, ill write it down and post it.

Removing the old graphics card is only half the process. You _must_ remove the drivers too. Especially if you are changing card brands (ati --> nVidia).

Famous
11-09-2006, 01:51 PM
no, i dont have any up to date nvidia stuff installed.
i took out the old card, put in the new one.
turned on my comp, and blam, error message.

my computer is bone dry stock.

Airbozo
11-09-2006, 02:04 PM
no, i dont have any up to date nvidia stuff installed.
i took out the old card, put in the new one.
turned on my comp, and blam, error message.

my computer is bone dry stock.

That is the problem then. Your computer still thinks that the ati card is in there but you swapped it with the nvidia one and the driver is not compatable. You need to uninstall the ati drivers, remove the ati card, install the nvidia card, boot up the system and then install the nvidia drivers. Make sure that you have a copy of both drivers just in case something goes wrong. If you are not sure what you are doing when uninstralling the drivers, get someone to help. (at least watch over your shoulder).

Famous
11-11-2006, 01:06 AM
no no no. the old card was too an nvidia.

but, my brother and his friend that i got it from tried everything.
so i traded with my bro.

now a have an ati radeon 9600

ajmilton
11-13-2006, 01:01 PM
that works either way, famous. if you're replacing an nvidia with an ati, or an ati with a [$alternative_gpu_company], the drivers for the old one need to be removed so the computer doesn't go looking for it.
default drivers will (should) give you enough functionality to find/install the "real" drivers. i think all windows os'es since win2k support 800x600 res on just a generic "vga" driver.
and for a little advice, regardless of which brand you end up using, i suggest going directly to the GPU manufacturer and downloading the reference drivers, not the card manufacturer's drivers. the CDs tend to come with annoying "utilities" that never get used and are frequently poorly written :p