PDA

View Full Version : Cutting aluminum sheet.

simon275
11-09-2006, 01:07 AM
What is the best tool for cutting aluminum sheeting. I was thinking a jigsaw. I need it for my mod click on my sig to see what is going on.

Slug Toy
11-09-2006, 01:58 AM
jigsaws work pretty well with aluminum. i prefer that over a dremel. if you have a band saw that works too... but a jigsaw is good enough.

simon275
11-09-2006, 02:38 AM
I went to a big hardware store Jigsaws they are pretty cheap. I have some questions

What brand?
How many watts of power?
Do I need any special blades?

jreffy
11-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Wait, stop right there.

From briefly reading the last couple pages of your worklog you want to cut a shape out of aluminum sheet to put on your case window yes?

If that's the case, DO NOT use a jigsaw. I'm assuming you're going to be using relatively thin aluminum sheet, using a jigsaw will actually pull up on the sheet a bit and can possibly give you some bent edges, then again if the blade is new and fast enough, maybe not.

However, because you are cutting out a shape that I assume is going to have some detail. Use a dremel, especially if you already have one. A) it will save you money, B) it will let you cut with detail, C) it will save you money.

I used a dremel to cut aluminum sheet for my custom rad grill in my worklog (see my sig) and it came out great.

Airbozo
11-09-2006, 12:17 PM
For thin metal I use tin snips and hammer the edges back down. If you are planning something intriicate, rough it in with the jigsaw (using a metal blade with as many teeth as you can find), then finish with a dremel and file. Make sure to have plenty of support under the material to prevent warpage and bending. Also take breaks during the cutting to allow the metal and bklade to cool off. Hot or warm metal will warp easier.

Oh and any brand is ok. Get one that feels good in your hand and has some features you can use. (like blade storage, easy foot adjustment, etc) I use 2 different ones, a craftsman for generic all purpose use and a porter cable for heavy duty work.

simon275
11-10-2006, 04:58 AM
Right. This is gonna be a bit of an investment it looks like. Gonna go back to the store tomorrow and case it out.