PDA

View Full Version : Cathar Storm G7

Zephik
11-11-2006, 11:30 AM
It's a cpu block... that much I get. Is it any good? I was looking at wikipedia and thats what they recommended in a high performance/cost system for a cpu block.

-SF

Slug Toy
11-11-2006, 05:49 PM
i looked into this. its a very elaborate waterblock, and i found a sort of worklog of the guy who made it.

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=12194&page=1&pp=25

basically, its like a swiftech storm waterblock, except it looks like it has more jets and its made out of pure silver. thats right, silver. silver has a slight advantage over copper for thermal conductivity.

i havent read through everything yet. im doing that now.

Slug Toy
11-11-2006, 06:33 PM
yep, just as i suspected. those guys are heavy into engineering/computational sciences/physics. even i cant understand what they're talking about. i dont really want to understand anyways. too much math involved for me.

basically, the cathar storm g7 is a masterpiece, and probably not a good idea for the average person, if its even widely available. the silver alone may be too expensive for most people.

its impressive anyways.

Zephik
11-12-2006, 01:43 AM
WOW

That... Is insane. That has to be like 200 bucks MINIMUM!

I want one lol

Actually... I am going to throw some emails around and see if I can locate one and get the price tag for it. I'll post it as soon as I find out. lol IF I can even find one...

-SF

Zephik
11-12-2006, 02:01 AM
Well it looks like it would be a specialty product. Which means that you request one, he'll give you a price, you say yes or no, then he goes and builds it if he hasn't already. I dont think the silver version is available to the public. But you can buy the G4 from swiftech as they now have the rights to. Check Little River Water Blocks website. Google it.

So is the G4 made my swiftech but originally made by Cathar the best around that is in wide scale production?

-SF

Oh yeah, Also, Cathar has a G8 too. As I understand it, everything above a G4 is just slightly more "tuned" each time. I also don't believe that the temperature drop/price ratio is worth it. Unless of course you are a temp freak or a collector of sorts. Its probably like 3-7 degrees difference from his G4/G5.