PDA

View Full Version : America's Army Online

Zephik
11-13-2006, 06:55 AM
http://www.americasarmy.com/

I tried that game today... and got absolutely pwn'd. It's fun, but do lots of training before you actually start playing the game.

...or people will laugh at you. :cries: lol

Anyways, I give it a 8/10.

Pretty good for a free online game. I think I'll stick with runescape though. ;)

-SF

public_eyesore
11-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Same here, I had no idea what was going on

Zephik
11-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Same here, I had no idea what was going on

lol

Well at least we tried right!? :up:

:cries some more: :p

-SF

nil8
11-13-2006, 02:45 PM
I'm not a fan of government made games. Seems a little too facist for me.

DaveW
11-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Seems a little too facist for me.

That's a big word...are you aware quite how big? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism) Personally i was under the impression it meant a government who was anti-communist. Looks like it means that and more...

-Dave

Airbozo
11-14-2006, 01:30 PM
AA is a good game, done right. It takes a little time to understand and play and _really_ is more fun if you are part of a squad with online communication. I played for a couple ofyears with an online squad and got pretty good at it. Communication is a MUST in that game if you want to survive a round.

When I first started playing, I kept expecting some sort of tracking and recruitment to always haunt me. Never happened. I figured if my tax dollars are paying for development, I should at least have some fun with it. The army uses a similar tool (supposedly developed from the same code base) for troop training. I got to play around in their VR world a couple of years ago at SIGGRAPH> They had everything hooked up to a rifle and motion pad. It was easier to get the kill when you were ;looking down your gun sights and not using a mouse.

Zephik
11-14-2006, 01:50 PM
That... Would help so much to actually be able to put yourself into the game instead of looking at it and using your mouse. I'll start really getting into the game as soon as I get a better PC to play on. This one makes things very hard...

I'm going to go through boot camp again because my friend wants me to play with him. He's pretty good, I watched him for awhile. The communication makes the gameplay alot better which is why he bought a very nice headset. This Thursday when I go down to Best Buy to sit in line for who knows how many hours, he's going to buy me one so we can play it the right way. Hopefully he'll buy me my HDD so I can start playing on my "gaming" computer again. X300SE woot :hurt:

SgtM
11-14-2006, 02:50 PM
I've been playing for about 3 years now. I suck because I don't play often, and I took a year off due to hardware issues. It's fun after you get used to it.

Zephik
11-14-2006, 03:11 PM
3 YEARS! Dang man lol. I think my record is about 3 yeas too off and on. Runescape baby! ^^

What does Ping mean? Thats one thing that even my friend doesn't entirely know and he plays it almost every night!

-SF

SgtM
11-14-2006, 05:27 PM
PING = Packet internet grouper. It's the response time between you, the game server(s) and other players. Basically, the higher the ping time, is, the more lag you will experience, and vice versa.

simon275
11-14-2006, 08:03 PM
AA is ok but I prefer a game of CS:S any day also WoW takes up most of my time. Is it just me or did anyone else have trouble with airborne training. I could not get my guy to land right.

OvRiDe
11-15-2006, 01:16 AM
Wow, havent heard that itile in a while! I haven't kept up with the game but I started playing it when it was first released. I thought it was a great game. The year it was released it came in second to Battlefield:1942 for FPS game of the year. IMO AAO was way better but I think it wouldn't look good if a free game won. :) I need to pick it back up, I got behind in the training and haven't taken the time to catchup.

.Maleficus.
11-15-2006, 06:27 AM
AA is ok but I prefer a game of CS:S any day also WoW takes up most of my time. Is it just me or did anyone else have trouble with airborne training. I could not get my guy to land right.
I'm with you Simon, AA is ok, but I'll play CS:S over that any day.

PauL
11-15-2006, 11:19 AM
I would have to agree with you. Now a day I prefer CS:S or BF2 over AA. I played AA for about 2 years, 1 year was with a clan. It takes a little while to get used to with aiming, but once you get the hang of it its pretty easy. Airborne trainning was tricky, but not as hard as the SF Training. Took me a long time before I complete that. I just updated to 2.7 about a month ago so I could do the new trainning for fun but didn't find online all that much fun anymore.

nil8
11-15-2006, 02:35 PM
CS gets boring after a while.
I'm enjoying the wave of first person rpgs that have come out. I've been playing on the Elder Scrolls series since Daggerfall and I have loved every release. Oblivion is fantastic and a well made timesink.

Dark Messiah is buggy and kinda sucks. It's not the most intuitive of game platforms and there are some real problems with the idea of your boot surpassing armor, magic, creature strengths, etc etc.

DaveW
11-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Dark Messiah is buggy and kinda sucks. It's not the most intuitive of game platforms and there are some real problems with the idea of your boot surpassing armor, magic, creature strengths, etc etc.

Well it's realistic. What, you expect some guy's armour is going to help him when you try to kick him over? More likely, it'll put the guy off balance. I will object if you're fighting a creature 8 foot tall and your kick sends him flying, but unfortunately, there were only orcs in the demo, so i can't comment on this. But i can say that i had some great fun with it. Being honest, it's not a D&D's RPG-it's an RPG for the guy who like CS and HL. No stats, no dice, just a good boot off a handy cliff and you've saved the world.

-Dave

nil8
11-15-2006, 02:58 PM
I loved HL and HL2. That aspect isn't my qualm. My problem is the lack of support for slower graphics cards without massive tweaking. The bugs, the crashes, the problematic video playback which is just as important as the gameplay.

As for the big creatures problem, yea, you can knock back 10 foot tall creatures by kicking them in the shin.

It has promise as a game and I have enjoyed being an assassin, but their is something lacking that I can't put my finger on.
There are also parts of the game that look like they were added to give it a more rpg feel and much less linear ideal, which don't always work well.

The melee combat system is fantastic. If you are a sword and shield kind of person, it's a lot of fun. Archers get runted for the most part. No reason to be an archer when you can sneak up and stick a dagger in their neck.

I'm really trying not to give the game away for those who haven't finished it yet.

DaveW
11-15-2006, 03:03 PM
I'm really trying not to give the game away for those who haven't finished it yet.

Please don't, i haven't got my copy yet.

What do you think about Assassin's Creed? That looks like fun, in a similar vein.

-Dave

simon275
11-16-2006, 09:58 PM
Once I played WoW single player rpg's don't do it for me any more. I am walking around in olbiovon doing a quest and I am like hmm I cant form a group or ask someone what to do next in the quest. Think I will go and do some pvp on WoW instead.

Zephik
11-17-2006, 09:06 AM
GAH! Every time we talk about a vid game, WoW always pops up somewhere! Is it really that good? I WANT IT! :tear:

-SF

SgtM
11-17-2006, 09:48 AM
GAH! Every time we talk about a vid game, WoW always pops up somewhere! Is it really that good? I WANT IT! :tear:

-SF

I've never played WoW, but a freind just switched from WoW to Guild Wars. He says Guild Wars is better any day of the week. Major advantage in his mind is there is no monthly fee to play online.

nil8
11-17-2006, 01:50 PM
I played WoW for a month. It's your basic mmorpg timesink. That and since there are so many people on you run into a lot of young idiots.

Personally I think mmorpgs are a massive waste of time, but that's my opinion.

I'm also burnt on online FPS games. I've been playing every week for years and I think it's time for a year or two off from the hl mods. I'll play ep2 and they hunger, which are both sp.

Assassin's Creed looks like it could be a lot of fun. Thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye out.

Zephik
11-17-2006, 03:39 PM
I checked out Assassins Creed on YouTube.com. That game looks absolutely amazing, It looks like Prince of Persia but more advanced, I just hope the graphics are like that of Oblivion! That game alone just might persuade me to buy a X360!

-SF

simon275
11-17-2006, 06:55 PM

-SF

6.5 million people can't be wrong. I love it. THe game itself isn't that much and if you buy play time in bulk like 6 month block you get a bulk saving.

SgtM
11-19-2006, 10:16 PM
I just installed 2.7 today. Pretty cool stuff. Just have to wait until my hand heals now so I can play for real.