PDA

View Full Version : Two Cases to combine

yakyb
11-15-2006, 07:25 AM
ok i have expressed before how much i liike the cube cases however there are no suppliers of them in th uk so i have decided to build my own by combining 2 regular cases i reckon that my buget for a new case would be around £80-90 so im looking for 2 decent cases around the £40 pound mark.
i was initially thinking of using the akasa Zen as i like the brand but there dont appear to be many decent photos online

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-020-AK

any one seen these in person or have any other suggestions
my only criteria is that its a well made case (i cant stand those with cheap interiors) size weight etc are not an issue ,as i will be going fairly aggressive on them.

to give you an idea of the mod i will house MOBO CPU GPU on one side of the case in an upside down ATX style and window it then i will convert the other side to house water cooling HDD CD/dvd Powersupply one one extra surprise that i will show at the end of the mod.

Zephik
11-15-2006, 07:47 AM
I've seen a few people try and accomplish this in the past and I am sure you could do it but I have another idea that you could also try?

Why not build your own case? We have a few people doing that here as well... and with great success!

Linkage:
Plexi Case (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4852)
Aluminum Case (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4559&highlight=vendetta)

Those two are pretty darn good and should give anyone lots of ideas for custom built cases. You don't need to be as fancy as that either of course. Heck, you could just get a big piece of mesh and bend it into the shape you want, then if you dont want mesh, cover it in bondo or something like that and sand it down to get that nice smooth finish!(<-- not sure if that would work, but it seems like it would in my head).

...Or you could go with the two cases and combine them. Make a few cuts, couple welds or whatever you want to use to attach them, and tah dah! You pretty much have it I would guess.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck!

-SF

m4gnum
11-15-2006, 09:41 AM
What you really want is one that opens on the left hand side, and another that opens on the right. I know a lot of cases open both sides but most have a quick release for one side to make it easier to access.

Only problem would be matching the height difference.

yakyb
11-15-2006, 10:13 AM
cheers for the links i really like the reactor mod those side mounted res's are pretty unique.

my plan was just to get the 2 cases and rivet them together via the frame

i think the mesh would work ill think about that as im trying to think of methods of smoothing off the top surface was initially thinking acrylic but much prefer the bondo idea

@M4gnum hadnt given much thought to the doors my current case Akasa eclipse 62 is capable of being fully disassembled being from the same manufacturer/distributer i thought it may be the same however as i said i havnt seen the case so cant comment as of yet. dont see it being too hard to change tho if it isn't

Zephik
11-15-2006, 11:00 AM
I think that sounds like a plan! Rivet them together, then fill the gaps with bondo, sand it out, and paint it. How well that will actually work I don't know, but you'll never know unless you try. Just remember that if it doesn't work as well as you hoped, you didn't fail, You just discovered a way not to do it. But imo it sounds like it should work.

-SF