PDA

View Full Version : Multi-panel displays

Airbozo
11-15-2006, 12:05 PM
Not sure if any of you have seen this product:

http://9xmedia.com/

Some of the smaller panels look nice for gaming. I want to contact them to see if certain games only will use all 3 screens or if it can be seen as _1_ display...

Hell I just sent them my resume to see if they need anyone to build these systems for them.

Zephik
11-15-2006, 12:34 PM
LOL

My exact words when I opened that link were... oh wait... here I'll PM you it. lol We have youngsters amongst us! ;)

But still, that is mighty impressive!

-SF

gaz_the_chav
11-15-2006, 03:45 PM
They are nice!

I want either one of the 3 screen ones or a 30 screen one!

I would also like to know whether only certain games works on there so if you would airbozo please post what they say to you about the whole game thing!

Cheers :up:

-gaz

Airbozo
11-15-2006, 06:56 PM
They are nice!

I want either one of the 3 screen ones or a 30 screen one!

I would also like to know whether only certain games works on there so if you would airbozo please post what they say to you about the whole game thing!

-gaz

Will do. Supposedly they have several setup in their warehouse/lab. I am trying right now to approach this visit from a review / article standpoint, so they might be willing to give me the full tour of their products. I am bringing a couple of my game dvd's to see if I can "test" a few titles for compatability. Don't have a firm date for a visit to their facility yet so I will post when I have more info.

BTW gaz, I finished NFS Carbon last night. Took me almost 2 dozen tries to finish the last canyon run. I finished using the subaru. Fun game, now I need to play against some human competition online!

Timoi
11-16-2006, 12:55 AM
:D YES LET US KNOW!!!!

Once in a while, in a good movie, you see someone either gaming or hacking or something on a computer which uses 3+ screens and I have always wondered about those systems.

If these can do what you are thinking, bring back a souvenir from that place while you think of me... and well keep it since I will be nowhere near being able to affoard it.

This reminds me of the NICEST setup I have ever seen... A rented movie theatre room, computer connected to the projector (I thought they used those film reels but apparantly they got this working somehow so I don't really know...) A joystick brought to a good chair (I doubt wireless since this was a LONG time ago but mabe an extra long wire with many extentions?). And someone playing a top of the line game at the time. Rebel Assault. Ok yeah it was a long time ago, but it was so SA-WEET! especially since the audio was connected too the room's speakers too so you had full theatre vusuals and sound! I just didnt want to leave that place! Anyways enough side tracking...

gaz_the_chav
11-16-2006, 08:23 AM
Cheers Airbozo!

I really want one of these:

http://9xmedia.com/Images/Product%20Images/3-across-X-Hub.gif

So if you could rob one for me! It would be greatly appciated. Only joking but that is the one that I would like or be able to afford!

-gaz

luciusad2004
11-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Idk... It seems like anything above one row starts to bother me. I think the furthest i would go would probably be three of them. It seems like as soon as they add that second row the bezels start to bother me.

Its definetly cool though

gaz_the_chav
11-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Lol yeh but don't tell me that you would not accept one of these like free or even half price!:

http://9xmedia.com/Images/L2-images/30-screen-3by5-800-pixels.gif

30 screens of pure power...

-gaz

luciusad2004
11-16-2006, 11:49 AM
gaz - your right... i would take one if it was given to me ... The bezels may aggravate me but im sure id get over it pretty fast lol.

What would you do with it though other than games and movies? As cool as it would be to browse the forums from my couch spanned out over 30 screens it probably wouldn't be to practical lol

I wonder how the price compares to a nice high definition projector.

Airbozo
11-16-2006, 12:04 PM
Idk... It seems like anything above one row starts to bother me. I think the furthest i would go would probably be three of them. It seems like as soon as they add that second row the bezels start to bother me.

Its definetly cool though

I agree. At home 3 is the most I would want to use. Even then the bezels would kind of mess with you. I am spoiled though since I used to play some games on the system in my old lab (those were the days);
http://www.sgi.com/products/visualization/realitycenter/images/3.3_h225_realitycenter_index.jpg
Notice the screen they are standing in front of. 10' high, 27' wide, 160 degree FOV with 3 projectors running at 1280x1024 with a seperate system controlling the edge blending (so you don't see any lines or overlap). Now imagine COD or BF2 on that screen. Racing games were great on it also, although if you were not sitting in the sweet spot, you would get motion sickness.

luciusad2004
11-16-2006, 12:41 PM
:eek: I want to play some games on that set up lol.

gaz_the_chav
11-16-2006, 01:52 PM
gaz - your right... i would take one if it was given to me ... The bezels may aggravate me but im sure id get over it pretty fast lol.

What would you do with it though other than games and movies? As cool as it would be to browse the forums from my couch spanned out over 30 screens it probably wouldn't be to practical lol

I wonder how the price compares to a nice high definition projector.

Dude think practically here! We are modders! Mod your god damn front room to fit the Wall O' Screens!

-gaz

luciusad2004
11-16-2006, 03:04 PM
Dude think practically here! We are modders! Mod your god damn front room to fit the Wall O' Screens!

-gaz
Moder and practical in the same paragraph? Can you do that? lol Just jokeing.

I WAS thinking... maybe you cold mod the screen with maybe like... a clear bezel or some how mod it to reduce the noticability.

Crimson Sky
11-16-2006, 08:17 PM
I like firing this up now and then ;)

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/projects/nighthawk/stealth_complete_1.jpg

Zephik
11-16-2006, 08:21 PM
lol

That is one nice piece of custom made equipment crimson.

...you darn show off ;)

-SF

Crimson Sky
11-16-2006, 08:31 PM
:p I got the multipanel mount at tigerdirect.com. was about $200 at the time. Those ar BenQ slim frame monitors, 9ms refresh

Zephik
11-16-2006, 08:40 PM
I hate you

:D

I gotta question actually... I want to take apart my two monitors and put them in a dual monitor frame. Do they sell those? *I would rather not take them apart actually, but if its unavoidable...

-SF

EDIT:
Also, I just showed my younger brother your creation Crimson. He dropped his jaw and said you we're messed up lol

Airbozo
11-16-2006, 08:49 PM
Nice stuff Crimson. When I first joined this site that was the first mod that caught my attention. I used to build flight sims and cockpit simulators for McDonnel Douglas (now Boing), and that is as proffesional as anything I have seen from Boing or the Military.

Here is what my ex sgi co-worker is doing now;
http://andesengineering.com/products.php

Just found out tuesday his new office is less than a block away from my work. I offered some tech help for time on the hangglider sim. He is trying to get me to try the real thing. I am taking him up on it (he is also a licensed instructor) and hopefully will get a flight in before the end of the year. I told him to check out this site for ideas on computers, since most of his customers look at his computer rack and instantly want to hide it in some distant back room.

AJ@PR
11-25-2006, 04:11 PM
Hello guys,

1st post here... so far, these boards seem great! :)

I was reading this thread, and enjoying the 9X link too...

When I remembered Digital Tigers...

Check them out...
HomePage
http://www.digitaltigers.com/index.shtml

My current wish
http://www.digitaltigers.com/zenview-powerscape-ultrahd.shtml
http://www.digitaltigers.com/images/zv-powerscape-ultrahd_rf700x250.jpg

Peace !

-AJ

Crimson Sky
11-25-2006, 05:07 PM
I hate you

:D

I gotta question actually... I want to take apart my two monitors and put them in a dual monitor frame. Do they sell those? *I would rather not take them apart actually, but if its unavoidable...

-SF

EDIT:
Also, I just showed my younger brother your creation Crimson. He dropped his jaw and said you we're messed up lol

Welcome AJ!! Yeah Digital Tiger has some very nice displays and frames.

And yeah you can get dual monitor frames--juts make sure that your monitor has a removable base--the mounting plates on the backs of most flat panels are standardized these days.

OvRiDe
11-25-2006, 08:52 PM
I have always thought these were pretty awsome looking..

http://www.l-computer.com/monitors/athens/features/athens_2.jpg
Go-L Athens (http://www.l-computer.com/monitors/athens/features/index.htm)

But THIS (http://www.plastk.net/highres/24mon/) setup is pretty amazing as well. It appears to do pretty good as you can see on the video page (http://www.plastk.net/highres/videos/).

Airbozo
11-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Ok, I got one better for quake:

http://brighton.ncsa.uiuc.edu/~prajlich/caveQuake/

Displays the size of a wall and you can set it up to play in a corner. Visuals to the left, visuals to the right and even below (and if you have enough $$, 6 sided).

chedabob
11-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Im not a big fan of multi-screen setups, cos of the damn bezels, and even without them, you get nasty lines inbetween the screens. Id rather just have one big ass screen, with a slightly lower resolution, than 3 or 4 smaller ones.

Airbozo
11-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Im not a big fan of multi-screen setups, cos of the damn bezels, and even without them, you get nasty lines inbetween the screens. Id rather just have one big ass screen, with a slightly lower resolution, than 3 or 4 smaller ones.

That is why I posted the cave quake link. I hate the bezel lines too, but then again I was spoiled by a 10' high x 27' wide screen run by 3 barco projectors. There was also a nifty little device called and "edge blender" (not the product name, but the functionality name). It allows those 3 barcos to display an image from 3 different sources (usually the same computer) and to "seam" the images together. When properly setup anyone besides myself or another projector engineer would _never_ be able to tell where one projector ended and another took up. The image was "perfectly" split into 3 screens with no line or overlap noticeable.

Of course you could always tear into some lcd displays to reduce the lines between them. You would have to shop around for the lcds that display right to the edge of the glas, remove all the bezels and line em up. At most you would have ~1/4" gap. That is still pretty noticeable, but better. IBM was working on a display that was one sheet of lcd material that took 4 inputs. It took some time, but once everything was color balanced you could barely notice any line or split in the image. It really just depended on how much time you were willing to take to align the colors and brightness.

chedabob
12-01-2006, 10:17 AM
That would be sweet.

Id love a 1080p projector, but they are hugely expensive. Most I could prolly afford is a 32inch 720p lcd.

isunktheship
12-01-2006, 07:45 PM
I would love it if they made surround screens. Imagine playing fear with surround sound, and you hear something behind you, when you look theres that chick standing there. WooOooOo

jdbnsn
04-26-2007, 03:55 PM
I have a question for Airbozo,

You seem to know alot about setting up multiple displays. I am running 2 ATI 1900's in Crossfire, so there are two DVI ports unused backk there. I know I can't run multiple displays with Crossfire enabled, but I was wondering how easy it is to install another display and have it function independently from the other. (kind of like how Crimson's LCD on Project Skunkworks shows the instrument panel) I currently run WinXP Media Center 2005 and what I was thinking of is using a second smaller monitor off to the side to watch TV or movies on while the main screen is showing the desktop or playing a game. Is this a pretty simple setup? The manuals and even FAQ on ATI's website aren't all that clear. Thanks!
Jon

chaksq
04-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Awsome. Yet another great use for a cluster.

Airbozo
04-26-2007, 05:27 PM
I have a question for Airbozo,

You seem to know alot about setting up multiple displays. I am running 2 ATI 1900's in Crossfire, so there are two DVI ports unused backk there. I know I can't run multiple displays with Crossfire enabled, but I was wondering how easy it is to install another display and have it function independently from the other. (kind of like how Crimson's LCD on Project Skunkworks shows the instrument panel) I currently run WinXP Media Center 2005 and what I was thinking of is using a second smaller monitor off to the side to watch TV or movies on while the main screen is showing the desktop or playing a game. Is this a pretty simple setup? The manuals and even FAQ on ATI's website aren't all that clear. Thanks!
Jon

Yes it is easy. I have setup systems with 2 cards and 3 monitors. Two of them were just cloned desktops, and the other was for menu's and commands. All you have to do is plug it in and assign it as either a clone or a second desktop (extended I think). I would have to play around with my setup here at work to determine the correct setup for 3 monitors. I know I recently found an article on M$'s website explaining how to assign certain programs to certain monitors as well, so when you double click on a program it will _always_ start on monitor x, even if it is in the startup folder. This is how the HTPC's use the touch screen panels some have. I will try and find the article again (I should have it bookmarked but I don't).

Airbozo
04-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Awsome. Yet another great use for a cluster.

Visual clusters use a different method than windows does. The master node hands out tasks for each slave node, to tell them what to show (Way more complicated than that). The master also keeps the slaves in sync so even if one system is slower, all systems switch frame buffers at the same time. ATI and nVidia both have a hardware sync option for their high end cards that takes the load off the master node. The master node then only has to keep track of the viewing portal (what the software/hardware determine what you should see) and communications.

jdbnsn
04-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Thanks man! Wow, I just +repped you and see that there is a sixth box!

Moofaa
04-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Hmmm now you guys have me worried. Is it that hard to set up a dual-screen system? I was considering it for my next PC, that way I can play a game on one screen, and have web browser, IM, and homework on the other.

Airbozo
04-27-2007, 01:05 PM
No it is not that hard. I am not an expert at windows multi panel setups and I am able to get my 2 monitors setup on my system at home. Really simple actually. I have not had much success at getting games to use both monitors, but that is resolution related. Mostly when I start a game, the other screen goes blank, when the game is running.

Moofaa
04-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Yikes, having one screen go blank would defeat the purpose. I want a game on one screen, other stuff on the other.

Then again, I think I can see how this would play havoc with a game that requires you to move the mouse in side-to-side sweeping motions to scroll/aim. As the mouse would run over to the second screen, and mess you up. Mebbe I will rethink the dual-screens and invest in a larger/better single monitor instead.