PDA

View Full Version : Resizing NTFS partition

.Maleficus.
11-17-2006, 08:05 AM
How do I go about doing that? On Ubuntu I have Gparted and Qtparted, but neither will let me resize my NTFS partition. I looked in the Windows partition thing but I didn't find an option to resize.

SgtM
11-17-2006, 09:38 AM
The best way to do it would be to reformat/repart. That may not be an option for you. In windows, you could use a program called Partition Magic. Not sure about linux.

ajmilton
11-17-2006, 11:51 AM
wouldn't you have to use windows to resize? i didn't think that linux had good (any?) NTFS support since it's very closed source...
if anything will work, it'll be partition magic or something from microsoft. maybe check out msdn or google for NTFS partition management or something.

Airbozo
11-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Look at some of the utilities on UBCD4WIN. There might be a resize tool.

No matter what you use, BACKUP anything you do not want to lose.

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

nil8
11-17-2006, 01:41 PM
Resizing more often than not will cause data loss of some kind.
ubcd4win is a great tool and you should be able to resize your partition.

Your best bet is to get your data off of their and redo your windows install and ntfs partition. Clean start on partitioning is better than modifying after the fact.

NTFS can be accessed and modified just fine outside of windows. Most linux distros have ntfs browsing, but nothing more.

.Maleficus.
11-17-2006, 08:38 PM
It will really cause data loss? What if I have like 100GB free and I only need say, 20ish, or maybe only 10? I did a defragment last night so everything is nice and compacted, so will that make any difference?

I guess I could make my Ubuntu partition smaller, but I don't want to do that since it's only 40GB. Not like I'll ever have anything to fill it, I just like the security of having that much space.

I guess I'll try to resize my Ubuntu partition; I'd rather have that smaller than lose everything I have on my Windows partition. And, if I lose data on that, it doesn't really matter since I have nothing on here.