PDA

View Full Version : Spraying inside case

fudgebars
05-15-2005, 07:36 AM
Hiya this is my first post,
I want to buy this case > http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=59321
here are some more pics > http://www.modthebox.com/review296_2.shtml
As you can see from some of these pics you can see the ugly grey/white metal thing that holds the dvd drive and possibly hard drives...i haven't got a clue what its called :? Basically it looks awful and want to know if i can spray it black? I'm just checking thers no reason i scant spray it and also what paint should i use?

Thanks

Pc n00b

Frakk
05-15-2005, 11:31 AM
dirve bays? :) yes you can paint it any colour. for the paint, depends what kind of effect you want to the black. if you want it shiny and mirror-like, you will have to go a long way sanding and polishing with basecoats and all that, but if you want it plain black i think you should get away with couple layers of basecoat.

Crimson Sky
05-15-2005, 11:37 AM
Some call them the "drive cages"--including myself--there might be other names but they elude me. anyway get yourself two cans of spray paint--say Duplicolor or Plasti-Cote. Get one spray primer and one can color paint. Make sure the primer and top coat are compatible--i.e. laquer w/lacquer or enamel w/enamel paints--Don't mix brands because spray paints are mostly formulated to work together with their own brands.

Clean up the bare metal before priming with some denatured alcohol (cheap, from hardware store) and a lint-free cloth (an old cotton.poly blend tshirt is ok)because there are oils left over from the manufacturing process that will inhibit paint adhesion. Mask off places ya dont want paint with tape and scrap paper and then go to town ;) if you run into trouble just ask and i'm sure you'll find more help here.

cygnus_x_1
05-15-2005, 07:00 PM
sounds good Crim...the only thing i might add it to give the surface a light sanding before painting (primer and color coats) so you dont end up getting 'fish eyes' in the paint.

Zeus
05-15-2005, 07:37 PM
so you dont end up getting 'fish eyes' in the paint.

Please splain

cygnus_x_1
05-15-2005, 08:22 PM
fish eyes are when the paint doesnt bond to the surface due to the surface being too smooth for the paint to grab (looks like little circles where the paint wont ahdere no matter how many coats you spary). the sanding is just an extra step to ensure a better finish. you dont have to sand too much, just enough to kock down some of the finish on the piece you are sparying. then follow with the alcohol as Crim stated.

Zeus
05-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Ah!!!

fudgebars
05-16-2005, 12:52 PM
Thanks for all the help guys :)
Is there actualy any part inside the case i cant spray?? Also what do you think on colour to spray it? Black, blue, silver...white?? :rolleyes:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=7531335694&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X2dhbGxlcnk=&product_uid=59321

Thanks

Cwrench
05-16-2005, 05:29 PM
It might be smart to take apart (and tape) the PSU, if you wonted to pray that. Things might not work right if you painted the insides of such things.

nil8
05-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Don't put spray paint directly on ANY electrical component of your computer. Ever.

As for not being able to spray any part of the case, it's up to you. Is it really needed to spray inside if you're the only person seeing it?

If you have a window unit, go to town. Just realize that the color of your paint and window can conflict and you should consider the outcome of the displayed color outside the case first. Most people don't.

fudgebars
05-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Don't put spray paint directly on ANY electrical component of your computer. Ever.

heehee i know that :)
Well im not sure on black, because im going to have a blue cathode light in it and black wont rally reflect much light...maybe silver.... :?

Again thanks for all you help.

Zeus
05-18-2005, 12:11 AM
you could go for that duplicolor chrome paint

nil8
05-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Black and silver are used commonly. If you like these colors, go for it, but your best bet for sheer reflectiveness is to have a foil wrap for your cathode. By this I mean take an emergency blanket (you know, the highly reflective stuff), cut yourself 2" or so on each side of your cold cathode and take it under where you plan to put your CCFL. This way it won't disrupt the paint job inside and your light will be intense enough that few people will notice the foil behind it.

Pascs
05-18-2005, 01:00 PM
you could go for that duplicolor chrome paint

That would work especially nice with a colored window

cygnus_x_1
05-18-2005, 02:20 PM
too bad its not an aluminum case. you could just grab some mother's aluminum mag wheel polish and go to town. I did that on a Chenmin case i had a while back and when finished it came out beautiful. almost chrome like. very reflective and shiny. i will try to look for pics when i get home tonight. :D

Sully
06-15-2005, 06:18 PM
I found this post, and thought I would add to it, instead of stating a new post...
Can anyone post examples of painted drive bays?
Cause I was thinking of painting mine, but not sure what it looks like :)
Thanks!

Old Picof my case, but shows color of case and bay drives (http://personal.tcu.edu/~jsullivan/NewCPUSide.jpg)

temmink
06-16-2005, 12:16 AM
You could paint the internals in matte black and then do some fine line work with some UV reactive paint and paint all the edges and corners of the cages and psu, then just get a good quality blacklight neon tube and shazzam, you get like a glowing neon cube look going.

toast07
06-16-2005, 07:13 AM
:eek: OMG...its attack of the cables inside that case, i'd suggest cleaning them up ;)