PDA

View Full Version : Gentoo

.Maleficus.
11-17-2006, 08:57 PM
As I'm learning more about Linux every day, I decided I want to try to install Gentoo. I've heard that it is a bitch to install and configure, but I think I'm up to the challenge.

Anyways, I downloaded and burned the 2006.1 InstallCD and attempted to boot it up. Attempted.

At first, I think it didn't detect my hard drive. I put it to a different SATA port and then it did detect it.

After that, it tried mounting to my /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, and /dev/sda3 (NTFS, Linux Swap, EXT3 respectively) and it wouldn't mount. I thought this might be due to me not having any open space for it, but I'm not sure. The only other distro to work on my computer is Edgy Eft, because that has the 2.6.18 kernel and that works with my mobo. I don't know what kernel Gentoo uses, so I don't know if this is a hardware or space issue. I would like to find that out before I do any resizing of anything and potentially lose some data. My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 and has the Intel ICH8 and some other SATA port. Right now I am connected to the other port (not sure what it's called). So do I need free space to install Gentoo? Should I at least be able to start the install and repartition from the installer? I thought I read that somewhere, which is why I think it might be a hardware issue. Any incite into this would be greatly appreciated.

Maleficus