PDA

View Full Version : linux

sirkillalot617
11-18-2006, 01:19 PM
microsoft r annoying me as they won let me put home edition on 2 computer so im going with linux can you tell me these programs work on it

msn
xfire
bf2142
bfme2
bfme
limewire
max payne
well basicly surport for most games

also i know were not surpose to ask this but is there any way i can get to my music file when the activasion window is up for a second so i cant get all my music off the pc

.Maleficus.
11-18-2006, 07:55 PM
Support for most games, no. Support for very few games, yes. VERY few.

Also, I have no idea what that last line is supposed to mean.

TheMovement4
11-18-2006, 11:54 PM
simple andswer no. Linux wasn't made for games, I doult xfire is, but then again if it was, what would be the point havin it. I havnt been on any new or really any linux os then Fedora core, so unless they came out with a new one let me know.

Maz
11-19-2006, 12:42 AM
i use breezy badger ubuntu

run the live disk of ubuntu
find your music & burn to disk
then reformat using the regular old ubuntu install disk

^should work, if it wont please post, (i havnt used it in a while)

sirkillalot617
11-19-2006, 04:46 AM
thanks that worked like a dream now im tryin to find away to get bf2 to work on linux i mange to get the screen go blank but thats all i will keep trying though

.Maleficus.
11-19-2006, 11:28 AM
thanks that worked like a dream now im tryin to find away to get bf2 to work on linux i mange to get the screen go blank but thats all i will keep trying though
I really wouldn't keep your hopes up if I were you. I couldn't even get UT2004 (a Linux NATIVE game) to work for me. But, if you find a way, please tell how you did.

sirkillalot617
11-19-2006, 11:46 AM
will do i almost got it workin i was able to hear the music ill keep trying

Custom
11-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Yes you can run BF2 on Linux, I have it running under Debian, Cedega http://www.transgaming.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=2&meid=-1, you will need Cedega version 5.0 which has support for pixel shader 2.0 also if you have an ATI graphics card this will not work with BF2.

.Maleficus.
11-19-2006, 02:05 PM
Yes you can run BF2 on Linux, I have it running under Debian, Cedega http://www.transgaming.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=2&meid=-1, you will need Cedega version 5.0 which has support for pixel shader 2.0 also if you have an ATI graphics card this will not work with BF2.
I'd much rather use Wine, just because it's free. You may not be able to get all games working with Wine, but I'm still to cheap to pay $5 a month or whatever it is.

And, I have an ATI graphics card.

Custom
11-19-2006, 02:26 PM
I'd much rather use Wine, just because it's free. You may not be able to get all games working with Wine, but I'm still to cheap to pay $5 a month or whatever it is.

And, I have an ATI graphics card.

You can get Cedega for free but I can't remember the link.

.Maleficus.
11-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Yes, but you don't get updates. No updates means no future support, and I don't want it at all if I won't get updates to get better games running.

SilentJ
11-21-2006, 09:01 PM
I run Ubuntu Edgy on my machines I love it.
Use VMware to run most games or whatever, you can actually run Windows inside linux for those rare occasions when you want to use that horiable excuse for an OS Microsoft :D