PDA

View Full Version : Alienware: Star Wars Edition case

TheGreatSatan
05-16-2005, 03:49 PM
Not a huge fan of premods, but I love what Alienware is doing

http://img17.paintedover.com/uploads/17/star_wars.jpg (http://paintedover.com/uploads/show.php?loc=17&f=star_wars.jpg)

Frakk
05-16-2005, 03:55 PM
is it a paintjob or a decal? i would say decal because paintjobs like this are expensive :D

MrSlacker
05-16-2005, 03:56 PM
with their price, i think they can afford a paint job

jonopaul01
05-16-2005, 04:05 PM
It's beautiful. But I would not want it on my desk. Actually I would not like any Alienware on my desk. It is probably because with the height of my desk and the huge size of the Alienware, it towers over me. Still, wish I had the money for one.
But the art is absoloutely amazing. I can't see how that could be a paint job. it must be some kind of decal or the best paint job I have ever seen.

The Grendel
05-16-2005, 05:14 PM
That would be a really cool paint job.... If someone had thought of it for a unique case.

Alienware isn't going to invest the money to have that painted on each and every case though. It's just one more marketing idea that probably jacks up the price of their allready over priced systems.

It is a really nice decal though.

-Grendel

Zeus
05-16-2005, 08:30 PM
indeed. It is also different on the other side and they have another option too.

=gnz=craft
05-16-2005, 10:38 PM
Heh i like the look of the case, and i love alienware for their high performance parts. I just got their alienware area51-m 7700 laptop and i found out they were coming out with the star wars edition cases. If i had known that it might have persuaded me to diss the laptop and get the cases. Only bad thing is they probably woulnd't stay in that good of shape at my house....

MrSlacker
05-16-2005, 10:56 PM
Heh i like the look of the case, and i love alienware for their high performance parts. I just got their alienware area51-m 7700 laptop and i found out they were coming out with the star wars edition cases. If i had known that it might have persuaded me to diss the laptop and get the cases. Only bad thing is they probably woulnd't stay in that good of shape at my house....
when you build yourself, you can get better parts. i love how people say that if its Alienware, its high performance... they charge you like $20 for installing an overclocking software thats free.....

Zeus
05-17-2005, 01:46 AM
I would say the same for Falcon Northwest. They are very overpriced for the product. Yeah it is very nice looking and it means you don't have to bother with doing all the work and testing yourself, but hey, I enjoy doing it myself.

Ever since the first system I built from scratch, I will never buy a pc in a box again. At least not for me. Only way I would do that is if it were for family members. So I would not have to support them. There is much to be said for being able to tell them, Call Tech Support ;)

Pascs
05-17-2005, 01:54 AM
Nice looking case but for me the trouble with a good pre-modded case is that there is little satisfaction from it.
My current case is a Casearts Matrix with Mystery paint effect - fantastic case but I don't want to hack it about as it is too good. Everyone says 'wow what a great case' but it is nowhere near as satisfying as doing it all yourself.

Frakk
05-17-2005, 03:44 PM
I agree with u guys. Alienware pc's are expensive and pre-modded. you can have the same performance parts for a fraction of the price and mod it the way u like it and save money. this is a modding site and i believe pre-modded stuff should go somewhere else :D

Memnon
05-17-2005, 05:44 PM
A blatent attempt to get a piece of the StarWars merchandise craze. That said, I must say that I am impressed with the artwork on the case. The darthvader side is definitely the better of the two in my opinion. If someone was looking into buying an Alienware PC already, then this would definitely be a good choice. If not, then you'd be a sucker for falling for a cheap marketing ploy.

MisterChief
05-17-2005, 07:20 PM
Star Wars Episode III has got to be the most highly advertised movie in history. It's on everything from Cheetos to computer cases to, well, practically everything else! I just don't understand why people even bother buying Alienware computers. Ahh, the price of ignorance... *sniffle*

Whisp
05-18-2005, 09:10 AM
Im not big on the pre built systems either. As for the decal, if you seriously wanted that or something similar without painting you can just get a custom casewrap.

Thallion
07-09-2005, 09:11 AM
I know this thread is long dead - but I was searching for star wars case mods and hit it, and wanted to throw in my 2 cents: Love the alienware Starwars cases, but they do charge too much for their PC's. They are using sticker/decal/transfers of digital images.

Also, now that it has been out a while I have found many good high res versions of the source art they used to create those images. Was thinking about doing my own version with Heros on one side villians on the other (IE ObiWan, Yoda, Mace, and Maybe Luke if I can find a better single image of him on the "light" side, and Darth (and maybe Palpatine) on the dark side, though I like the just darth image with the red background). Then instead of using the graphics for the sabers I was thinking of using either EL wire, or cutouts with backlighting for the sabers themselves.

PS if you want to see some of the source images go here: Star Wars Archive (http://www.aptirrelevance.com/sw-archive/index.php)

Both the hires and the promo gallery have good images to use as bases. You can find both the images used to make up the obi/yoda side on there, and I forget where but I have found the darth with red background from another site somewhere....

It was said before in this thread that you could get a custom case wrap, And I havent priced those, but you can also use waterslide decal sheets that you can print yourself to transfer digital graphics onto a case. (I am sure thats been said before around here as well... but am new to this forum, so thought I would throw it in. )

Of course now that I have seen some of what these guys do around here, the sculptureed cases have real appeal to me as well.... who knows....Argh the hardest part of modding a case is deciding what to theme it with.