PDA

View Full Version : XP Media Center Question...

Lexonex
11-25-2006, 09:55 PM
WE SHOULD ALL GO TO OTHER BOARDS.............:banana:

SgtM
11-26-2006, 12:19 AM
I'm not 100% positive, but I think the files are saved in windows media format (.wmv) so you should be able to backup to CD or DVD or transfer across a network to your laptop and take them with you.

from the faq on microsoft's site:

What file format does Media Center record in?
Media Center uses a new file format called DVR-MS. DVR-MS creates an MPEG-2 file that includes metadata about the recorded program to be stored.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/evaluation/faq.mspx

SgtM
11-26-2006, 12:40 AM
I do have an external hard drive....could I take those files and send them to the external hard drive and then onto the laptop?....now, how to find them on my desktop first...........

Thanks for the help

np.. again, I haven't messed around with media center that much, although I do have Vista Ultimate, and it's included. I only found drivers for my capture card a few days ago. That sounds like it would work, but I'm not positive. I need to experiment more with it too.

Indybird
11-26-2006, 12:44 AM
You can only play those files on a computer with Windows Media Player 10+. They are DVR-MS file. You might need a MPEG-2 Decoder but im not sure.

I am a big time media center user, hope that helps.

Indybird
11-26-2006, 01:09 AM
Heres how I'd do it:
1) Take the recorded files and put them on your laptop
2) Open up Windows Media player
3) Open the files through the File>Open
4) Play :bunny:

SgtM
11-26-2006, 01:03 PM
How would you get the recorded files onto the laptop????

transfer across your network, flash drive, burn to cd/dvd (raw data).. same as you would transfer any other data.

ESX
11-26-2006, 03:28 PM
A lil' bit off-topic, but speaking of Media Center, are there other OS' like Media Center?

Indybird
11-26-2006, 04:56 PM
You can just transfer the files using a external hdd, flash drive, CD or DVD, whatever...

A lil' bit off-topic, but speaking of Media Center, are there other OS' like Media Center?
the closest would probably be Mac OS X, it has the whole "integrated media" idea.

Lexonex
11-26-2006, 05:21 PM
"transfer across your network, flash drive, burn to cd/dvd (raw data).. same as you would transfer any other data."--SGTM

I don't think it is like any other kind of data...yes, it allows me to burn it onto a cd or dvd.....How can I transfer (no network as of yet) via a flash drive or external hard drive when I can't find the files?

SgtM
11-26-2006, 10:10 PM
just taking a stab in the dark, but try looking under my documents --> my videos. I'll see what I can do about finding the exact location on microsofts site.

ajmilton
11-27-2006, 12:51 PM

http://www.mythtv.org

the closest would probably be Mac OS X, it has the whole "integrated media" idea.

didn't know that OSX had recording/playback capability ... eenteresting

Logic Zero
11-27-2006, 04:02 PM
"transfer across your network, flash drive, burn to cd/dvd (raw data).. same as you would transfer any other data."--SGTM

I don't think it is like any other kind of data...yes, it allows me to burn it onto a cd or dvd.....How can I transfer (no network as of yet) via a flash drive or external hard drive when I can't find the files?
Should be under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Recorded TV

SgtM
11-27-2006, 04:31 PM
http://www.mythtv.org

Is this only available for linux, or am I missing something?

ajmilton
11-27-2006, 04:40 PM
as far as i know, it's for linux distros only... there are a couple of specialized distros that are optimized/include mythtv - mythdora, knoppmyth ... a couple others as well, i think

if you buy a hauppauge tv tuner, you get some of their software that's supposed to function as a media center. i don't hear good things about it, but it runs on windows, if that's what you're looking for

Lexonex
11-27-2006, 11:28 PM
i'm telling you it is NOT like any other kind of data...can't get to it..where is the folder?...I think it is totally encrypted.......

Lexonex
11-27-2006, 11:29 PM
I did run a hauppauge on my old dell worked fine.....

Indybird
11-27-2006, 11:30 PM
i'm telling you it is NOT like any other kind of data...can't get to it..where is the folder?...I think it is totally encrypted.......

So wait, you don't know where media center saves the files?

and i know it is a different kind of file: its a DVR-MS file

Lexonex
11-27-2006, 11:32 PM
Thats right..I don't know where this "file" is that contains TV content I recorded using my Media Center........

Lexonex
11-27-2006, 11:34 PM
I can "play" it, "delete" it etc....But, where is this "file" so I can transfer/export it?

SgtM
11-28-2006, 01:44 AM
try this location:
{system drive}:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\Recorded TV

Indybird
11-28-2006, 04:58 PM
sorry, didn't know that you didn't know where they were...

ESX
11-28-2006, 06:00 PM
BTW, I've found an alternative (a question I've asked before). Here: http://www.team-mediaportal.com/

ajmilton
11-28-2006, 06:03 PM
haha this is awesome

its requirements: XP SP2 or MCE.

now, if you >have< MCE, why bother getting a different media center program? :P

such amusement.

i'd never heard of this one before, but i'm going to check it out. their website looks nice, at least :P

Logic Zero
12-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Should be under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Recorded TV

Please read posts before posting more !

I told you already!:rolleyes: :eek: :eek: :eek: :p

chedabob
12-10-2006, 05:07 PM
BTW, I've found an alternative (a question I've asked before). Here: http://www.team-mediaportal.com/

Media portal is mega buggy.

ESX
12-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Media portal is mega buggy.
Thats what you get for free software :P

Cool1Net6
12-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Thats what you get for free software :P
Its just not ready for prime time yet.

If I recall, those DVR-MS files are huge. Something like 1.82GB for an episode of Family Guy or 3.38GB for an hour long episode of House. Is there any way to shrink those files or somehow get them to be smaller? That sounds like an awful large file to transfer over a network.

-Cool-