PDA

View Full Version : Whoo! 802.11g, finally!

Mitternacht
11-26-2006, 10:21 AM
Just got a wireless network in my house for the 3 computers. My parents' Compaq, Ol' Beater and my Thinkpad are wireless. A little harder to set up than I expected, but it works solidly.

sirkillalot617
11-26-2006, 10:56 AM
err exuse me for asking buts whats that got to do with modding

Mitternacht
11-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Well, I assumed this was the right place to post this, and I consider it a mod because I can take my Thinkpad anywhere in my house now, with internet

USERX15
12-04-2006, 08:32 PM
wtf? Your posting about your new wireless network in a computer/case mod forum. Hehe, maybe if the wavelengths of the wireless signals were altered some way, it could be a mod....?

nil8
12-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Networking is getting computers to communicate, so it's valid. I don't think it's a mod, but this isn't my topic.
Congrats on getting it working. Wireless can be a real hassle when it wants to be.

USERX15
12-06-2006, 08:29 PM
I plan on setting up a 802.11n wireless network around valentines. And yes, N.

gaz_the_chav
12-06-2006, 08:44 PM
wtf? Your posting about your new wireless network in a computer/case mod forum.

I don't mean to be rude but I really do not think you are in a postion to say this.

-gaz

USERX15
12-07-2006, 08:16 PM
I don't mean to be rude but I really do not think you are in a postion to say this.

-gaz

Excuse me? Why exactly would you say that? I was just pointing out what he was doing. Oh sorry, do I have to wait a certain amount of time before I start to give advice?

I dont mean be rude, but I dont think you should be telling others what position they are in, and what they should and should not be able to say.

-josh

AKA_RA
12-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Good job setting up a network. I agree, it isn't much of a mod, but jeez guys, who rattled your cage? if someone posts something and you don't like it, why are you getting so bent out of shape? no ones forcing you to read it, responding with such a negative attitude towards someone who feels they just accomplished something makes you look like an ass. show some respect towards fellow members, especially if your a new member.

USERX15
12-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Agreed, dont get me wrong, im proud that he set his network up nicely, I was just pointing out that it was posted in the wrong section. Thats all.

Oh and, ahem, uh, where do you go to change user info like location and stuff like that. Im familiar with Vbulletin style but every forum has it set up differently.

Mitternacht
12-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Good job setting up a network. I agree, it isn't much of a mod, but jeez guys, who rattled your cage? if someone posts something and you don't like it, why are you getting so bent out of shape? no ones forcing you to read it, responding with such a negative attitude towards someone who feels they just accomplished something makes you look like an ass. show some respect towards fellow members, especially if your a new member.

Exactly. I didn't care; let them run away with the topic. It served for my purpose. Wireless is something I've always wanted, and yes its kinda a mod because not everyone can do it.

AKA_RA
12-07-2006, 11:53 PM
the word mod implies that you modified something out of its stock settings/appearance/etc. before they smell blood and try to tearing that comment to ribbons, perhaps you should let us know if theres something we missed. otherwise i stand by the statement that a wireless network is not a mod, just a wireless network.

nil8
12-08-2006, 02:30 AM
Anyone have a firehose? I smell a flame war starting.
If he setup his router in a unique way, isn't that tweaking software? Could that be considered a mod?

What I'm getting at is that I haven't seen a definition for modding. There's no reason to argue over it.

Some people have no trouble setting up things because they have practice or get lucky. Some of the people around here are doing these things for the first time and we should congratulate them on their accomplishments and help them with their problems, not flame them.

This topic has obviously been seen by at least 1 admin of this forum and hasn't been moved. Don't argue about it. Just let it go.

Omega
12-08-2006, 02:39 AM
I don't have a firehose, but I do have a huge-ass extinguisher.

isunktheship
12-08-2006, 04:01 AM
Well, while a stock network isn't a mod, this little convo has brough up a new idea.

Why not mod a network router? Neone? :santa: <--tight.

AKA_RA
12-08-2006, 04:13 AM
i modded mine. i threw it into a wall until it worked -_-

technically its not stock, but technically it doesnt exactly...um...

whats that word?...oh yeah, work

-_-

gaz_the_chav
12-08-2006, 07:27 AM
Excuse me? Why exactly would you say that? I was just pointing out what he was doing. Oh sorry, do I have to wait a certain amount of time before I start to give advice?

I dont mean be rude, but I dont think you should be telling others what position they are in, and what they should and should not be able to say.

-josh

No I did not mean that all I was saying was I thought it was very harsh the way that you put it - I meant the whole wtf at the start of your post.

Sorry If you and or someone else took offense about what I said but I personally thought I was justified.

-gaz

Mitternacht
12-08-2006, 08:01 AM
Eh, holy hell, ok, forget I even made this...

gaz_the_chav
12-08-2006, 08:19 AM
No sorry your right sorry about that.

I have not actually congrats you on your wireless network. I have qualifications in computing and it took me long enough to set up my wierless network when I was first setting it up. :up:

-gaz

b4i7
12-08-2006, 09:13 AM
heh....it took me a long time to get mine working where im at....had to take the time and figure out why my laptop wouldnt connect.....good job..

USERX15
12-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Hmm, howbout you install more powerful antennas and then it will be a 'modded router' lol. Could increase your range and speed too. Or you could put a 30 or 40mm fan in it, to keeps temps down lol.

AJ@PR
12-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Hmm, howbout you install more powerful antennas and then it will be a 'modded router' lol. Could increase your range and speed too. Or you could put a 30 or 40mm fan in it, to keeps temps down lol.
The fans are a interesting idea.

I believe, I'm not sure, but I think that it's illegal in the US (check FCC) to but an amplifier into your radio equipment (exceptions noted).

And... again, I'm not sure (we'll have to wait on input from more savvy forum goers), but I don't think that an amplifier will increase your speed. I would think that it would actually lower your speed, as there's yet more things to cross for the 0s and 1s.

You could always buy some Monster Air for your WiFi...

Mitternacht
12-08-2006, 09:26 PM
They also sell range extenders at Walmart.

AKA_RA
12-08-2006, 10:52 PM
im not 100% sure, but i don't think its illegal to put stronger antennas on a router, i can understand why it might be though. im pretty sure you can buy antennas from places like newegg, etc. but there are guides out there that show you how to make things like omni-directional antennas out of co-axle cable(i think thats what they used) that may or may not be FCC approved, lol

Aero
12-08-2006, 11:05 PM
im not 100% sure, but i don't think its illegal to put stronger antennas on a router, i can understand why it might be though. im pretty sure you can buy antennas from places like newegg, etc. but there are guides out there that show you how to make things like omni-directional antennas out of co-axle cable(i think thats what they used) that may or may not be FCC approved, lol

theres a limit to the power of Wifi transmitters, I believe its restricted to 5 Watts in the US.