PDA

View Full Version : Want to get a new PC case, need opinions

Vortex99
11-27-2006, 04:28 PM
My current PC case is a Raidmax Ninja, I bought it a few months ago and I just don't like it. It has a window and all, which is nice, but its just too "flashy" for me, isn't a case that I really like to look at anymore. I've been looking at cases and do not want to spend a lot of money, and these are the two options I've found...

Aerocool Aeroengine II
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811196019

and the Enermax Chakra
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811124116

The enermax doesn't have a window but it got really good reviews. These are the only cases I could find for under $75 dollars. If I bought the aerocool i'd have to purchase two 120 mm fans for the side, the enermax I'd be able to transfer everything over. I was wanting opinions on which one is the better one, and if anyone knows of any case thats around the $70.00 range to please let me know.

Indybird
11-27-2006, 11:33 PM
If I had to get one of those I'd chose the Aerocool but this case is very good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811170027

Vortex99
11-28-2006, 12:34 AM
Ouch..I do not like that case at all..looks very ugly..the Aerocool user reviews shows signs of very, very cheap front door and the front fan makes a wobbling noise. My idea for a case is to make it very, very silent. So far I have the AC Freezer 64 pro and a arctic fan 12 exhaust fan. I'm looking at cooler master cases now..

Zephik
11-28-2006, 01:38 AM
Aerocool for sure.

intergalacticman
11-28-2006, 06:54 PM
if you want a nice case, get a lian li or a thermaltake armor/ or shark,
but as far as 70$ cases go, i would get an old 90's era full tower case and modify it, i did, and it cost 40$ for the 3 fans, fangrills, top and side windows and fan grills. but if you dont have tools, i can build you one for 40$ or..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811209020

Omega
11-29-2006, 01:43 AM
if you want a nice case, get a lian li or a thermaltake armor/ or shark,
but as far as 70$ cases go, i would get an old 90's era full tower case and modify it, i did, and it cost 40$ for the 3 fans, fangrills, top and side windows and fan grills. but if you dont have tools, i can build you one for 40$ or..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811209020

40$ for fans, fangrilles, and some windows is bollocks. I could pull that off with 30$ or even 20$ if you gave me enough time to find the stuff. Hell, I can get a 18in * 18in sheet of plexi for 15$ -- and that's the expensive part.

Honestly, I don't think Plexiglass and fans make a real mod. Anybody can put a window in, and even more people can change a fan. Now, if you're doing custom metal/wood/bondo/fibreglass resin/plastic/animatronic/etc work, then we're really talking.

Fear
11-29-2006, 03:26 PM
Buy a nice lian-Li, They have nice strait design, and if you want to add just a little bit of touch to it, mod it.

isunktheship
11-29-2006, 04:17 PM
Yeah, the cool thing about Lian-Li's is that they come with everything a case should have, while the case itself a blank slate. You can do what you want with the case to make it look great, and still have a few of the stock parts that you like.

I bought the Raidmax Smilodon, and I'm loving it.. it's almost a pre-modded case though. I can still think of things to do to it though :)

progbuddy
11-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Try a cooler master centurion. They're roomy, durable, and they look good for a low price (42 bucks, last I checked). They also come with a 120 mm fan for the rear.

Omega
11-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Try a cooler master centurion. They're roomy, durable, and they look good for a low price (42 bucks, last I checked). They also come with a 120 mm fan for the rear.

Hell, I suggest pretty much any CM Case. And if you look hard enough -- although this might not be universal -- it might even have a fan for the HD's!

intergalacticman
11-29-2006, 07:37 PM
40$ for fans, fangrilles, and some windows is bollocks. I could pull that off with 30$ or even 20$ if you gave me enough time to find the stuff. Hell, I can get a 18in * 18in sheet of plexi for 15$ -- and that's the expensive part.

Honestly, I don't think Plexiglass and fans make a real mod. Anybody can put a window in, and even more people can change a fan. Now, if you're doing custom metal/wood/bondo/fibreglass resin/plastic/animatronic/etc work, then we're really talking.

true true, but i dont have a credit card, so i cant order stuff online, so i only have microcenter and homedepot so yeah. i would also revert an old radio with alot of dials and stuff, or some antiquated peice of technology, into a retro styled case. furthermore, case design also relies on the type of cooling used, such as liquid cooling, you need a space to put the radiator, so an matx case would be too small. i personally think that premade cases are overpriced, so custom is the way to go.

intergalacticman
11-29-2006, 07:38 PM
Buy a nice lian-Li, They have nice strait design, and if you want to add just a little bit of touch to it, mod it.\
lain li's are superb, but are more expensive than 70$

Omega
11-29-2006, 07:55 PM
true true, but i dont have a credit card, so i cant order stuff online, so i only have microcenter and homedepot so yeah. i would also revert an old radio with alot of dials and stuff, or some antiquated peice of technology, into a retro styled case. furthermore, case design also relies on the type of cooling used, such as liquid cooling, you need a space to put the radiator, so an matx case would be too small. i personally think that premade cases are overpriced, so custom is the way to go.

mATX isn't too small for WCing, there's tons of WC'd mATX's and I even have a buddy who brings a WC'd Qpack (mATX case) to LAN's quite often.

You don't need a bank account or credit card to get things from the internet. Well, you do need a credit card for the most part, but that's easy. Go to Ralphs/Safeway/etc and they should sell something like "Visa universal gift debit cards", you can buy preset amounts like 25$ or whatever, then register the card for online use, and voila, the internet is your shopping mall (or modding mall, in this case).

I've done it more than once, so I know it works ;)

Vortex99
11-30-2006, 05:11 PM
I have been looking for five days now for a case and cannot find anything to my liking. I am still trying to find a case with a window, good cooling, and not too fancy. Right now I have an X2 3800+ oc'd to 2.5GHz running at 27C idle in my current case and do not want to lose these temps...still no luck..