PDA

View Full Version : Optimus Keyboard Update

isunktheship
11-30-2006, 04:35 AM
Remember the optimus keyboard? The mini-three was released a few months ago, and they promised by the end of this year they would have a price for the optimus.

The time has come.

(oh and as a reminder/update if you didn't know, the optimus isn't in color!*)
*yet. Later models of the board will be in color.

The company behind optimus mentioned that the board would cost as much as a high end cell phone. To users in the US, a "high end" cell phone is about $310, that's how much a new KRZR costs. I thought, well, if a color monitor costs about $200 dollars, this thing will probably cost at least 2 or 3 times that; $400 to $600.

My guesses were completely wrong.

Final asking price for the optimus (no color) keyboard? 1200. That's in dollars, not rupees. (fortunately the price will drop to <$1K in '07)

What do you guys think? Worth it or not? Is anyone going to buy this?

Original News Article (http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/29/optimus-103-keyboard-demands-1-200-pricetag-yes-you-read-th/)

SgtM
11-30-2006, 11:02 AM
NO WAYYY! I could build a helluva system for just the price of this keyboard alone!

DaveW
11-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Those Optimus guys are clever advertisers. But i wouldn't buy a lifeboat from them if i was stuck on the titanic.

I don't trust them one little bitty.

-Dave

ajmilton
11-30-2006, 01:15 PM
your remark is wonderful, dave, considering the thread originator is "isunktheship"
i chuckled. :P

d_stilgar
11-30-2006, 05:20 PM
That's ridiculous. First off, most people are going to know what their hotkeys are, so this keyboard would be for a mod or showing off to people, not as a real benefit. That said, b/w doesn't even exist anymore, like anywhere, so it is not going to be a very good way for me to show off now is it? Finally, $1200 is way too much. I could build a similar keyboard for about that much, and mine would be in color, not as nics in some other aspects, but color.

nil8
11-30-2006, 06:16 PM
It's primarily for rich people or rich companies. The only way the optimus is useful is for impatient rich people.

I'm with Dave on this one. Screw that company and screw that keyboard.

DaveW
11-30-2006, 10:01 PM
I'm with Dave on this one. Screw that company and screw that keyboard.

I think a lot of people here feel the same way. It's been around since something like 1998 and only now is it being 'released'. For a long time, people said it was a hoax, and i don't even know if they were wrong for certain. If it is, it's the most elaborate rip-off I've seen in a long time.

It's an over-hyped piece of tack that i can live without.

-Dave

Omega
12-01-2006, 02:42 AM
I think a lot of people here feel the same way. It's been around since something like 1998 and only now is it being 'released'. For a long time, people said it was a hoax, and i don't even know if they were wrong for certain. If it is, it's the most elaborate rip-off I've seen in a long time.

It's an over-hyped piece of tack that i can live without.

-Dave

Amen. I'd rather spend the time to learn the shortcuts than spend the money to see them. This keyboard seems like a cool concept and maybe even practical if it was cheaper but ****, 1200$? That's too much -- I don't care if the keyboard comes with a Thai Brothel for that much -- I'm not buying it.

Well, if it came with a Thai Brothel I might buy it for 1200$, but you get what I mean.

isunktheship
12-01-2006, 03:48 AM
Just a random idea, I was thinking of a better replacement than this board, so I looked at the innovative designs that have appeared recently.

The Zboard is a great idea, you can lay in new keysets at the drop of a hat (and by hat i mean $25 + 30 seconds).

Expansion boards are also good ideas for gaming/photoshop/...w/e else you want.

None of those really hits the "fully customizable" mark. Since we are talking about LCD's how about this:

An LCD touch screen, that will be used as a keyboard. All that it would take is for someone to produce a keyboard shaped screen, and then a program to design your board. No buttons, full color, and it's as expensive as a big touch screen, which I would say is definately less than $1.2k.

Yay or nay?

nil8
12-01-2006, 06:32 AM
I cannot in any frame of mind say yes to spending over 100 dollars on a keyboard. Unless it comes with a thai brothel. ;)

DaveW
12-01-2006, 07:04 AM
An LCD touch screen, that will be used as a keyboard. All that it would take is for someone to produce a keyboard shaped screen, and then a program to design your board. No buttons, full color, and it's as expensive as a big touch screen, which I would say is definately less than $1.2k.

Yay or nay?

Hmm...interesting point. We're actually studying keyboard alternatives in HCI at the moment. Looking at some of the strange ones that PhD students have come up with over the last few years, including a ball that you roll around to put words on the screen. I know it sounds weird, but it kinda' works.

-Dave

isunktheship
12-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Looking at some of the strange ones that PhD students have come up with over the last few years, including a ball that you roll around to put words on the screen. I know it sounds weird, but it kinda' works.

Woah! My friend and I used to joke about a keyboard pipe that is either positioned horizontally or vertically on your desk, with keys that wrap around it. One possibility would be dual vertical "pipe" keyboards (kinda like holding two joysticks). It might not be effective, but it looks like your saving the universe every time you write an essay.

intergalacticman
12-04-2006, 09:30 PM
probably only 2% of the gaming community. and thats only the gaming community, wich is like 0.005% of the world population. so in other words, NO ONE WILL BUY IT. in the capitalist society we live it, a force exists called suppy and demand. it is the same force that hindered the PS3. sure some hard core enthusiasts will want it, but the demand just isnt there. trying to pass off the optimus for 1200$ is like trying to sell an old jar of pickles for 20$

AKA_RA
12-04-2006, 11:10 PM
keyboard smeyboard...

i want me one of these (http://www.xoxide.com/wolfking-warrior-usb-keypad-black.html)

i can understand if it was used by some sort of professional graphics designer, or 3D modeler, something like that. they could likely get a lot of use out of it. i love the idea, just not practical for me. i would, however, like an alternative version. like that same keypad i linked, and have the standard keys durable unlit, then have special functions light up.

imagine in WoW having a key on your keyboard light up as soon as th ecool down on your spell is up, then all you have to do is hit the button that lit up.

now that i would buy^_^

Omega
12-05-2006, 02:13 AM
keyboard smeyboard...

i want me one of these (http://www.xoxide.com/wolfking-warrior-usb-keypad-black.html)

i can understand if it was used by some sort of professional graphics designer, or 3D modeler, something like that. they could likely get a lot of use out of it. i love the idea, just not practical for me. i would, however, like an alternative version. like that same keypad i linked, and have the standard keys durable unlit, then have special functions light up.

imagine in WoW having a key on your keyboard light up as soon as th ecool down on your spell is up, then all you have to do is hit the button that lit up.

now that i would buy^_^

I think that Wolf King KB is bollocks. I have seen a friend with this keyboard thing like that that has software to bind things to it, and it conforms to the shape of your hand and the size is adjustable. Pretty sweet, if you ask me.

nil8
12-05-2006, 01:45 PM
This is all the keyboard I need.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16823109143

Zephik
12-05-2006, 02:06 PM
This is all the keyboard I need.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16823109143

That is a pretty nice keyboard. I hate anything white that is computer related. They are hard to keep clean. ^^

But white is good if you want to give it a quick paint job.

As far as keyboards go... I would be happy with getting one of those clear acrylic keyboards. That way I can tape off lettering and symbols on the keys and paint over it. Peel of the tape, place some different colored led's under whichever keys you want lit up with what color and there you have it. Your own cheap custom keyboard.

-SnowFire

public_eyesore
02-07-2007, 06:48 PM
it appears that someone has gotten video to work on the mini three. If you got the cash, it would make for a sweet mod.
http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/07/enterprising-hacker-gets-video-playing-on-optimus-mini-three/

simon275
02-07-2007, 11:51 PM
I guess that you could just make the image on the button change at 30 times a second and you have video.

Nice find +rep