PDA

View Full Version : Video card testing software

Airbozo
11-30-2006, 08:12 PM
Any one know of a quick and dirty test program for video cards? I am using the Nvtune app for system stressing right now.

Here's the issue: My company provides parts for several medical imaging companies around the world and one of them headquartered in Israel _NEEDS_ many nvidia quadro4 980 xgl's asap and are willing to pay a hefty price. Since all that is on the market right now are the HP oem versions (old, with the wrong firmware), we have to use nvflash to upgrade the firmware and then test them for operation before shipping them to Israel. Right now I have to fire up windows and use nvtune to verify operation. I am trying to avoid having to work this weekend and want to be able to test the cards a quick as possible. THis pretty much negates waiting for windows to load...

I have 106 cards on my bench to upgrade and test. The upgrade takes 2 minutes to flash and verify (from a floppy) and then the test takes 15 minutes (including boot time). I went and bought 2 cheap arse mobo's (ecs 848p-a7's) since we already had the procs and memory. One is setup to flash the cards, and one is setup to test them.

Any ideas would be helpful.

AKA_RA
11-30-2006, 08:41 PM
wow..106 quadros, eh? thats gotto be a pain in the ass. all i can suggest is instead of going back and forth from one PC to the other, get a partner, and set both pcs to flash them, then set both pcs to test them. or just flash them all and then test 2 at a time. i suggest investing in some aspirin as well. also, good luck.

Airbozo
11-30-2006, 08:51 PM
Yeah 106 for now (6 were just a trial run) and the company just sent a PO for 100 more which will be here for flashing and testing tuesday.

Right now it's just me working on it and I was just in the process of setting the windows system up to do the flashes (great minds and all). I have it staggered so that I am bouncing between both systems (on a kvm), and its working out pretty good. I doubt I will make the monday deadline though.

Oh well time to go home. I may just take the test stations home this weekend and do the work there (hmm overtime for working at home drinking cider and playing on the computer).

EDIT: Hehe just as I was typing the last stuff I had one go up in flames! Well, heavy smoke anyway...

AKA_RA
12-01-2006, 12:22 AM
PICS!!! send us pics! lol

ESX
12-01-2006, 04:38 AM
Do you want to test them in the means of FPS under stress or what?

Airbozo
12-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Wanting to do a simple stress test to make sure the card is functional. I don't have the time to do a proper FPS stress test in openGL and DirectX, so something simple is what I am looking for. I found some floppy based tests last night and am going to give it a try this morning. Should reduce the time to load windows...

http://freepctech.com/rode/009.shtml

EDIT: Just tested this and with no real time spent, it just kept giving me a runtime error. May be because the program has not been updated for 6 years. Oh well, nothing can be simple right?
Thanks for the help all.

ESX
12-01-2006, 03:11 PM
Try one of these: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=7
Or choose any of the utilities in the categories above.

Airbozo
12-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Try one of these: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=7
Or choose any of the utilities in the categories above.

Thanks for the link, I looked at some of those (and actually have a few), I was trying to find a cdrom based diag (or floppy), since I don't want to wait for windows to load to test every card. No other solutions right now (except expensive ones) so I am stuck waiting for windows to startup and shutdown.

I took a few pics of my test setup and will post 'em soon.

ajmilton
12-01-2006, 04:03 PM
if there's something that linux can run, you can probably make a knoppix disc and run it from that.

i don't know of any specifics offhand, but that's pretty quick booting :p