PDA

View Full Version : Some Basic Modding questions

ross863
05-19-2005, 02:45 AM
Hey 8)

I'm pretty new to case modding and this community so hello to all. I've mainly been building computers, so I geuss this is the next step up. I just have couple of basic questions to get started into modding. Firstly:

1. Do you need a Dremmel Multi-tool or somthing like? If not what's the alternative?

2. Is Plexi Glass the only glass worth using? (I think it's called Plexi)

3. What's the best/longest lasting way to colour a case?

4. Does anyone know of any tutorials of how to actually cut the case and attach the glass onto it? I imagine some sort of glue is used in most cases or screws?

5. If you were going to create any half way decent kind of Mod, what sort of price range (Pounds sterling if poss) would you be looking at e.g. Glass, some fancy lights, colour etc.

Thanks for any replies!

Ross

Xato
05-19-2005, 09:45 AM
Welcome to the community!... I saw ur location and thought u were an aussie like me... must be a melbourne in Europe too ey =P
Ok, here's my answers to ur questions... if u need anymore help just speak up.

1. Dremels / Rotary Tools aren't necessary, i've gotten by tus far without one. Jigsaws (with metal cutting blade) can usually do most basic designs with ease, and the more skilled jig sawer's can do intricate designs such as Crimsons 'Farcry' case...
Ofcourse filing and sanding should always be done afterwards, no matter what type of cutting you do.

2. The good thing about Plexi is its easy to use, and easy to cut. Its not to fragile and its light weight, which makes it valuable for keeping your PC from becoming a titanic (unless thats your mod design =P )

3. The best way to get good long lasting paint (i havent done this method much yet however) Is to do your painting several times, in small amoutns, and sand the job each time... This builds your case up to a very flat, and shiny surface... Then once the final coat is on, usually a clear coat is put on over the top.
There's a few tuts around for it, there might even be one in these forums... but i couldn't be bothere looking =P so here's one i remember from www.modthebox.com
http://www.modthebox.com/paintguide.shtml

4. There's SOOOO many tuts around the net these days for things like this...
Sites like twisted mods have a lot.
http://www.twistedmods.com/article.php?secid=1
just have a hunt around and search in google for some mod tutorial sites.
And yeh, there are several ways to go about attaching the window glass, each tutorial goes about it a diff way.

5. Not all mods are expensive (providing you have tool capable of doing them)
For instance, most window mods are very cheap... a little plexi and a hole doesn't cost much. Putting pretty lights behind the hole can be xpensive at times though.
If you have a case and slowly mod away at it... Cost doesn't seem like much.
But if you do designs from the start, and buy a case specifically to mod to your designs, it can get expensive. just have a look at www.xoxide.com for US prices on mod parts.
Its mainly when people get into building whole new computers that the cost comes in. Tho some single components can be expensive... (LCD displays, custom etches etc) Lots of factors come into cost.

I hope some of my ramblings have helped, hope to see some awesome mods from you in future =D
And once again, welcome!

Malatory
05-19-2005, 10:57 AM
One of the best LED calc I have seen on the web is here. http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz
It is helpfull when you start doing your case in bright lights.

another nice one (Non web version) is http://home.comcast.net/~x24/prog_LEDcalc.htm

for times when you wont have the computer attached to the net.

2) Plexiglass is good. Acrylic will fend off the scraches better but will drive the cost up a bit.

DRece
06-03-2005, 02:48 PM
4. There's SOOOO many tuts around the net these days for things like this...
Sites like twisted mods have a lot.
http://www.twistedmods.com/article.php?secid=1
just have a hunt around and search in google for some mod tutorial sites.
And yeh, there are several ways to go about attaching the window glass, each tutorial goes about it a diff way.

That is a good site. It helps with modding a CRT, while telling the dos and donts.

Dash20
06-03-2005, 10:28 PM
I'll also vouch for all of the mentioned tutorial sites. Some of the best around. And welcome to the forums, too! :)

4. Does anyone know of any tutorials of how to actually cut the case and attach the glass onto it? I imagine some sort of glue is used in most cases or screws?
As it was mentioned before, there are many ways to attach it. However, it all depends on the look you're going for. I personally found screws a little tacky for my tastes and tried silicone with doubtful (but somewhat hopeful) results.

Came out great! If you use silicone properly and in proper amounts, you can get a really nice bond. I'm not talking about silicone latex caulking or anything (although that might work, I haven't tried it), but 100% silicone. The brand I used is GE's Silicone II. It dries clear, and has the strongest bond to almost all surfaces. You don't need a caulk gun either; it comes in a tube, and you can find it where they sell caulk. I hope your mod(s) come(s) out great, Ross. :)

EDIT: I remembered something new about the window. If the silicone just happens to squeeze on the outer edge (and exposed) part of the window, that's okay! As many know, silicone has a tendency to stick to nothing, despite the fact that it's an adhesive. The same rule will apply provided you don't stick anything to the silicone leak. Don't wipe it; just let it dry, and (if necessary) use an exacto knife to cut along the edge and remove the excess. Happy modding. :)