PDA

View Full Version : Cold Cathodes

The boy 4rm oz
12-04-2006, 08:50 AM
I am going to remake my computer with UV reactive parts and I was wondering what sort of UV CCFL's I should use. Currently I have a Blue 30cm Flexiglow Xtreme Neon Kit

http://www.flexiglowhk.com/products/30cmColdCathode.htm

But i find it way to bright. I was thinking of either getting the same model but in UV or the duel UV 15cm ones. The reviews I've read have said that they are really bright and look almost blue. For $10 less i can get the Thermaltake version but only in the 30cm. I don't really want to see the actual CCFL or most of the light, only the effect. If anyone knows of a good brand please tell me. Thanks.

GT40_GearHead
12-04-2006, 09:49 AM
if I where you, i would buy the dual 15cm uv KIT,
this way you can cancel out unwabted whadows, and get a aqual glow

as for the direct light efect, the only way around this is to put them behind something in the case, or build a smal cover for them

ESX
12-04-2006, 12:37 PM
After seeing that CCFLs can fire up (literally) your computer, I dont think I'ma use them :/

Omega
12-05-2006, 12:49 AM
After seeing that CCFLs can fire up (literally) your computer, I dont think I'ma use them :/

Link, or it didn't happen.

SgtM
12-05-2006, 02:25 AM
Link, or it didn't happen.

http://www.casemodgod.com/ccfl_inverter_rant.htm

Omega
12-05-2006, 02:32 AM
Well, I think I'll keep my CCFL's and such, but not until I make some sort of metal cover...

The boy 4rm oz
12-05-2006, 03:08 AM
I know they can blow up and burn down my machine. If i get the duel 15cm kit I was going to have one on the case floor on the windowed side close to the edge and one on thesmall bit of exposed case next to the drive bays (on the windowed side). I have a NZXT Lexa but i just found that the flexiglow CCFL was just too bright, it ruined to glow from my LED fans. The thermaltake ones are slightly less bright.

When you say make a case for the CCFL's do you mean one out of accrylic? I have done a bit of work on plastics and frosted my own an found that it looks good. I just want to keep this as a very minimal fuss project. Could i swap some wiring around on the molex connector to make them draw less power making them put out less of a glow?

isunktheship
12-05-2006, 03:32 AM
Eee... you should have hit this up when the sale was on:
http://xoxide.com/coldcathodes.html

They had all of the dual 12" 'ers on sale for 3 bucks. I bought a red, a blue, and a uv. I'm wishing I had bought a green too, 3 bucks is nothing, especially when other sites have the same thing for $15.00. The lighting is fine, you just have to hide the tubes, that way you get the fancy accent effect. Also I've never had a tube "blow up" on me.

If you don't want that you can either get the smaller 4" cathodes, EL wire.. or you could spray UV paint into your case and get a UV light, but that wouldn't really work as well.

Omega
12-05-2006, 08:54 PM
I know they can blow up and burn down my machine. If i get the duel 15cm kit I was going to have one on the case floor on the windowed side close to the edge and one on thesmall bit of exposed case next to the drive bays (on the windowed side). I have a NZXT Lexa but i just found that the flexiglow CCFL was just too bright, it ruined to glow from my LED fans. The thermaltake ones are slightly less bright.

When you say make a case for the CCFL's do you mean one out of accrylic? I have done a bit of work on plastics and frosted my own an found that it looks god. I just want to keep this as a very minimal fuss project. Could i swap some wiring around on the molex connector to make them draw less power making them put out less of a glow?

No, I was talking about a metal cover for the inverter to be placed in -- so that if the inverter goes kaput, nothing else will. Self-contained destruction.

The boy 4rm oz
12-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Well the inverter wont be mounted near anything to valuable. just the windowed side pannel lol.

Can anyone confirm to me what the UV CCFL's look like? I know they look purple but do you really notice it. I tried googling it and it wasn't very helpfull. Could someone post a pic of what they look like once installed just to give me an idea. Thanks.

Zephik
12-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Well the inverter wont be mounted near anything to valuable. just the windowed side pannel lol.

Can anyone confirm to me what the UV CCFL's look like? I know they look purple but do you really notice it. I tried googling it and it wasn't very helpfull. Could someone post a pic of what they look like once installed just to give me an idea. Thanks.

Ever seen a black light? It's the same thing. EXAMPLE (http://www.voidedwarranty.com/PC_Case_Reviews/p2_articleid/47/p2_page/2)

If you want a certain color, then add UV reactive material of what color you want. Like cable sleeving, fans, etc.

Does that help?

-SnowFire

The boy 4rm oz
12-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Yeah it does. I know that it glows and what UV reactive material looks like. I just want to know what the CCFL'S look like in a medium case, how much light they but out and if it will ruin the glow from my fans.

The boy 4rm oz
12-06-2006, 10:36 AM
Oh i see now. So the light s arnt that bright because they have a huge affect on anything UV reactive. If thats the two UV CCFL'S in the front then It shouldn't really effect my lighting right?

jreffy
12-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Oh i see now. So the light s arnt that bright because they have a huge affect on anything UV reactive. If thats the two UV CCFL'S in the front then It shouldn't really effect my lighting right?

UV lights are not very bright. In all honesty if it weren't for the effect of making white surfaces and UV reactive materials glow you'd hardly know they were on.

Havung UV CCFL in your case won't overpower your fan lights. They will just make all your UV reactive cables glow.

The boy 4rm oz
12-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Thanks jreffy that was exactly what i wanted to hear.

Now that that is sorted i can move on to the placement of the CCFL'S. I am getting the Flexiglow UV Duel Extreme Neon Kit so I was thinking of placing one CCFL on the bottom of the case near the side pannel but out of sight. I was thinking of placing the second on the support bar that runs accross the top of the case. Any Ideas?