PDA

View Full Version : My Windows Version Is better then yours

FireFoxConn
12-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Ok so most of us know how many windows versions there are out there... but who has the coolest version? with all the different versions like 95, 98, 98se, 2000, ME, XP (home and pro), XP86, Vista, Cluster server, and the lesser known Spinoffs from third party developers... along with every single service pack available or known to be in development, who can resist bragging about who has a better Windows Version? This is were we flex those muscles. Do you know your regristry files like the back of your PC? Do you know what makes your idle process tick? well shout it out here in this forum.

Also, if you have something other then microsoft (UNIX, or MAC) or if you have questions on operating systems then go ahead and post it here.

AJ@PR
12-05-2006, 03:15 PM
I'm running Windows 3.11 !

Mitternacht
12-05-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm running Windows 3.11 !

Does DOS boot up first? lol, that was how my first computer was.

AJ@PR
12-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Does DOS boot up first? lol, that was how my first computer was.
Haha... yes.

Then, I have to type win in the 'C-prompt'. :dead:

Mitternacht
12-05-2006, 04:15 PM
AHAHA, YES!!!

That's exactly how my first computer was. I loved that thing, but not literally, so no homo. It got a virus that was on a CD that I bought from Gabriels; go figure.

progbuddy
12-05-2006, 07:06 PM
lmao. Reminds me of Pocket Linux.

SgtM
12-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Dual booting XP pro SP2 and Vista Ultimate RC1.

FireFoxConn
12-06-2006, 12:09 PM
:devious: I'm running Xp Pro Corp. service pack 3... yes i know that service pack 3 is not available to the public yet but i have hook ups :twisted:
The version i have came on a cd for corp. I.T. support and has a few extra features like tweaq ui, reg edit, file moniter, app monitor, built-in driver library, file server, and for some odd unexplainable reason... Itunes, quicktime pro, winamp 2, and media player 10.:think: i have no idea were it came from but it was given to me by a friend who said he had found it in a small box full of bussiness software. I had to clean a few junk apps. and reg. files off the original install but it was pretty good... only required 919mb hdd to install with 256mb ram (after deleting some of the extras) my computer originaly had XP Tiny, beast edition on it which was interseting to play with:)

DaveW
12-06-2006, 03:13 PM
:devious: I'm running Xp Pro Corp. service pack 3... yes i know that service pack 3 is not available to the public yet but i have hook ups :twisted:
The version i have came on a cd for corp. I.T. support and has a few extra features like tweaq ui, reg edit, file moniter, app monitor, built-in driver library, file server, and for some odd unexplainable reason... Itunes, quicktime pro, winamp 2, and media player 10.:think: i have no idea were it came from but it was given to me by a friend who said he had found it in a small box full of bussiness software. I had to clean a few junk apps. and reg. files off the original install but it was pretty good... only required 919mb hdd to install with 256mb ram (after deleting some of the extras) my computer originaly had XP Tiny, beast edition on it which was interseting to play with:)

Don't take this the wrong way...but this isn't really a software forum. Half our visitors don't know what you're talking about, and the other half don't really care.

Please don't take this as some sort of personal attack, i'm only pointing this out in case you think people are poking fun at you with their replies.

I'm running 2 main systems here, both XP SP2, one dual booting with Scientific Linux. (a somewhat unknown distro unless you've heard of CERN)

-Dave

Zephik
12-06-2006, 03:30 PM
What is "Microsoft Windows Tiny XP Beast Edition"? I've never even heard of it. I don't really pay much attention to OS's,. Mine runs, I'm happy, end of story.

-SnowFire

ESX
12-06-2006, 04:24 PM
What is "Microsoft Windows Tiny XP Beast Edition"? I've never even heard of it. I don't really pay much attention to OS's,. Mine runs, I'm happy, end of story.

-SnowFire
Prolly a repack. Like a private XP distro.

Zephik
12-06-2006, 04:54 PM
I... Don't know what that means. lol

Heck, I'm still learning hardware let alone SOFTware! ^^

-SnowFire

ESX
12-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Thats like when someone takes a WinXP distro, strips off all of the un-needed bits, adds drivers, patches or whatever, and releases it under a fancy name :)

Zephik
12-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Sounds yumolicious, Are they free?

-SnowFire

ESX
12-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Sounds yumolicious, Are they free?

-SnowFire
private ones? yea, but theyre like warez and stuff.
just find one over emule or sth.

luciusad2004
12-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Thats like when someone takes a WinXP distro, strips off all of the un-needed bits, adds drivers, patches or whatever, and releases it under a fancy name :)

Sounds rather illegal. Specially if given off for free. Probably wouldn't want to discus it, much more here. Wouldn't want to get baned

As far as me.... Im running apple OS X: 10.3.9 to be specific. Would love to upgrade when i can afford to get a new mac.

Durrthock
12-06-2006, 10:56 PM
We used to have 3.0 way back wen

simon275
12-07-2006, 12:23 AM
The evil brother of XP Home!

AJ@PR
12-07-2006, 07:46 AM
I see where you're going...

We end up with another Linux distro?

:D

onelegout
12-07-2006, 09:08 AM
Im running Xp pro sp2 on my desktop, and Vista64rc2 on my laptop (asus A6km).
Unfortunately ASUS are refusing to release vista drivers until it is on the shelves, which seems completely idiotic to me. They've got the chance to run a public beta test of their drivers in order to insure a smooth transition to vista from their 'vista ready' laptops, yet they prefer to go with a hard launch! This means that I can't use aero/glass themes and I can't do anything remotely graphics-heavy. Opening solitaire crashes it.

That said though, the file system and navigation is instant. There is no delay whatsoever whilst browsing through your files like there is in XP, which will hang for a few seconds ever so often when it gets grumpy!

Vista has impressed me greatly.
H
H

ESX
12-07-2006, 10:08 AM
I see where you're going...

We end up with another Linux distro?

:D
Er, not really :)
You end up with something like this: h**p://www.warezdownloads.info/ddlout.php?i=118725 (notice the ** :p )

Or even with something like this: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=55003

chedabob
12-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Im dual booting Vista Ultimate Retail, and Xp Pro Sp2.

FireFoxConn
12-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Don't take this the wrong way...but this isn't really a software forum. Half our visitors don't know what you're talking about, and the other half don't really care.

Please don't take this as some sort of personal attack, i'm only pointing this out in case you think people are poking fun at you with their replies.

I'm running 2 main systems here, both XP SP2, one dual booting with Scientific Linux. (a somewhat unknown distro unless you've heard of CERN)

-Dave

-SnowFire

I under stand that this is not a software forum but it is infact a forum intitled operating systems and has everything to do with OSs... with all do respect to everyone and no offense to anyone... If you dont know anything about operating systems but are somewhat computer literate you can use this thread to learn a few things... and if you dont care then dont read. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, i dont mean to.

and to answer the question, XP tiny is just a version developed by a third party... it is basically xp pro but downsized with the bare minumum needed for it to run. "beast" edition was just a patch for it that added drivers for some supported hardware. If you really dont care then you dont have to come back to this forum but i hope that many may soon find this thread helpful in selecting a version to use on their modified pc. :redface:

Thanks for the feedback... and poking.

Airbozo
12-11-2006, 02:11 PM
PC => WINXP SP2/ fedora core 5 (dual boot) (mainly for playing games, burning disks, cad work)
O2 => IRIX 6.5.25 (used mainly for web browsing/online purchasing/email)
Other PC => gentoo/ fedora core 4/ WINXP SP2 (Triple boot test system to play with while studying for my LPI exams...)

cbelmo159
12-11-2006, 05:03 PM
i think for proof everyone should post a pic of their OS disk or some other proof plus their name in the pic.

ESX
12-11-2006, 05:47 PM
i think for proof everyone should post a pic of their OS disk or some other proof plus their name in the pic.
Why would you need a proof of someones OS?

FireFoxConn
12-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Why would you need a proof of someones OS?

I dont have a problem with it... i still need to find a way to upload images without using a service like photobucket. (I hate firewalls)

ESX
12-12-2006, 11:27 AM
i still need to find a way to upload images without using a service like photobucket. (I hate firewalls)
What exactly do you mean? FTP transfer or what?

FireFoxConn
12-12-2006, 11:39 AM
i can only use the computers at school and they block all keywords in the source code that are supposed to be "inapropriate" so i cant use photobucket or any other photo hosting service. but i could use an upload service like that of myspace were it uploads to the website. Maybe if the forums had a flash or java applet image uploader. or if anyone can find me an image hosting service that wont be blocked by the school. i can finnaly get my pictures up for everything.

AKA_RA
12-12-2006, 12:22 PM
Service Pack 2 is what i run on this machine, but i have 4 Celerons and only one extra copy of XP Home, and that one doesn't want to activate.

Looks like I'm in the market for a Linux ISO. All 4 of them will likely end up running Folding@home, so I think it'll work out for the best. :D

AJ@PR
12-15-2006, 11:15 AM
or if anyone can find me an image hosting service that wont be blocked by the school. i can finnaly get my pictures up for everything.
Well, if it isn't an absurd amount of pictures, you can eMail them to me and I'll upload them for you in my photobucket account and then provide you with the links. :)

Let me know here, or a private message... which ever way you like. :)

simon275
12-15-2006, 07:07 PM
Gaming desktop => XP HOME
Old computer => XP Home & Ubuntu
My Laptop => XP Pro
Dad's Computer => XP Home
Dad's laptop => XP Pro

5 copy's of XP oh yeah.

zitwep10
12-23-2006, 06:08 PM

You know I think your friend might have lied to you, I also had that Service pack 3 XP, it came with all you mentionned and also with Acrobat reader and so on....it was a pirated version. I don't think service pack 3 exists, even for corporations.

Omega
12-23-2006, 09:06 PM
Main rig (Cavalier) -> XP Pro SP2
Secondary rig (Anihilator) -> XP Pro SP2
Old ass Gateway -> Win 98 SE
Mainfesto (Which is some P1, 300MHz, boots from CD) -> PHLAK 0.3
Serenade (The hardware that was in Argent Dawn and is now in a cardboard box) -> RedHat 9

DRece
12-23-2006, 09:29 PM
A.O.D. (Anticipation of Destruction) -> Xp Home Sp2
Little Blue -> W2k Sp4
E-3400 -> W2k Sp4
Another E-3400 -> Win98se
Old laptop -> Win98se
Another Old laptop -> Win98se

I only have Win98se for After Dark screen savers (they are so cool).

FireFoxConn
12-25-2006, 07:13 PM
You know I think your friend might have lied to you, I also had that Service pack 3 XP, it came with all you mentionned and also with Acrobat reader and so on....it was a pirated version. I don't think service pack 3 exists, even for corporations.

I dont doubt it. Everything else shows it as regular service pack 2 xp except for the system info. I might just install the regular windows xp sp2 cd because this version is giving me all kinds of problems.