PDA

View Full Version : Coolermaster window cut

Halcyon
05-19-2005, 05:17 PM
I have a black Praetorian Coolermaster case, that I love the look of, but I want to jazz up a tiny bit.

I went and ordered Coolermasters side panel, since I found one for very cheap and I don't have much space to mod in my current apartment.
Anyway, it came, and I was none to happy with it.

The window is nice, and the panel is made to fit the case, but it seems that Coolermaster cheaped out on the panels and made them out of plastic. There are metal brackets that clip onto the case when teh panel is attached, but the rest of the panel is a glossy plastic.

Now, with my case being a matte brushed alumninum, a plastic crappy shiny panel doesn't match at all.. other than the fact that it is black.

Soooo, I've been looking to replace this for some time.
I'm still not 100% that Coolermaster doesnt make one that IS alumninum, but I've ordered 2 and they're both crappy plastic.

1)So question 1 is has anyone seen a Coolermaster panel that is made out of the same aluminum as the case.

2) I do have the original and I could certainly cut it and mount the plexi from the crappy panel. Problem is, that I dont have the tools or the space really. Even if I did, I wouldn't want to ruin the stock panel with my a newbie dremel cut. I want this thing to have PERFECT cuts if it is done.
I know about computer driven cutting setups.. has anyone done anything like that?
Otherwise any suggestions for cutting the hole?
It will match the hole cut in the plastic board, a big rounded square.

Thanks in advance

Frakk
05-19-2005, 07:47 PM
you get it cut by waterjets, plasma cutters or cnc machines pretty easily and mount the plexi window in it, but if you have a dremmel with a cut-off disk and a sander bit you can easily do it yourself. after reading some tutorials and 5 mins of practice you shouldnt have any probs.

Halcyon
05-19-2005, 08:35 PM
Hi Frakk,

My only concern with the dremel is that it is my first cut, and I'm not putting those ugly rubber weather stripping window in, so any errors in the cut will show.

If i was doing straight 90 degree corners, I would probably attempt it, but the rounded edges scare me a bit. Plus if I get it cut by machine, I could probably design a nicer hole.

Do you know how much it would run for me to get something like that cut?
Would I send it someplace, or is it fairly easy to find local shops?
I'm in Boston in case you know any :)

Frakk
05-19-2005, 09:40 PM
i dont know about local shops, neither the price. if you have the dremel, learn to use it on some scrap metal. trust me its worth it. you will know how to use it plus you will have the pride of making it all by ureself. after all thatswhy we are here.

Halcyon
05-19-2005, 09:59 PM
Hmm..
It would be nice to do it myself, but my apartment is fairly small and I would like some space to be able to clamp stuff down etc.

If I did find some space would it be better to use a jigsaw instead? I'm more familiar with them, and cutting sideways seems a little odd to me.

Zeus
05-19-2005, 11:38 PM
Do you have a patio at all? When my wife and I lived in a condo, that is where I did my first cutting with my dremel

Halcyon
05-20-2005, 02:49 AM
I dont have a patio unfortunately. I have a small 1 bedroom.

Anyway jigsaw vs dremel?

Malatory
05-20-2005, 09:13 AM
I dont have a patio unfortunately. I have a small 1 bedroom.

Anyway jigsaw vs dremel?

If you are wanting to make trial run at it. Get a 2x2' .025mm thick or one close to the case door from a hardware store and work on that.

Lack of space is going to be a problem, do you have an area you can work on by your front door? (small note: Dont do mods in an apt at 2am someone might not like it to much :D )

Frakk
05-20-2005, 02:59 PM
Anyway jigsaw vs dremel?
Whatever you feel is better fits.

Tech-Daddy
05-20-2005, 04:09 PM
Look up Water Jet cutting services since you will be working with Alu. Plasma can cause warping if your design is too delicate and detailed.

There is a guy that you can ship your panel to and he will cut the design for you...
Crim has used him before....Custom Water Jet services (http://www.customwatercuts.com/)

Halcyon
05-21-2005, 05:12 AM
Ya I'm going to try to get over to my uncles place, he has a jigsaw, and I bought some blades today.

I masked it all off, and outlined the cut.
I plan on setting up a guide as well for straight cuts.

What do you recommend for sanding / grinding the cut afterwards?
Any type of sandpaper or file?

Xato
05-21-2005, 07:05 AM
file to get rid of any burs on the edge that could cut into the sand paper, and to generally smoothen the cuts... then sandpaper to round them off nicely, start out with lower grit then get higher if you want the metal edge to be nice and smooth.

Halcyon
05-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Should I hit up the auto parts store for sandpaper?
I'm guessing I should get something made for metal work.