PDA

View Full Version : Big White And Ugly: at least it has cool lights.

FireFoxConn
12-06-2006, 12:34 PM
I recently got a hold of a tower pc that fits my ABIT SL6 mobo and two hdds with three drive bays and two 3.5" drive bays... it was bare bones... nothing in it except mounting hardware and a 400w psu.(the pci slot covers hadn't even been punched out yet). I got to work swiftly and surely (because i've done this many times before) and screwed in the mobo and disk drives, punched out the pci slot covers and placed the video card and sound card in... arranged and tied the cables and hooked them up... placed two fans in the front and one in the back... installed the processor... put a little artic silver ceramic heat compound on the heatsink and placed a large fan on it... hooked up the all four of the ACPI complient fans to the board and set out looking at what mods i could do to the case its self. first i noticed that there was enough space at the top between the cd drive and psu to place a small high speed fan i have... the only problem was i didnt have my cutting tools with me... so i grabed a sharpy and started outlining my holes for fans and accesories then i drew a large shape for a plexi glass window on the side panel. the case has a three piece shell (two sides and a top) and a rather nice looking front panel. I didnt like the color of the lights so i whent out and got two leds... one white and one blue... hot glued them in place and wired it... liked the look of it... end of story. but not quite... there was a small prolem. The three larger drive bays didnt come with covers... so i placed a fan grill in the center of the open two bays below my cd drive and fited some foam around it so no air could escape and recirculate. and i decided that was enough for then until i could get a hold of something to cut the shell with.

I'll get some pictures of it... it actually looks dull but it works pretty well.

AJ@PR
12-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Yaiy!!!!

Pictures!!!!

FireFoxConn
12-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Yaiy!!!!

Pictures!!!!

:( I need to get my camera working:(

never buy a digital camera for $10 at walgreens:D

and it doesnt help that the schools internet is my only portal to the forums for now.
I'll put some pics on my flash drive and try to upload them.

b4i7
12-06-2006, 01:43 PM
never buy a digital camera for $10 at walgreens:D

please tell me youre talkin aobut the 10 dollar mini american idol camera...

FireFoxConn
02-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Ok people, sorry Its taken me so long to get back to the forums. But I now have pictures of this project. :D

Here is a picture of the front and side:
As you can see it is Kinda Ugly but I finally cut out the window and placed a 12" 24 RGB LED bar under it. (RGB is red green blue by the way) But it is very bright... It usually is what lights up the room! :D
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u174/firefoxconn/untitled.jpg

FireFoxConn
02-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Here is another picture showing the five PCI cards installed on the ABIT SL6 mobo. I have in order from top to bottom a D-link wireless Lan Wi- Fi Card, a Netgear gigabyte Lan card, a USB 2.0 five port expansion card, 7.1 Audigy 2 Sound card w/ fire wire port, and an Nvidia GeForce MX4000 video card. and I still have room for two more pci cards but I don't want to bring the performance down with uneeded PCI cards.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u174/firefoxconn/backend.jpg

FireFoxConn
02-22-2007, 11:32 PM
Ok an update on this project:
I am planning a new radiator rig to place on the top.
I also took the cover of the power supply to allow more air flow throughout the case. I think for a new cooling system I'm going to mount a copper radiator with two fans attached to it on the top. I'm going to bend my own fuel line like tubing I want to get from ACE hardware and coil it around a copper tube about an inch thick and mount a fan on one end, then I'll take a copper plate and use that for a radiator base on my processor. and solder some fins about five centimeters high to it and then solder the tube to the fins upright. It may be easier to draw this on paper then to try and explain it.
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u174/firefoxconn/Radiator.gif
Ok so there it is. I'll have a fan on the top of the tube as well.
Tell me what you think about this idea.