PDA

View Full Version : IRC Client with port forwarding

The_Wippuh
05-19-2005, 05:23 PM
I'm looking for an irc client with port forwarding. The firewall here at work has the default irc ports blocked. I've tried to use a http tunneler but it doesn't work very well as I'm constantly getting disconnected.

Anyone have any suggestions for a solution?

Frakk
05-19-2005, 06:23 PM
what do you mean port forwarding? if the ports are blocked by the firewall, you cannot do anything with it from within the network by an other client. you might wanna try it with a proxy.

Malatory
05-20-2005, 09:26 AM
Does your company allow the use to SSH?

quick and easy method would be. Setup a small linux server and have your home network allow port 22 to that machine from the out side world. The get Putty (Windows Free SSH client) on your work desk top - no install needed. Connect using ssh to your home machine and use screen and bitchx connect to irc. (Screen will give you the ablity to keep the IRC open even after you disconected at work and drive home - granted you do it correctly)

Some of the bigger conpanies dont let you use SSH for personal stuff.

EDIT: VNC & TinnyVNC are other options as well (MS remote desktop gagle of security holes IMHO).

The_Wippuh
05-20-2005, 03:13 PM
quick and easy method would be. Setup a small linux server

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Xato
05-21-2005, 07:09 AM
Writing you own cell scripts is easy!

lol, Linus has seriously come a long way though... You can easily get versions with common GUI's.