PDA

View Full Version : HD tv tuner cards

b4i7
12-12-2006, 01:17 PM
so my dad has an ATI hdtv wonder card in his vaio... the only problem is.. for that card to work....he needs to have a regular tuner card installed also, making upgrading anything else impossible

i was wondering if there is another HD tuner card out there that you dont have to have a second regulat tuner card already installed?

b4i7
12-12-2006, 02:48 PM
he says it has somethin to do with media center edition of XP....but if he upgrades to vista ...the problem will be gone...

Blade
12-17-2006, 04:19 PM
A lot of "XP Problems" will be solved with Vista...

Microsoft actually solving problems with good programming i'l believe it when i see it, sides Vista is going to be problematic i'm not even going to bother buying it.

Aero
12-17-2006, 06:40 PM
Microsoft actually solving problems with good programming i'l believe it when i see it, sides Vista is going to be problematic i'm not even going to bother buying it.

Like all OS's when it first comes out it will have bugs. But they will get worked out and I believe it will be better than XP (although thats not saying much).

About the tuner card, I find that strange. I've got a regular non-HD tuner thats always worked fine, just plug it in an go. I find it hard to believe that sony would sell a computer with only 1/2 of what it needs to work, this might be something to call tech support about.

b4i7
12-17-2006, 07:58 PM
no...the vaio came with a non hd card....and my dad wanted to upgrade to an HD card in it.... after buying it and not bein able to figure out why it wasnt working....we did some googling and it turns out this card has trouble working with media center edition...

jdbnsn
12-17-2006, 08:09 PM
I used the ATI HDTV Wonder with XP Pro and MCE 2005, worked fine. I did have to run cable from the wall to the ATI card instead of the HD antenna and switched out when needed. I may have even tried a splitter, but can't remember how this worked out.

b4i7
12-17-2006, 08:32 PM
hmm...thx...ill try that idea with him nex weekend

jaxspades
12-18-2006, 03:32 AM
Vista is not going to be that problematic, blade, in fact, I found a website that reviewed it quite well and in depth.

http://www.winsupersite.com/vista/

It seems like they've been working hard with it. I'm sure it will have problems-there will never be a perfect OS while the world keeps spinning, but I think that all in all, Vista will be worth it--especially if you plan on using DX10, 64bit processing, and many more options that other OSes just do not have as of yet. (Well, 64bit processing is around on other OSes, but Vista is doing it en masse).

I'm optimistic--I'm looking forward to Vista.

As for Tuner cards, I'll ask around and see if I can find anything. I've never used one myself, but I have some people who are in the know.

jdbnsn
12-18-2006, 03:31 PM
I use an ATI TV Wonder Elite with my Media Center Edition 2005 and it works quite well. I like it better than the HDTV Wonder infact, there are so few HDTV channels you can get with the antenna, and even when I did get some they were choppy as hell while viewing. Though this may have been configuration problems.