PDA

View Full Version : 3pin fan - yellow?

Halcyon
05-23-2005, 05:10 PM
I ordered a replacement fan for a hard drive enclosure that went on me.

Anyway long story short, the fan came with a 3-pin connector attached.. even though it was pictured on the site as having bare leads ( black and red only ).

Now I can easily strip and solder.. but I'm wondering what do I do with the yellow wire? Do i just terminate it or what?

Thanks

Frakk
05-23-2005, 06:02 PM
the yellow wire is for speed monitoring, if you dont wish to keep that feature, you can cut it down.

Halcyon
05-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Do i ned to tape it off or anything or can i just snip it?

Frakk
05-23-2005, 07:58 PM
you dont need to tape it since the cut will not expose the wire only a little and if you cut it close to the pcb, it wont hang into anything.

MrSlacker
05-23-2005, 08:07 PM
just cut it off and leave as little as you can so it wont touch anything

Halcyon
05-23-2005, 08:48 PM
ok cool thanks

Guttenaffe
05-25-2005, 03:59 AM
The yellow wire is connected to a secondary "Hall Effect" detector. This is mostly a coil of wire that when under influence of the N pole of one of the two magnets on the rotor hub it will put off ~+2VDC and the amount of current pulsed down the line is how fast (can be converted to RPM I forget the conversion factor) the rotor is spinning.

It's not needed and can be removed, I'd suggest disordering it from the fan. Or use some 'flat dikes' and cut off as close to the PCB as you can. Try not to leave extra material floating about, it's not good.