PDA

View Full Version : UV Reactice cable insulation

{eVo}Ceribrus
05-25-2005, 12:12 AM
I could really use the advice of a guy who knows his stuff about UV reactive gear, Let me tell you why.

I have a new system that was custom build by a friend on mine, its a clear perspex case with a blue tint, and i have put 2 UV tubes inside stuck to the base so that the UV shines up, all the cables inside have been neatly bunched up with cable ties and then wrapped in a "UV reactive" kind of cable insulation that looks like a plastic wrap which is cork srewed so all you do is just twist it around the cables.

Now the problem i am having is that it seems like the UV bulbs do not make the cables glow as much as i would like, in fact you can hardly tell that they are shining at all.

The only thing i can think of is that initially i got the wrong bulbs and ended up with two Neon bulbs, i then reordered and got uv, but in my lazyness i just popped out the Neons and stuck in the UV's onto the Neons power box, which is like a black box twice the length of a match box, Will the neon power supply be a different power output to the uvs? if so all i need to do is swap, however, i do not think it will make much difference as i have unplugged one to see if the other brightens up, and there was little difference to be honest.

Also could it be i have simply bought some naff UV reactive cable insulation? or i have some Neon LEDS on my fans which are also blue could the UV be nutralised by the shining neon LEDS? or is that just such a dumb question that means i need a good kicking?

any advice is welcome, thank you people.

Xato
05-25-2005, 05:41 AM
My friend is a UV freak, and he found that some brands of UV cold cathodes are just really nerfed and crap. He bought a different brand somewhere else and they were almost twice as bright as the other pair. It may be your cathodes or UV reactive gear, but i wouldn't recomend mixing and matching inverters etc for lighting, could get messy in some cases.

Malatory
05-25-2005, 09:47 AM
From my personal experiance, Most UV light does not travel in white light very well. I had starting building a system that would use UV light and UV reactive cables to get it to light up bright. The Draw back I had was UV LED Fans would only React with the fans. the CCFL would only react about 6" away from the light source. So I was having to add more LED's & CCFL to get the effect I wanted.

(UV Leds in Mice works but you need a WHITE mousing surface for it to work - and response in games would be bad).

{eVo}Ceribrus
05-26-2005, 01:20 PM
My friend is a UV freak, and he found that some brands of UV cold cathodes are just really nerfed and crap. He bought a different brand somewhere else and they were almost twice as bright as the other pair. It may be your cathodes or UV reactive gear, but i wouldn't recomend mixing and matching inverters etc for lighting, could get messy in some cases.

You think you could get a few links from your friend so he can recommend a brand? as i am not very happy with the way it looks atm.

Thanks.

Xato
05-27-2005, 12:34 AM
I'll chat with him tonight, he's still at school, gogo early leave fridays

{eVo}Ceribrus
05-29-2005, 09:13 AM
Ok thanks i appriciate your efforts and look forward to your feedback :)