PDA

View Full Version : iPod Nano / iTunes 7.0.2

Omega
12-18-2006, 12:26 AM
Alright. Normally, I would be nano bashing and also bashing the new version of iTunes, but I just got a nano (early christmas present from my dad, 8gb, black) and it's pretty slick. It's small, very light, and has no moving parts! Huzzah!

The iPod has a nice aluminium shell (this is new, and pretty nifty), closely resembling that of the iPod mini. The black version is all color matched -- wheel and all. It has a color screen and can show photos (but no videos, sorry), and I'll see about Album Artwork soon. Oh, and it holds a charge like no tomorrow -- constant use for a few hours didn't even phase the thing. Once agian, solid state memory, HUZZAH! Actaul formatted capacity is 7.4gb, and not 8. But that's to be expected.

iTunes 7.0.2 is pretty slick, too. It'll find all your album artwork (that it can, of course). Which is quite a bit. I was suprised to see that it could find Futuristic Sex Robotz' "Hotel Coral Essex" album cover. It has a new feature, too -- you can scroll through album covers. Pretty nifty.

So yeah, I'd say, if you're on the edge, go ahead and buy it. I'll do a better review later. Maybe.

Omega
12-18-2006, 02:06 AM
Update: The iPod does show album artwork <3

simon275
12-18-2006, 06:01 AM
My Dad got one for my Mum for their wedding anniversary. I had a play with it. It is pretty slick. So whats the deal Nano's use flash memory?

Omega
12-18-2006, 10:20 PM
My Dad got one for my Mum for their wedding anniversary. I had a play with it. It is pretty slick. So whats the deal Nano's use flash memory?

Yeah, they use flash-based or Solid State memory. Alot more durable and "sporty" than normal iPods.

The only downside is the high-end (8gb) nano costs as much as the low-end (30gb) video. and Honestly, I'd rather have the video (i mean, it plays videos!)

But the smallness of the nano is pretty freakin' great, too.

xRyokenx
12-18-2006, 11:29 PM
PM progbuddy, he can send you in the direction for Linux for iPods, I know this because I've seen his Nano, and it's pretty sweet, you can watch videos, play Doom (I think you can...), etc. He hasn't used it since he got his Zune though... those things look sweet, I'd like one... but, maybe as a graduation gift, you can only buy so much whilst on minimum wage. Okay, I may earn 25 cents more per hour, but it's still minimum.

Omega
12-19-2006, 12:26 AM
PM progbuddy, he can send you in the direction for Linux for iPods, I know this because I've seen his Nano, and it's pretty sweet, you can watch videos, play Doom (I think you can...), etc. He hasn't used it since he got his Zune though... those things look sweet, I'd like one... but, maybe as a graduation gift, you can only buy so much whilst on minimum wage. Okay, I may earn 25 cents more per hour, but it's still minimum.

I've put Linux on iPods before, both my 3rd Gen and 4th Gen ran it.

=]

PauL
12-19-2006, 02:18 AM
Could someone link a tutorial on how to do that. I got a Nano and would love to watch videos and "Show off" to friends how I can watch videos with my nano without having an iPod Video

Omega
12-19-2006, 09:30 PM
If you've never done it before, it can be quite a challenge. I've found the iPodLinux installer doens't like 2nd Generation iPod Nano's on USB.

iPodLinux also voids your warranty, and while you get nifty stuff with it, is too big of a risk for new iPods. If you had a 3rd gen or something, then yeah.

anywho, ipodlinux.org is their website. read up, enjoy, and decide afterwords.