PDA

View Full Version : Speakers

Ronyx
12-18-2006, 04:14 AM
I'm looking for some decent speakers for my new rig. Something not very expensive yet provides good sound quality and pleasant on the eye. Doesn't have to be an exact model, could be just a brand.

In AU money, nothing above 200$. Meaning 150$ is a good price. This is going to be hooked up to the Asus Striker Extreme board so i need atleast 5.1 channels. 7.1 would be good

I was thinking Logitech but am not sure if they make good speakers. Zalman maybe?

Zephik
12-18-2006, 04:48 AM
Logitech is an excellent brand for speakers. I can tell you from first hand experience that both of these products are awesome.

Logitech X-530 (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/GB/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=9067) ($$)

Logitech Z-5500 (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/GB/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=9486) ($$$)

For me, one of the main things I look at is SNR (signal to noise ratio). I never pick out anything less than 80. The Logitech X-530 is 96 I believe. The Logitech Z-5500 is just slightly above 90, which is really good as the best I have seen for computer speakers is like 120 or something like that. I don't know what others will say about my method for choosing speakers, but it has worked for me.

I would pick either the X-530 or maybe these THX (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836121121) ones that are a bit less than the Z-5500. But man, that Z-5500 is flipping insane. Be prepared for, imo, the ultimate sound experience if you can scratch up enough money for them. Which you could get if you picked out a different mobo. The Stiker Extreme needs some work, so I don't suggest it for it's current price at all. It's an enthusiast board that fails to be just that.

-SnowFire

Ronyx
12-18-2006, 05:13 AM
Although the Z5500 would be EXCELLENT and would go great with the Sirius case, they're too expensive... 475$ AU. Whereas the X530 are only 95$ AU.

If i could get a dealer to lower it to about 300$ then i would go for them, but for now i'll go with the X530. My dad had a look around today and came back home, told me to find some good speakers for my new comp so i asked here. Now i find out he knew about the X530 and was gonna suggest them to me.

Thxs anyway Snow =]

simon275
12-18-2006, 05:48 AM
X530 = Crap.

Sub is muddy as and the speakers are just plain cheap.

You are better buying a nice 2.1 setup. With two speakers and a sub. With the option to upgrade.

My to cents.

You are at an interesting price point. You got more the stero speakers but no quite enough for a decent 5.1 system.

IF you really want 5.1 maybe check out a Aussie company AVLABS they have a pretty good 5.1 system for rrp of $210. It scored an 8 out 10 in Atomic magazines speaker roundup. I would suggest this over the X530

http://www.anyware.com.au/Browse/87d615bac3f442c192d228ec801faed4001ItemDetail.aspx

Australia
AVLabs - Sales
Phone: 1300 300 364
Fax: 1300 304 364
support@avlabs.net
www.avlabs.net

AV Labs dont have this product listed on their site but its is available. It may be worth ringing them up and having a hunt around.

Ronyx
12-18-2006, 06:04 AM
is this from a first hand experience or you heard from a friend of a friend's cousin's sister's roommate?

simon275
12-18-2006, 06:11 AM
Friend + A few good reviews.

AJ@PR
12-18-2006, 10:10 AM
I've got the Z-5500... and.... it's definitely worth the money.

I've got it hooked-up with an optical cable to my xBox (as my motherboard is on its way to NewEgg right now).

But that system is AMAZING.
The subwoofer, properly setup, rattles all the windows in my house.
Ahhh... nothing like seeing AND feeling a rocket blowing up near you.

BTW: I want to mod these speakers... I want to install 3 120mm fans on the rear heatsinks... so it runs cool all the time. Oh gosh... I'm moddin' my speakers... I'm a lost case...

Zephik
12-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Try reading the reviews for products that you are interested in on Newegg.com too.

Logitech X-530 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836121118)

Logitech Z-5500 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836121120)

?Altec Lansing Model 5.1 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836113007)?

Those are the ones that have been mentioned in this thread thus far. I couldn't find anything from Simon275, but he is a good guy and pretty trustworthy with his knowledge, so his two cents is worth taking a closer look at for sure. *cough* although I disagree with the X-530 crap remark *cough* ;)

Is that the system you have MintyMadness? It's the only one on newegg that was a 5.1 setup I think. The newegg search thing could of told me wrong.

Here are some more top products with top reviews. If the link works the way I want it to that is. If not, then just go to newegg and check out the speakers and then sort them by popularity.

Popular Speakers on Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Order=POPULARITY&Page=1&Category=37&N=2000370060&Submit=ENE&Nty=1&SubCategory=60)

-SnowFire

Omega
12-18-2006, 07:37 PM
You shouldn't really worry about 5.1/7.1 unless you're a big cinematics person or an audiophile. I have found that Creative makes a very nice set of 2.1's, not sure of the price, but they have nice audio quality. The subwoofer is only something like 5", but it is a wooden cone (yes, wooden cone speakers exist, and it has GREAT bass) and the normal drivers are pretty small, but effective as well.

Now, while this may not be as good as some Logitech sets, Creative is still quality.

If you can't find the 2.1's I'm talking about, than pretty much anything else work.

Fear
12-18-2006, 07:40 PM
Go with creative. I am begging you to buy creative. Not only does creative labs make the best sound cards, but there systems have the BEST BASS! They got a 7.1 on newegg for $80

Zephik
12-18-2006, 08:08 PM
I agree with Fear about the sound cards. They make good sound cards. But I wouldn't go as far as "begging" due to user experience. I could beg you to get the Z-5500 because I have had a very excellent user experience with it. But I know that the decision is yours to make so I don't beg. ;)

Creative does have some excellent speakers. From what I have heard at least. I think its pretty safe to say that logitech and creative are the best companies out there for speakers.

Fear: I believe you have a sound card from creative don't you? or am I thinking of someone else? What did you get? Pro's and Con's?

-SnowFire

DaveW
12-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Creative has some excellent speakers though. From what I have heard at least. I think its pretty safe to say that logitech and creative are the best companies out there for speakers.

For Computers, certainly. Although you can get some really good stuff if you go to an Audio shop and get your own amps and kit. There's a pawn shop in Glasgow that gets a lot of High Quality Audio kit on a regular basis, and most people can't tell the difference between low and high quality, so that's a great place to pick up a bargain.

If you do your homework first, you'd be surprised at how much you can save by being clever.

-Dave

Zephik
12-18-2006, 08:25 PM
For Computers, certainly. Although you can get some really good stuff if you go to an Audio shop and get your own amps and kit. There's a pawn shop in Glasgow that gets a lot of High Quality Audio kit on a regular basis, and most people can't tell the difference between low and high quality, so that's a great place to pick up a bargain.

If you do your homework first, you'd be surprised at how much you can save by being clever.

-Dave

Never thought of doing that, I bet you could save alot of money doing it that way. It makes sense too. Building your own computer is cheaper than buying one. Same with H2O kits.

-SnowFire

Indybird
12-18-2006, 10:32 PM
I've had the Z-5500s for over a year now and lemme tell you, you wont regret getting those if you do: 500 Watts of pure beastly power, but doesnt lose fidelity in the power. I've had it hooked up to my comp via optical and the sound is unbelievably clear. Lastly, the woofer will vibrate your whole house. Then again it sounds a little too expensive for you. If you can't get that I'd go with the Z-5300e, which are like 300w and THX certified.

If for some strange reason you don't want Logitechs, go for Creative up next; their pretty nice.

Hope that helps,
Indybird

AJ@PR
12-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Lastly, the woofer will vibrate your whole house.
Hey Indy,
How do you have your sub setup?

I played with mine, until I got it at an angle against the wall (the grill part), then the port (black plastic 'horn') is pointed at where I sit.
Apparently, this arrangement provides some kick-ass 'resonance' against the wall, and... well... it rattles stuff off the shelves. :D

How's yours? Just wondering. :)

AJ@PR
12-19-2006, 12:54 PM
I can hear what avril lavrigne is saying when my sister blast some of her CRAP, when Im down in the basement in the evening..
anyway..
-Jeremy
What's wrong with Avril La...

wait

wait...
stop
edit
EDIT
back
BACK!

CanaBalistic
12-20-2006, 03:33 AM
For a true thearter experiance, you need a home thearter.

I have a middle aged 500w Sony home thearter reciver $15(asumed broken). Two 150w 15 inch kenwood fronts $200(most expencive component). Two sony mini surrounds obtained from a deal i made. A smaller 85w 8 inch powered subwoofer $30.

Last summer, i hosted a few concerts from my balcony. I've got more bass than i can throw a stick at and unbelieveable surround clarity. I've never had the balls to turn the volume past 6 on the dial, its over-powering at 4. Although i know it could handel at least 8.5 given the chance.

Ronyx
12-20-2006, 04:36 AM
wow thanks for all the replies guys, sorry i haven't replied. This post has seemed to slip my mind. But i'm back now.
Anyway can i get a model number or something for those creative speakers? I'll check them out but for now i'm either going with the X530 or the Creative ones.

I have another question tho. If i were to tell you that i was buying these speakers cheap now so that after a month or two i could get better ones. What would you guys say? Should i still get these speakers or should i get some good Surround Sound Headphones instead? This way it seems like a bit of a waste even tho they will fall into my dads hands, after i've gotten the better Z5500 model, to go with his newly modded case (done by me very soon).

Should i still get speakers even tho i'm going to replace them in a month or two with better ones? Or should i get some good surround sound headphones now so i don't end up wasting some perfectly good speakers later on?

Indybird
12-20-2006, 09:25 AM
I've got the average setup.

^
_____[]
<______________>

v___________v

^ = Center, <> = Left and Right Front, [] = Subwoofer, vv = Left and Right Rear
(Ignore the lines)

Just your average 5.1 speaker setup...

CanaBalistic
12-21-2006, 12:55 AM
I would definitly wait. Use that extra money to buy even better speakers.

Some good brands:

Klipche
Hardmon & kardon
RCA
Logitech
Creative
Kenwood
Sony
Nuance
Pro Audio
Yamaha
Paradigm