PDA

View Full Version : No Floppy

reddog418
05-27-2005, 04:53 AM
Is it possible to exclude the floppy drive from the PC entirely? If so, how is this done? It would save some much needed space in my current project. Thanks!

Pascs
05-27-2005, 06:27 AM
floppy drive........whats's that ??? Most new laptops dont have a floppy drive for the same reason - to save space - just use a USB floppy drive if you need one - about $30 max.

If you are using raid then I think WinXP needs the driver from a floppy drive but I'm guessing that a usb floppy or usb drive would work also.

temmink
05-27-2005, 06:40 AM
Worst case scenario you can take of the side and plug in a fdd anyway just for installs anyway, just dont hide the cables for it where they are too hard to get to :)

reddog418
05-27-2005, 06:48 AM
So once the computer HD is formatted and an OS is installed, the computer no longer needs a FDD to boot?

temmink
05-27-2005, 06:50 AM
Nope

Pascs
05-27-2005, 07:42 AM
Sorry first post wasn't too clear........floppy drive is only required when installing the OS

Frakk
05-27-2005, 03:20 PM
floppy drive is only required when installing the OS
i havent had a floppy drive for over a year now and ive reinstalled the OS a couple times :D

reddog: you can take the floppy out, no probs. assuming you know how to disconnect it and unscrew the screws, im not going to explain that part :) in the bios, there is a setting regarding to booting without floppy and keyboard. older mobos didnt allow booting without any of these, but now you can disable the warning and continue booting even if they are absent. instead of the floppy drive you can use usb drives, most newer bios versions can even boot from usb devices. but i cant see any use of that either because you can boot up from install cds as well. having said that, i hope ure clear about the matter by now :)

Whisp
05-27-2005, 05:02 PM
I just disconnect the floppy and remove it once my sata drivers are installed and system is up and running..

MrSlacker
05-27-2005, 05:14 PM
i have floppy in mine. even though i dont use, its better for it to be there just in case

reddog418
05-27-2005, 11:14 PM
Excellent. Thanks!

daratbastid
05-30-2005, 11:53 AM
Is it possible to exclude the floppy drive from the PC entirely? If so, how is this done? It would save some much needed space in my current project. Thanks!

:eek: Good grief are you for real?

Well there is always the possibility of CPU meltdown... The excess voltage that the floppy would otherwise consume would be redirected to the CPU core and melt it and all surrounding electronics with 10 feet :D

MrSlacker
05-30-2005, 12:01 PM
:eek: Good grief are you for real?
thats not a nice way to reply especially when you just joined. he had a question, yes it was silly, but it doesnt give anyone the right to make fun of him. :rolleyes:

reddog418
05-30-2005, 01:33 PM
8 years of computers and I never knew you could do that. You probably didn't even know and are acting cool about it and making fun of me. Don't worry, we all know you're full of crap. :p

The biggest reason I didn't know this was because I'm used to dealing with older computers, and every time I forget to plug in the floppy the boot yells at me. So I never realized to unplug it after the formatting. I'm sorry, not everyone can know everything in the world about computers like you do.

Zeus
05-30-2005, 06:47 PM
8 years of computers and I never knew you could do that. You probably didn't even know and are acting cool about it and making fun of me. Don't worry, we all know you're full of crap. :p

The biggest reason I didn't know this was because I'm used to dealing with older computers, and every time I forget to plug in the floppy the boot yells at me. So I never realized to unplug it after the formatting. I'm sorry, not everyone can know everything in the world about computers like you do.

true true. Only enough room on this planet for one of me

NOT!!!...the only thing I know better than anything else, is that the people on this forum have probably forgotten more than I could hope to learn ;) :rolleyes:

daratbastid
05-30-2005, 09:14 PM
thats not a nice way to reply especially when you just joined. he had a question, yes it was silly, but it doesnt give anyone the right to make fun of him. :rolleyes:

:? easy killer I wasn't making fun of anyone

daratbastid
05-30-2005, 09:16 PM

:rolleyes:

MrSlacker
05-30-2005, 09:21 PM
i am not gonna start a flame war coz i have too much respect for Admins here. so lets forget about it

Zeus
05-30-2005, 09:22 PM
we'll consider the treaty signed and ratified

daratbastid
05-30-2005, 09:45 PM
i am not gonna start a flame war coz i have too much respect for Admins here. so lets forget about it

thanks..from the "newbee" ;)

Frakk
05-30-2005, 09:55 PM
play nice kiddies :D

Malatory
05-31-2005, 09:57 AM
On some of the newer machines I been building a slipstream disk for my XP installs and it takes the need to even have a floppy out of the loop. I have not used a floppy in my home machines in over 5 years.

I use to keep one around just incase I needed to do boot into my one of the machines into linux (Had a x server up and boot kernal that fit on a floppy), but not it is just as easy to make a boot CD. I am working on getting things setup that I can just install PXE and have the Image loaded over the network.

ZeD
06-01-2005, 05:57 PM

he's from staten island, thats just the way they talk, they are always angry that they got cut off from the rest of ny, just like manhattenites

MrSlacker
06-01-2005, 06:27 PM
he's from staten island, thats just the way they talk, they are always angry that they got cut off from the rest of ny, just like manhattenites
hahahaha! so true, so true!

daratbastid
06-01-2005, 08:43 PM

:D